+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Single parent adoption...

Can single parents adopt? Is there a minimum income requirement?

Just curious - I'm a single mum of a 15 month-old and wouldn't rule out adopting in the future.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Most programs I've seen like parents to be married or defacto longer than 5 years but I hope I'm wrong

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ow, how wrong! Like being married defines your relationship, and your ability to parent and offer love!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do totally agree maybe look at fostering and adopting/ permanent care through there? They'll accept single parents as far as I know (I could be wrong though)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Single people definitely can foster kids.

My FIL and his wife have three permanent foster kids - they are permanently in their care until they are 18. They got the first when she was 3, the second when he was 3 days old and the third when she was 2 months old. Permanent foster care could be your "loop hole"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Single people can do foster and permanent care. This is probably your best bet.

No overseas adoption program allows single people to adopt anymore. I'm not sure about local adoption independent of the foster/permanent care path but there are very few adoptions done that way anymore because very few people in Australia put their babies up for adoption.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep a good friend of mine is a foster parent and has been a single mum for 17 years now. Adopting is unfortunately a no no I too have looked into adoption.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice everyone.....

Well I think the international rules are a huge slap in the face to single parents - assuming two parents is better than one is so wrong in so many cases.

The fostering idea is a good one - I would need to look into it further.... in terms of things like whether you'd be restricted as to where you live (would you be confined to living in the one place forever so that foster child is close to natural parents...??); How much contact with the natural parent's etc etc - this could be a real problem if they cause a lot of grief and trouble for you....? Could they take the child away at any time without notice?? I don't know if I could handle that.

Perhaps I should just go out and pick up some random guy, seduce him and get pregnant that way - I suppose that's legal!! (Joking, but it seems to me they have it all so wrong.... there's too many children in the world needing good homes and single or not, if someone wants to provide that, that's a good thing IMO!)
    Last edited by Ellewood; 22-12-2011 at 07:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My FIL's foster kids each see their parents once a fortnight, under supervision by an access agency. The usually see them for an hour.

I am pretty sure (though not 100%) that the natural parents can't get the child back once they are under permanent care. The courts award the Foster Parent guardianship until the child is 18. I know with one of FIL's foster children that the natural parents have gone on to have another two children together and those children have remained in their care, but they can't have the one with FIL back - it would probably be quite traumatic for the little guy because FIL and his wife are the only parents he has ever known (they've had him since he was 3 days old).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leah28 View Post
    My FIL's foster kids each see their parents once a fortnight, under supervision by an access agency. The usually see them for an hour.

I am pretty sure (though not 100%) that the natural parents can't get the child back once they are under permanent care. The courts award the Foster Parent guardianship until the child is 18. I know with one of FIL's foster children that the natural parents have gone on to have another two children together and those children have remained in their care, but they can't have the one with FIL back - it would probably be quite traumatic for the little guy because FIL and his wife are the only parents he has ever known (they've had him since he was 3 days old).
    What happens when he is 18? CAn your FIL 'adopt' him as an adult? If its not too personal - how can the biological parents 'lose' one child but be deemed competent enough to keep subsequent children?