+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question anyone had hysteroscopy before?Worry about period after hysteroscopy.

Hi,
    I had hysteroscopy 6 weeks ago. The doctor did not find anything wrong inside. Everything is fine. He said I am ready for ivf. But after this operation , I find my period is much less than before and less than mormal bleeding. I had very heavy bleeding before, I wish period back to normal flow.
    Is there anyone in the forum had hysteroscopy knows about it.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi goodhope,
    I had a hysteroscopy, laparoscopy, d&c and dye test back in May/June. The doctor also did not find anything wrong with me. After the operation my periods were a bit strange - for 3 months I had spotting before my period which I had never had before and my period was lighter than normal. Fortunately spotting got less and less each month and my period is back to normal now. Hope this helps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Goodhope

Did you have a D&C?

I had a laparoscopy and hysteroscopy a couple of years ago, while she was there, she gave me a D&C, which made AF much lighter and much less painful, which I must admit I was pretty happy about, being pain free! It also mucked up my usually very regular cycle for about 6 months.

HTH

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,
    A hysteroscopy procedure is essentially just putting a camera scope into your uterus to have a look around to check for things like polyps, fibroids, and anything else that might not look normal in the uterine lining.

A hysteroscopy would not cause your periods to change. Given that they have, I would suspect that you have been given a D&C as well. A D&C removes the uterine lining so that it can hopefully build back up nice and healthy again. It can take a few months to do this. During your period, you don't shed your entire lining, so over time you should notice an increase in period flow again.

You would need to ask your doctor exactly what happened during the hysteroscopy, but as I said, the hysteroscopy alone would not cause your periods to change like this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for Lillabuggle and Amabel.
    Very helpful, I will wait another month to see if the peroid back to normal.
    Now just worry the operation may damage the line inside.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, Henja29,

Thanks for giving me so useful information. Sorry not know D&C. Could you tell .
    The doctor did not say he would do D$C before operation. but will ask him.
    The ultrasound found there is a fibroid in the uterus, he did not find during the operation. What i am worried is whether the head of hysterosocopy may damage the lining of uterus when the doc was looking for the fiboid. ??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Totallyy agree with Henja29! I had a hysterscopy too and FS did a D&C for me (wo me knowing I was going to do that). Thereafter I was not expecting AF to come but it did on time but very light flow, but more than spotting. I ask him and he said still will have AF but light..

Perhaps your FS has done a D&C for you, check with him. Yes a hysteroscopy or hysteroscopoy shouldnt cause AF to be light, unless D&C is done. I am doing a another lap and hyster mid DEc, hopefully my AF wont go mad since I wont be doing D&C this time.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Period after hystroscopy

I had hystroscopy at the London Bridge Hospital (UK) privately. I had two small uterine polyps removed. I had the procedure straight after my period. I had it done because of my anaemia and heavy periods (28 day cycle period, no flooding, just 5 day long periods with no pain and no clots). In 5 years i had 4 miscarriages at 3 months. I was told that it would be best to remove the polpys because it was causing my so called heavy periods, infertility and anaemia. So i paid £2500 hospital fee + £800 Dr fee + £200 consultation fee+£150 follow up fee + £600 anaesthetist fee and additional £400 for bloodtests and initial scan fees. Total of £4650. And everytime we see the consultant he charges another £150 with additional fees for tests! I didnt want to wait to have it on the NHS, as i wanted a particular gynae/fertility expert in his field. He was excellent.
    Procedure was uneventful, had no problems. Slight crampy pain for which I took nurofen, and 4 days of pink watery discharge.

My period started as usual on day 28 (after about 3 weeks of having the procedure). OMG!! it was heavy! now i know what heavy periods are! I have just had 3 excruciating days of pain on the left side, and heavy bleeding, with flooding (each time i got up i would start bleeding through my clothes), now i know what flooding means. On day 2 and 3, I had large heavy clots. I felt as if i was passing out my whole uterus. I am pretty sure the whole uterus fell out - the clot was huge. After passing out the large clot on day 3, I then suddenly stopped bleeding - nothing! the pain has gone too.

So, i dont know if i have been left in a worse state than before. I am not happy about being told that this would cure my heavy periods, because it hasn't. But i will wait to see if second period is any better.

Quote Originally Posted by goodhope View Post
    Hi,
    I had hysteroscopy 6 weeks ago. The doctor did not find anything wrong inside. Everything is fine. He said I am ready for ivf. But after this operation , I find my period is much less than before and less than mormal bleeding. I had very heavy bleeding before, I wish period back to normal flow.
    Is there anyone in the forum had hysteroscopy knows about it.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to hear your story. it is almost one year foafter the hysteroscopy, i did not find anything chang from my period. still heavy ,still pain. had a fresh cycle, but failed. so do not know what to do next.

hope yours is different from mine.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi frnz
    as u have gone thru this u might help me

i got my hysteroscopy done for polyp removal and heavy periods..after the procedure i bleeded for 7 days then it stopped BUT in my next cycle i have been bleeding for more than a month now that too so heavy with large pieces of blood clots...i have been trying to contact my doctor every week but she says its normal and not giving me appointment...she says wait for 3 more weeks and then visit her...i find this quite frustrating as i am feeling week inside and sick of flooding for sooooo long...i dont find this normal...can any of u share ur experience as i dont want to create anymore problem if the doctor is not good enough to identify the cause...she may be right but need confirmation from those who have gone through this procedure
    i want to have baby and ttc for a long time...i dont want to miss my chance by bleeding for so long... ..please help....
    Last edited by kuchisoni; 23-04-2013 at 11:31.