Kegel Excercises | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Kegel Excercises

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has really had any success with stress incontinence by doing kegel excercises? I know they rave about doing them but frankly I never remember.

I'm ttc baby #3 and the only thing that puts me off the idea is the stress incontinence. I've had it since DS and it did seem to get a little worse with DD, so I'm not looking forward to how it may be after #3 if I'm lucky enough to conceive.

I guess I'm just wondering.... is it worth my while to do them, or am I better off seeing a doc after #3 and seeking treatment if I feel I need to?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So, you've had stress incontinence for a while & haven't seen anyone yet? I would definitely see someone.

I didn't have issues after bub #1 with continence, but my Ob for bub #2 insists that all his patients see a continence nurse and then if needed a continence physio. I wasn't doing the exercises 100% correctly so I had to see the physio. She was great and all she had to do was to tell me how to do the exercises in a slightly different way and off I went.

BUT, then with bub #2, I had a really big bub (4.36kg) and she stretched everyone so much that now at 2 months later I just feel like I have proper feeling 'down below', previously I struggled to feel if I was doing the exercises properly, it felt so different to before bubs was born. I saw the physio at 6 weeks and I can't do the exercises at all - I'm contracting the muscles around the area, but none in the area that is needed. So, I'm doing some other special exercises and seeing her again next week and taking it from there. I had bad stress incontinence until about 4 weeks, then it started easing off, but it's still very much there.

I know it's a difficult topic to raise with a doctor or physio, but it is important. Just doing exercises is not enough when you already have incontinence, you need to get checked out.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Just the other day I read a really interesting article about how kegel exercises don't help you at all- that in fact instead of doing kegels you should be doing deep squats and holding them for as long as you can several times a day.

I'll see if I can find the link...

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Here it is- took a bit of creative googling to find- but happy reading!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your input ladies, much appreciated It's not really bad, but it is enough for me to not want to run or do anything too strenuous and I feel bad about that, because I have 2 very active kids and I'd love to be able to chase them around the park without having to say "wait, Mumma's gotta pee first"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    a really interesting article about how kegel exercises don't help you at all
    Hmmm..I'm reading that she's saying going overboard with Kegels don't help. Also, there's the suggestion that a lot of women do Kegels wrong. I have read books which suggest 200 Kegels a day. To me, that's overboard. I'm lucky if I get 20 in a time.

Kegels helped me after I birthed. However, I do admit walking and stretching (which includes squatting) has really made a difference.

It's not really bad, but it is enough for me to not want to run or do anything too strenuous
    When something interferes with your everyday living then it's bad.
    And if you leave it, it will only get worse.
    This isn't necessarily a pregnancy/birth issue. A lot of women from all walks of life suffer as you do.