+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default choosing the right school...help

Hi I am looking for help choosing the right school. I have decided i want a private school but the choice is enormous.

Any advice?

What can I do?

this is taking so much of my time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    have a tour of each ask questions you will get a feel in sure of it

-ask about class sizes?
    -do they have an after school care if needed?
    -there music, sport, arts departments?
    - what extra curricular stuff do they have available to students- chess club, sewing, after school sports etc
    - how do they support kids with extra needs ( If this is a need
    for you)
    - same goes with how will they excel your student If they are above level
    -school camps and performance nights

and ask anything else what u think will change your opinion on school good luck

I went with my friend to check out schoolsfor her daughter and man I got a good feel from one school and a horrible one from the other- funny thin is the horrible one was apparently the school to go to. not in our opinion.
    the girl ended up going to first school where the principal was so happy and open , the second one just wanted us to rush through the interview

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Think em pretty much said what I would've look for how the children are are they happy working quietly/ focused, how are the teachers ask about their approach to discipline and I'd say go with your 'gut' if your taking your child then maybe ask her opinion too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EmPowering View Post
    have a tour of each ask questions you will get a feel in sure of it

-ask about class sizes?
    -do they have an after school care if needed?
    -there music, sport, arts departments?
    - what extra curricular stuff do they have available to students- chess club, sewing, after school sports etc
    - how do they support kids with extra needs ( If this is a need
    for you)
    - same goes with how will they excel your student If they are above level
    -school camps and performance nights

and ask anything else what u think will change your opinion on school good luck

I went with my friend to check out schoolsfor her daughter and man I got a good feel from one school and a horrible one from the other- funny thin is the horrible one was apparently the school to go to. not in our opinion.
    the girl ended up going to first school where the principal was so happy and open , the second one just wanted us to rush through the interview
    Thanks very much..very interesting.

I have done a lot of what you suggested but the problem I find is deciphering all the information, as the schools are marketing to you and therefore never say anything bad. i also don't understand some things when they talk about results, IB etc

It is almost like you need an independent third party to be the middle man

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Try to get to one of the school events, like swim carnival/sports day/p&c event!

Then you can "mingle" with parents and see how the other parents are too! Private schools always have some event or another going and this way you can speak with the parents and get their opinions too. After all, they are dealing with the teachers/other students/programmes every day and in my experience, they tell you EVERYTHING. Rather than getting the regular "report card" of the school by the principal/registrar.

I was lucky that my job puts me in a position to interact with all the schools (private and public) on a regular basis and by attending these events is how I gathered info to put to DP for SD's school.

There's always going to be plus and minuses and ppl always have different opinions but for me it was a great way to see things. We then took SD to the "community" events (fetes/art shows etc) at the schools to see how she interacted with others there.

We are (most days) very happy with the private school we've chosen.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks.

Great advice.

I wonder if others are as confused as i am?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Ask for their annual report

Thanks
    Reviews
    My advice would be to ring up a few around you and ask for a tour. Very quickly, the 'tour guide' (principal, deputy, enrolments officer) will start to 'sell you their school. You will then pick up what you like and what is important to you. I went back and visited twice before I ended up enrolling. You will able to email questions that you think of later.

In the end though, a lot of parents (me included) say a school will just feel right.

Thanks
    Reviews
    aargh, i am confused too!! i don't even know if i want private or public to begin with. my dd is a pretty switched on child yet needs alot of attention. so i just don't know. im not sure if she will be better in a smaller private school where there are only so many kids or if she will thrive in a bigger public school...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would talk to locals. When we moved here I thought we would go with the local catholic school, but talking to hairdressers, neighbours, people in local shops etc, the public school has the best name, results etc so much that kids have been pulled from the catholic school in favour of this one public school. I would never have considered it before that.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub