+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Went to the gp and he thinks it's a bacterial infection and has given me antibiotics. Only prob is if it's thrush this antibiotics will make it worse
    I'm so confused

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
    Went to the gp and he thinks it's a bacterial infection and has given me antibiotics. Only prob is if it's thrush this antibiotics will make it worse
    I'm so confused
    What sort of an infection? So does that mean it isn't vasospasm or you have that as well as a bacterial infection.

Just asking because with DD1 I didn't know I had vasospasms and I went to 3 different GP's and got treated for thrush, infection and mastitis and none of it helped. Then I found out I had raynauds (you get vasospasm with it) so it was definitely the spasm and it all repeated with feeding DD2 and it was funny I had every health person comment on my blue and purple and white turning nipples telling me it was vasospams.

With the colour.. are you sure it is bruises? Because of the constant feeding mine hardly turned back to a normal colour at the start and looked permanently bruised even though they weren't, is was my reynauds stuff happening.

Anyway.. I do hope it is an infection and the GP is right.. because then it will all go away soon with the antibiotics! Just keep an open mind

I felt so sorry for you reading the pinching yourself post.. that is so how it is. So painful!!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyLittleTootsies For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (05-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyLittleTootsies View Post
    What sort of an infection? So does that mean it isn't vasospasm or you have that as well as a bacterial infection.

Just asking because with DD1 I didn't know I had vasospasms and I went to 3 different GP's and got treated for thrush, infection and mastitis and none of it helped. Then I found out I had raynauds (you get vasospasm with it) so it was definitely the spasm and it all repeated with feeding DD2 and it was funny I had every health person comment on my blue and purple and white turning nipples telling me it was vasospams.

With the colour.. are you sure it is bruises? Because of the constant feeding mine hardly turned back to a normal colour at the start and looked permanently bruised even though they weren't, is was my reynauds stuff happening.

Anyway.. I do hope it is an infection and the GP is right.. because then it will all go away soon with the antibiotics! Just keep an open mind

I felt so sorry for you reading the pinching yourself post.. that is so how it is. So painful!!!
    He didn't acknowledge the vasospasms but I have been having the magnesium and it's heaps better. I can see them changing from blue etc when it's vasospasm. He thinks bacterial infection because they're inflamed and a funny pink colour. I think it's thrush and I'm scared to take the antibiotics. I called the ABA and the lady I spoke to said she had never heard of bacterial infection in the nipples and I called the hospital and they said it sounds like thrush too.
    I'm going effing insane I've been crying all day

Thanks
    Reviews
    How frustrating that you keep getting mixed messages!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sjay For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (05-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you had cracked or bleeding nipples at all to make him think it could be bacterial? I did so they told me to use the Daktozin (I think that's what it is) and I think from memory it will help with thrush and bacterial infections. If you really are reluctant to try the antibiotics you could try the cream first for a few days and see how you go. There is an tablet they give you for nipple thrush - I think it's nilstat - does that sound like what he gave you?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (05-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    Have you had cracked or bleeding nipples at all to make him think it could be bacterial? I did so they told me to use the Daktozin (I think that's what it is) and I think from memory it will help with thrush and bacterial infections. If you really are reluctant to try the antibiotics you could try the cream first for a few days and see how you go. There is an tablet they give you for nipple thrush - I think it's nilstat - does that sound like what he gave you?
    He gave me penacillin antibiotics.
    I have the dakarin gel that i'm applying. I've decided not to take the antibiotics till tomorow and I'm going to maybe travel to the next town and see another lactation consultant.
    I have had cracks but they have healed from the sheilds.
    He said he couldn't see thrush in DDs mouth I think that's why he said it's not thrush. He also gave me panadeine forte because I had to feed in his office and was screaming
    The plan tonight is to express and syringe feed and apply the daktarin. Pharmacist gave me a probiotic with the antibiotics so taking that too.
    Newest problem...I think I have vaginal thrush too. Unless it's the stitches, I'm so itchy I can't sit still.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck tonight Etienne. You are so strong and are doing so so well!

You are such an inspiration I know nights are the hardest but you will get through it.

Thinking of you xoxo

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkiCuddles For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (05-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by flaneur View Post
    Oh, Etinenne, I really feel for you. You're doing an awesome job though. Remember, one feed at a time.

Take a look at this:
    http://www.thewomens.org.au/Breastandnipplethrush
    it's a fact sheet on breast and nipple thrush from the Women's in Melbourne. I had nipple thrush, which turned into breast thrush (like an infection deep in the tissue). That fact sheet has some great tips on thrush treatment, which you could do at the same time as the ABs if you decide to take them. I had thursh but DD never got it, so I would be seeking a 2nd opinion from your doctor. Docs don't always know boobs and breastfeeding very well (although yours might, of course!)

Have you got a canestan pessary? Or one of the tablets (I think it's called Diflucan?) They're about $20 each from the pharmacy. I took 3 Diflucan tablets, over 6 days to help treat the thrush.

Definitely make the effort to see the other LC (even though i'm sure leaving the house seems like an awful idea right now). Hopefully she can help you out more than the last one you spoke with.

Have you considered going into one of the mother and baby units for a weekend stay or a week stay? I haven't looked where you are, but most major cities have them and they're really helpful. Some are even covered by Medicare if you don't have PHI.

Good luck with the feeds tonight. I hope the Daktarin gives you some relief.
    Your right about gps. Mine is very good and very pro breastfeeding but he appeared quite flustered with my situation. He was adamant he would find someone to come to the house though and help me. I've also had a wonderful offer of support from a mental health nurse who had trouble bf. and all you ladies have kept me going. I also spoke with my aunty tonight who suffered pnd, I know it's all stress but in the past i suffered PTSD, anxiety, depression, self harm you name it and I know I'm high risk.
    I thought about mothers and baby unit but I'm 500ks away frm nearest city.
    I think the daktarin is working a little. I have constant burning pain now but the actual feeding is bearable. Tonight we have fed dd with a syringe of expressed milk and then ten mins on boob then dummy then cuddles. She's very unsettled and has heaps of wind but she's doing great for the situation.

Oh and I thought the diflucan needed a script? I might go back to pharmacist.

Thanks again for all the support everyone x

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Etienne For This Useful Post:

MilkiCuddles  (06-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just updating. I had been treating my nipples with the daktarin and also took the diflucan tab yesterday. Had been expressing and syringe feeding every second or third feed but woke up 3am with a temp. Had health nurse come over and she said I have mastitis, which I was expecting with the pumping and my right breast was never getting drained. So i'm on the antibiotics, stopped thrush treatment and just seeing how I go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You poor thing! Hurdle after hurdle! You just need to stay strong and keep up the great work, you're doing fantastic and are such an inspiration!

I hope the mastitis clears up fast for you xx

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sjay For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (08-12-2011)