+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    oh you poor thing.

The middle of the night feeds can be the toughest cos you are so tired you just want them done. For me, it was these feeds when i got any damage until i started to really watch attachment to prevent any more. Soon bub will be big enough to do all the attachment stuff herself, but in the early days they get tired and forget too.

do you have anyone in real life that can have a look for you? A good mchn or gp?

Give the ABA a call, they might be able to work out what is happening, and give you some ideas and support. They are open 24 hours 1800 686 2 686.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (04-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks bubbles. I am going to call aba today. I haven't yet because I can't talk about it without bawling

I have been taking her off to re attach ten times if I have to but that gets tiring too. She just won't open her mouth. In hospital the midwives said her attachment was good but then I started using sheilds and she started chomping. Now she opens her mouth then tries to slurp my nipple in.
    I feel lost. The middie who visits seems quite anti bf as she suggested formula. We had one LC here who I contacted by phone and she wasn't helpful either. Not one person in my family/friends bf either.

I just keep thinking one feed at a time...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just keep going, you can do this.

Also - and please people dont crucify me - maybe just let your DP do 1 formula feed so you can have a good rest get your senses about you and then have another go, maybe a 1 feed break is all you need?

Good luck, I hope the ABA can help you out some more

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sjay For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (04-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sjay View Post
    Just keep going, you can do this.

Also - and please people dont crucify me - maybe just let your DP do 1 formula feed so you can have a good rest get your senses about you and then have another go, maybe a 1 feed break is all you need?

Good luck, I hope the ABA can help you out some more
    Thanks Sjay. I would express for dp to feed her but I don't want to introduce a bottle because most of these problems stem from confusion between the sheilds and nipple and then a dummy for a little while. I think a bottle would be the icing on the cake in terms of screwing things up. But if it gets any worse I will look at giving her a bottle.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Etienne For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (04-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can also finger feed or spoon feed both are alternatives to introducing a bottle finger feeding has been used to help little bunnies to suck but I'm not sure how well it works as I've never tried it personally

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mummykitty For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (04-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hugs you poor thing. I know exactly how you feel! The first month of feeding my ds was so excruciating (nipple fissures etc) I would smack myself in the head and stomp my feet during feeds to try and distract myself from the pain. Just awful. I concentrated on attachment, hung in there and for us it magically improved and became the easiest thing in the world and I am still feeding him at 2 as well as his 4 month old sister

I hope you can keep taking each day as it comes and that one day soon the pain will be gone and you can enjoy feeding your LO

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bambibambino For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (04-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    you can get through this, you have done an amazing job so far.

I found the magnesium definitely too a week or two to kick in.

There is oral thrush cream you can apply to your nipple (can't remember if it is before or after) but it should get a little into Bub's mouth too if you suspect she has it. You can but it over the counter (daktozin I think it is).

I'm sure you've tried this but when I was having trouble attaching I used to take bubs off and let them do the crawl to the boob. So you put their chin on your breast and let them find the nipple. I found it tricky at first but for the night feeds it seemed to work better than putting them straight on. I often felt the pain worse at night too as i think I was so relaxed from being asleep that it was a bit of a shock to the system.

Use the lansinoh (purple tube) as well on your nipples as often as you remember as it may just help.

Have you tried the rite-aid gel discs to apply after a feed, it helps that burning sensation a bit too.

Hang in there, you have come so far. I had a horrendous 8 weeks with both my kids so I empathise with you.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (04-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambibambino View Post
    Hugs you poor thing. I know exactly how you feel! The first month of feeding my ds was so excruciating (nipple fissures etc) I would smack myself in the head and stomp my feet during feeds to try and distract myself from the pain. Just awful. I concentrated on attachment, hung in there and for us it magically improved and became the easiest thing in the world and I am still feeding him at 2 as well as his 4 month old sister

I hope you can keep taking each day as it comes and that one day soon the pain will be gone and you can enjoy feeding your LO
    I just read this to my dp as she looks mortified while I'm crying ripping and pinching at my face and skin to distract myself also. Thank you for sharing that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    you can get through this, you have done an amazing job so far.

I found the magnesium definitely too a week or two to kick in.

There is oral thrush cream you can apply to your nipple (can't remember if it is before or after) but it should get a little into Bub's mouth too if you suspect she has it. You can but it over the counter (daktozin I think it is).

I'm sure you've tried this but when I was having trouble attaching I used to take bubs off and let them do the crawl to the boob. So you put their chin on your breast and let them find the nipple. I found it tricky at first but for the night feeds it seemed to work better than putting them straight on. I often felt the pain worse at night too as i think I was so relaxed from being asleep that it was a bit of a shock to the system.

Use the lansinoh (purple tube) as well on your nipples as often as you remember as it may just help.

Have you tried the rite-aid gel discs to apply after a feed, it helps that burning sensation a bit too.

Hang in there, you have come so far. I had a horrendous 8 weeks with both my kids so I empathise with you.
    I was thinking of going to gp to check if it is thrush or just going to the chemist to get the gel.
    I spoke to the aba this morning who said it sounds like they are just very bruised as they are blue as well.

Would thrush treatment be ok if it's not thrush?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I would just try it all at this stage, you may just find one of them works and gives you some relief. At one stage I was applying more creams to my nipples than I think I have my whole entire body, I was doing Lansinoh all the time, daktozin whenever the instructions said, the gel discs and nipple shields - couldn't believe something that is supposed to be so natural and looks so easy could be such a freaking production.

The gel discs would definitely help ease the bruising as would the lansinoh.

Good luck, it might be pricey to buy it all but if you can I would. Hang in there

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (05-12-2011)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast