+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It is past 4 in morning, and my vision is blurry, but I just wanted to say that you are incredible! An inspiration! A champion! A mother warrior of the best kind! (And the list could go on)

I'm a big fan of you!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MuminMind For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (01-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Had two feeds without the sheilds today. They didn't hurt but my nipple did come out flat twice, she just won't open her mouth with the sheild she never really opened her mouth much just sucked it in so she's trying to do the same with nipple.
    We'll get there...soon I hope :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
    Had two feeds without the sheilds today. They didn't hurt but my nipple did come out flat twice, she just won't open her mouth with the sheild she never really opened her mouth much just sucked it in so she's trying to do the same with nipple.
    We'll get there...soon I hope :/
    hey there! I haven't replied since I replied to your emotional concerns about breastfeeding when you were pregnant

Just wanted to say that you are doing an amazing job. I have bad vasospasm too, even when not feeding, so feeding is so painful!

Like another poster said, take it day by day. I found that the longer I fed, the less my nipples would spasm or hurt when feeding. At the start it was horrible pain that I would grit my teeth through but a month or so later it was just the annoying stabbing pain.. still painful but not enough for me to want to quit then and there. Then by the end of feeding it was much easier. SO my biggest piece of advice would be to keep trying if you are determined because it does get easier!

Some things that helped me...

A heat pack or a heated flannel. If your baby latches on and your nipple starts to spams, they will just get frustrated and not get any milk, so I would unlatch them and even if they cry, don't feel flustered. Put the warm packs over your niplles and massage your breast downward and imagine the milk flowing nicely. Then look at your baby crying and instead of being stressed by it and feeling like your nipples aren't working, try to change how to view her crying for milk while you spasm... view it as your hungry baby and how cute it is, and imagine all the milk that is about to flow out of your nipples and feed her. For me this would really calm me down and I would have a let down and as DD2 latched when I was already letting down, and my breast was really warm from the heat pack, my spasm either would only half happen or almost not at all.

Feeding in private mostly and lying down, while under warm doonas and sheets so that I didn't feel cold while feeding (this was in Alice springs in spring, so not really cold, but I found if my body was really warm it was less of a problem).

Things that didn't help me with DD1 (who I found really hard to feed)

I got stressed that my blanching nipples meant she wasn't feeding enough or getting enough. That stress meant every feed ended up being more stressful and probably contributed more to my vasospasms.

I supplemented with formula and really struggled with DD1 on my nipple. I didn't once give a bottle to DD2 and it was a lot easier (all babies are different, but jsut something I found worked for me with DD2 - not giving any formula).

Both babies were better with dummies though, so I don't think it was about nipple confusion, more that DD1 was impatient with waiting for my nipple to stop blanching and have a let down. So I recommend a dummy, so that when you know your breast is empty, stick the dummy right in her mouth and assure yourself she is no longer hungry if she is the type of baby that likes to suck. Both of my girls loved to such hard on my nipple even when not wanting a feed, but because they were sucking hard I figured they were hungry. A dummy ended up helping that a lot!

With your nipple being flat, you need to make sure she is latching! And that she isn't clamping down to try and squeeze milk from your blanching nipple. I would latch both of my girls perfectly but they would start to pull off and sqeeze down to squeeze any milk drops from my blanching nipple. This would make the spasms worse. So in this case, I would do the warm flannel and "meditating" and massaging a let down myself before latching them on which is the only way to stop this in some cases. Just latching right doesn't help if they are trying to get milk any way they can after latching.

Oh another thing... it might be different for you, but I couldn't get any milk with a small electric pump either so bought a big pump which worked.. but I think they are much harder on your nipples and cause them to spasm more thna feeding a baby by yourself. At this point, I would just feed your baby and forget about pumping. Especially if she comes to reply on getting milk fast from a bottle even if it is expressed. When it becomes easier in a few months pumping should be more ok to do

Good luck! remember you CAN do this after all.. you fed through an epi headache

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyLittleTootsies For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (01-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Etienne. PPs have given you such great advice. I just wanted to say I think you are doing a great job - 120g over birth weight after 9 days is great! You can do this! Don't let anyone get you down! I think most people feel frustrated at some stage with BFing, I know I do sometimes and I have been quite lucky in most respects. So, I have every confidence that things will get better for you.

Good luck!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (02-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here are some tips on pumping & expressing (i love this blog)
    http://www.koraorganics.com/blog/liv...ing-your-milk/

Bub may be sucking for reasons other than hunger- maybe she has gas, or just wants to be close. If you are happy to let her suck, go for it but if it is getting to you, it's ok to try other things.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (02-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, there is some wonderful advice here!

I know everyone has already said it, but well done! You are doing a fantastic job and are such an inspiration

Keep up the good work and enjoy your gorgeous newborn cuddles! They grow up too fast and soon all of these hard times will be a distant memory!

We are all here if you need us

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkiCuddles For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (02-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
    Had two feeds without the sheilds today. They didn't hurt but my nipple did come out flat twice, she just won't open her mouth
    Omg I remember the flat nipples! Ouch DS did learn to open up properly fairly quick though.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to captainscaptain For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (02-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Update, fed most of yesterday without the sheilds. Nipples tender but ok. Had another terrible night though where she just wouldn't open her mouth and kept trying to suck my nipple in. It was hard, I fed with the sheild then had to hold her all night. I don't mind having to comfort her for that long but I'm scared I'll fall asleep standing up!

Thanks again

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Etienne For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (03-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just take every day as it comes.

And remember that every win, no matter how big or small, is still a win! Nearly a whole day without the sheilds, well done!!

You're doing such a great job

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkiCuddles For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (03-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fed without the sheilds yesterday and all was going well until last night 3am feed was agony. Vasospasm has been under control and this felt different. I'm thinking maybe thrush? I have no other symptoms though. Nipple was burning and felt like DD had razor blades in her mouth.
    I'm so determined to keep going but I'm so close to losing the plot. I haven't ever felt pain like this. Breastfeeding has been more painful than my 3rd degree tear