+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks again everyone. I've read back on this a few times today and it helped. Have had some good feeds today and midwife came over to weigh bubs and she's now 120g over her birth weight (9 days old) so that's reassured me that she's getting food!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is now one month old, and up until 2 weeks ago I was using shields lying down. Then I got mastitis and was hospitalised for 2 days

I was made to go to the breastfeeding clinic and had a wonderful session with a LC. She was so much better than the midwives at the hospy! She helped me understand how to feed MY baby, not just go through the positions.

We have not used shields since that day, nor had to lie down to feed. I was told that the shields may have contributed to the mastitis, as the breast may not drain as well or as often. The first symptoms I got were flu like achey feelings, not red marks or sore breasts.

I never found I had a supply issue with the shields, though only 2 weeks in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I came on to this topic to seek encouragement with my bfing struggles but after reading yours and the other ladies i feel i shouldnt complain!

It sounds like you are really committed and doing a great job-well done!

DD August 10
    DS October 11

4. The Following User Says Thank You to crunchie For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (29-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have any advice the PP haven't already said but I just wanted to extend my support to you. You are doing an amazing job and should be proud

6. The Following User Says Thank You to simitude For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (29-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last night was terrible its like I have no milk between 2am and 5am she feeds the whole 3 hours and gets nothing I can feel my boobs are empty at that time too.
    I guess I'll try express today for that time?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
    Last night was terrible its like I have no milk between 2am and 5am she feeds the whole 3 hours and gets nothing I can feel my boobs are empty at that time too.
    I guess I'll try express today for that time?
    Is she doing strong sucking and swallowing? If not she is probably comfort sucking. Wi she take a dummy? I used to let DS comfort suk until he was asleep then I would give him tr dummy and he would eventually spit it out but at
    Least my nipples got a break.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by simitude View Post
    Is she doing strong sucking and swallowing? If not she is probably comfort sucking. Wi she take a dummy? I used to let DS comfort suk until he was asleep then I would give him tr dummy and he would eventually spit it out but at
    Least my nipples got a break.
    She is sucking for dear life and gets quite frustrated when nothings happening she'll start moving her mouth around like crazy and I'll have to take her off and try again over and over until she gives up and just comfort sucks.
    I gave her a dummy the other night for an hour and she loved it but because I've been using the nipple sheilds which feel the same as a dummy she just would not attach to the nipple sheild after that and was screaming when she realised I was trying to feed her with the sheild! As soon as I get rid of the sheilds I will use the dummy because she does like to suck.

I done half a feed this morning without the sheild and it was painfree. Which is a positive.
    I might call the aba today about the night time thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Half an hour is great!! Have you got the weleda nursing tea? Maybe have a cup if that before you go to bed. Or have a glass of water everytime she feeds. During the night too. You will have to pee a lot lol but when I slack on my water intake I notice a definite drop in my supply.

Call the ABA, I'm sure they will have more ideas than me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by simitude View Post
    Half an hour is great!! Have you got the weleda nursing tea? Maybe have a cup if that before you go to bed. Or have a glass of water everytime she feeds. During the night too. You will have to pee a lot lol but when I slack on my water intake I notice a definite drop in my supply.

Call the ABA, I'm sure they will have more ideas than me
    Thanks simitude I will make sure I keep up the water. I will look at getting that tea.
    The vasospasms have calmed down so much from taking magnesium. Thanks to some wonderful posters for that advice xx

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Etienne For This Useful Post:

simitude  (30-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by flaneur View Post
    I just wanted to wish you good luck for tonight's feeds. Hope the dummy helps with her wanting to comfort suck overnight.

I remember night time can be the loneliest/hardest time, so know that support is still here, no matter the hour!
    Thanks flaneur. It's 330am now and this is the feed where I've had no milk. Today I did 3 feeds without sheild and she seems to be having a good feed tonight finally. Nipples are sore but getting through it.