+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Private room for public patient, Mater or Redlands

We're moving to Brisbane early next year (will be around 25wks) and was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to deliver at either Mater Mothers in Brisbane or Redlands hospital as a public patient and use my private health insurance for a private room after the baby is born?

I'm not sure if I'll be able to find a new ob when I get there and the thought of not having to pay a planning and management fee is becoming more and more appealing. Although I would like to use my private health insurance for something!

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You get your own room at Redlands anyway

She~Ra is offline Princess Of Power ... (formerly Mumtofive)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The redlands hospital have single bedrooms with twin share bathrooms, so unless they are full, you will always get a room to yourself.

I have delivered 6 babies at the redlands, and have never had to share a room, i was very lucky with my 6mth old, i got the last single bedroom, which had its own bathroom that i got to myself, anyone who birthed after me had to share a room, they were moving the old people out of their ward and putting mothers in their place..

But i didnt get to spend my usual 2 nights i had to get out the next day as they really needed the beds lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You get your own room at Redlands public. At Redlands Mater you have to see the consulting obs.

However apparently Redlands is closing the midwives clinic and everyone has to so shared care ;/