+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default weighted blankets for summertime?

My 5yr old DD has ASD and loves to sleep with a heavy blanket on. Which is fine until summer comes along. She cannot sleep without a heavy blanket on. Also to make matters worse she is scared of the ceiling fan and refuses to have it on. She is also anxious about the noise of the crikets chirping outside so windows have to be shut too! Her bedroom gets so hot, and she is awake for half the night.

I have heard of some weighted blankets that you can chill in the freezer??? Anyone ever used one? Or have any other suggestions for me so that we can all get some sleep again?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can you afford to have a split system aircon installed. Would solve the problem and the blanket can stay on and cricket noise shut out?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

Zombie_eyes  (03-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What about a cotton quilt? DS has a heavy cotton quilt made for summer. He doesn't seem to sweat under it. I put him in bed with just a nappy on and the quilt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to crash this section but is this it?
    http://www.sensawear.com/Climagel-Weighted-Blanket.html

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our 10 year old uses a weighted blanket too - but fortunately she doesn't mind the window open or the fan on.

On sunny days I leave her bedroom curtains closed all day to try and keep her room cooler - could you do this and have the fan on up until she goes to bed. I have also used ice packs wrapped in a tea towel to cool her feet and a cold (or frozen) face washer on her forehead.

I use a fan on a stand in her bedroom, it is fairly quiet - makes a constant hum. Would something like this work, maybe you could try having it on the main living areas in the house so she gets used to it, then move it to outside her bedroom door for a few nights before putting it in her room, leave it turned off until she falls asleep and then turn it on.

Goodluck!