+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you believe the vaccines work then whats the problem?
    Because no vaccine is 100% effective.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Liney unfortunately the german 'study' you refer to was nothing other than an online survey... so not really credible.

Who votes samsausage and missie mack get a motel room together to debate this? Luv ya both...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There's one thing that I don't understand about someone's reasoning for not vaccinating, which is that to me there seems to be a logic gap by thinking that a statistically unproven link between MMR and autism (for example, as it is being discussed above), outweighs a risk of a child catching measles, mumps, or rubella.

For example, peelnseal, you say that you believe parents who say that their children contracted autism from the jab. Do you believe that the numbers of parents who believe their children contracted autism from the MMR exceed the numbers of children contracting measles, mumps, and rubella each year?

I don't believe there is a link between the MMR and autism (and this is something I have studied as part of my degree, and also through working with autistic children for a time). However, IF I believed that in some cases there was a link, but that those cases were so rare as to not be able to be measured over a large scale study, then I would still vaccinate as the risk of catching measles, etc. was greater than the chance (if I believed in one) of autism.

Is it because people don't see it that way? Or that people think autism is more 'serious' than measles, mumps, or rubella?

I'm not trying to upset anyone. I just don't follow the logic, that's all.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I definitely see autism as WAY more serious than a disease, it affects you for your whole life usually, most diseases are of limited duration and severity unlike autism.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The German study pp's have referred to is the KiGGS study - found here;http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3057555/

Directly quoted from the study:

Conclusion
    The prevalence of allergic diseases and non-specific infections in children and adolescents was not found to depend on vaccination status.
    Hardly the smoking gun the anti-vax movement is claiming. Its a perfect example of how data can be cherry picked and manipulated to serve an agenda.
    Last edited by samsausage; 26-11-2011 at 14:59.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samsausage For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (07-06-2012),Ulysses  (26-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Who votes samsausage and missie mack get a motel room together to debate this? Luv ya both...
    Hell yeah, come on missie, the caprioskas are on me girl

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    There's one thing that I don't understand about someone's reasoning for not vaccinating, which is that to me there seems to be a logic gap by thinking that a statistically unproven link between MMR and autism (for example, as it is being discussed above), outweighs a risk of a child catching measles, mumps, or rubella.

For example, peelnseal, you say that you believe parents who say that their children contracted autism from the jab. Do you believe that the numbers of parents who believe their children contracted autism from the MMR exceed the numbers of children contracting measles, mumps, and rubella each year?

I don't believe there is a link between the MMR and autism (and this is something I have studied as part of my degree, and also through working with autistic children for a time). However, IF I believed that in some cases there was a link, but that those cases were so rare as to not be able to be measured over a large scale study, then I would still vaccinate as the risk of catching measles, etc. was greater than the chance (if I believed in one) of autism.

Is it because people don't see it that way? Or that people think autism is more 'serious' than measles, mumps, or rubella?

I'm not trying to upset anyone. I just don't follow the logic, that's all.

Yes i think the risk of Autism far outweighs the risk of catching measles, mumps or rubella.
    YES, for me, i think Autism would impact on a toddler/childs childhood, their education, their emotional wellbeing, their adult life and their entire family in far greater ways than measles, mumps or rubella.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AM View Post
    I definitely see autism as WAY more serious than a disease, it affects you for your whole life usually, most diseases are of limited duration and severity unlike autism.
    Maybe that's the difference. I see both as very very serious, but measles (for example) can kill children - so I tend to view it as a very high priority to avoid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peelnseal View Post
    Yes i think the risk of Autism far outweighs the risk of catching measles, mumps or rubella.
    YES, for me, i think Autism would impact on a toddler/childs childhood, their education, their emotional wellbeing, their adult life and their entire family in far greater ways than measles, mumps or rubella.
    When you say the risk of autism outweighs the risk of catching the other diseases - do you mean that you think the effects of autism are worse, or that you believe that the odds of getting autism from a vaccine are higher than the odds of getting one of the diseases we're talking about?

As I said above, I look at measles (and other diseases) as something that can kill a child, so maybe that's why we view it differently.

Thanks
    Reviews
    OT but what the hey

Bizarre as it sounds I'd be thrilled if the definitive cause/trigger of ASD was vaccines. Why - because it would firstly mean an answer for those thousands of parents so depserately wanting to know why this has happened to their child. Secondly, if vaccines truly were the culprit - easy, no vaccines means an end to ASD, sadly thats not the case.