+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennybaby View Post
    Just read this and thought i would share my view...sorry it is not directly related to vax...which I support wholeheartedly btw. Anyway, I think that the problem with finding a cause of autism is a bit misguided...obviously blaming it on vaccines and the environment seems to be. I have been doing lots of research because of my son and have come to the conclusion that these people are just wired differently...and when I think about how amazingly gifted and intelligent my son is, I can't help but wonder where the world would be if it were not for these great brains labelled as 'autistic'. Albert Einstein for example is believed to have been autistic. I understand not all children on the autistic spectrum present as gifted, this is just my personal experience with my child. But as a parent I really don't think there is anything wrong with my child, I think there is something wrong with a society that just doesn't understand him. I am not looking to blame anyone or anything for who he is and I can't wait to see why he contributes to the world.
    Yes so true. my mum works with autistic littlies in early intervention and they are the absolute light of her life.. there are also autistic children from various "environments" the city, the country, loving homes and bad homes, some who exist purely on organic fresh food and others on convenience food.. kids from Australia, China, Africa.. some vaccinated and others not. And autism is not new. It is just identified so much more regularly now.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I don't know why I have to do this - probably because reading comprehension is a bit low on that other page. "
    What other page? Surely not BH?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I promised not to get involved and let the pro vaccination club have a moment to themselves.... But tbh I cant believe anyone thinks that herd immunity even is a factor with things like tetanus. Next thing someone will be talking about all the rusty things around a house Lol. Seems a bit silly to be criticising anothers research outcome when you throw something like tetanus into the herd immunity debate imo
    Really shakes the credibility of the arguement.

And before you all start I also think the AVN bloke is a nutjob and disagree with what he said, well what I read anyway before growing bored.

In a galaxy far far away....
    The pp didn't mention heard immunization directly about tetanus. She used it as a generalization about outcomes of preventable diseases.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alimia For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (08-06-2012),Ulysses  (08-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    What other page? Surely not BH?
    She's talking about Stop the AVN:

http://www.facebook.com/stopavn

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HazTechDad For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (08-06-2012),Ulysses  (08-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I generally do believe in herd immunity. To me it's simple - when you have a high number of vaxxed people they either don't get the illness or a soft version and are less likely to pass it on. Yes I do believe herd immunity often protects the unvaxxed population and I'm fine with that.

As to tetanus - I had a booster about 5 years ago after a tick and the nurse told me tetanus is hardly ever seen anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alimia View Post
    The pp didn't mention heard immunization directly about tetanus. She used it as a generalization about outcomes of preventable diseases.
    Thankyou. If you re read my posts, my examples of eradication of disease due to herd immunity were, I think, diphtheria and pertussis.
    I used tetanus as an example of how a devastating disease can be prevented by a vaccine.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (08-06-2012),Ulysses  (08-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I generally do believe in herd immunity. To me it's simple - when you have a high number of vaxxed people they either don't get the illness or a soft version and are less likely to pass it on. Yes I do believe herd immunity often protects the unvaxxed population and I'm fine with that.

As to tetanus - I had a booster about 5 years ago after a tick and the nurse told me tetanus is hardly ever seen anymore.
    Yes it's rare, thank goodness- awful disease! About 12 years ago I worked in a pharmacy and a customer, older man, contracted it and nearly died before they realized what it was. He was never the same, he described the agony he'd experienced, spasms etc, and went from a fit, stocky 60 year old to someone who was thin, weak and sickly. It aged him a good 20 years, and he actually died a few years later, his son told me it was like his immune system copped such a beating, it was just never the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, and I wonder why tetanus is so rare. Oh yes, vaccination.
    I read that diphtheria (a truly terrible disease) used to account for more deaths than any other infectious disease. Now it is very rarely seen.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

delirium  (08-06-2012),Ulysses  (08-06-2012)

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Tetanus is rare because it isn't a communicable disease!

It is something that you would be getting if certain factors were all combined for the infection to take hold - like was digging in your garden that was fertilized by horse manure that had the infection.

So I personally wouldn't tick that off as a Win due to vaxx - I would say more so that people would be more diligent in washing after getting a cut etc.

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BabushkaMumma View Post
    Tetanus is rare because it isn't a communicable disease!

It is something that you would be getting if certain factors were all combined for the infection to take hold - like was digging in your garden that was fertilized by horse manure that had the infection.

So I personally wouldn't tick that off as a Win due to vaxx - I would say more so that people would be more diligent in washing after getting a cut etc.
    According to the westmead childrens hospital, before vaccination tetanus used to be one of the killer diseases of childhood, they also claim it is everywhere in the environment.
    Tetanus (lockjaw) is caused by toxins produced by some germs from the soil that has contaminated cuts and wounds, especially wounds containing foreign objects (like wood splinters) or wounds following burns, animal bites, trauma or fractures. Superficial injuries such as a scratch or a prick from a thorn contaminated by soil, dust or manure can also lead to tetanus. Tetanus may cause widespread muscle stiffness, muscle spasms and difficulties in breathing. Various complications and even death may occur. Unfortunately, the tetanus germ is everywhere, so anyone who is not adequately immunised has the chance of catching tetanus. It is even possible to get tetanus twice, as the immunity resulting from the infection does not provide long-term protection.
    source;http://kidshealth.schn.health.nsw.go...s/immunisation