+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 168
  1. #91
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HazTechDad View Post
    Well fortunately 95-odd% of people don't share your opinion. If they did, they would only share it long enough to see the infant mortality rate go through the roof. Once that 80% had seen a few thousand children killed by whooping cough etc, it wouldn't take long to get the vaccination rates back up.

    Looking at whooping cough as just one example, with a near-100% infection rate in an unvaccinated population, and a 1:200 mortality rate in infants, we would probably expect about 1500 babies to die each year in Australia if that vaccine alone was abolished. I wonder how "deliriously happy" you'd be then.



    What absolute rot.





    Doctor Viera Scheibner?

    You mean retired geologist Viera Scheibner, with absolutely no medical qualifications whatsoever?

    You prefer to take your medical advice from someone whose only qualifications are in fossil research, than someone who actually has some medical knowledge?

    What he said. Precisely.

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Kimberley WA
    Posts
    4,622
    Thanks
    916
    Thanked
    1,180
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HazTechDad View Post
    Well fortunately 95-odd% of people don't share your opinion. If they did, they would only share it long enough to see the infant mortality rate go through the roof. Once that 80% had seen a few thousand children killed by whooping cough etc, it wouldn't take long to get the vaccination rates back up.

    Looking at whooping cough as just one example, with a near-100% infection rate in an unvaccinated population, and a 1:200 mortality rate in infants, we would probably expect about 1500 babies to die each year in Australia if that vaccine alone was abolished. I wonder how "deliriously happy" you'd be then.



    What absolute rot.





    Doctor Viera Scheibner?

    You mean retired geologist Viera Scheibner, with absolutely no medical qualifications whatsoever?

    You prefer to take your medical advice from someone whose only qualifications are in fossil research, than someone who actually has some medical knowledge?
    Good on you. Well said!
    I personally just can't get my head around those that choose not to vaccinate or should I say don't believe there are benefits.

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    12,994
    Thanks
    1,125
    Thanked
    1,962
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Good on you. Well said!
    I personally just can't get my head around those that choose not to vaccinate or should I say don't believe there are benefits.
    What's to get your head around? Some people choose not to vaccinate because there is credible evidence (not AVN or opinion blogs) that support their choice.

    I delay vaxx. I see an absolute benefit in vaccinating but I also believe the schedule bombards immune systems far too early.

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post
    What's to get your head around? Some people choose not to vaccinate because there is credible evidence (not AVN or opinion blogs) that support their choice.

    I delay vaxx. I see an absolute benefit in vaccinating but I also believe the schedule bombards immune systems far too early.
    There is a lot more credible evidence to support vaccinating. I think this is what Kimberlygal was getting at. To each their own of course, but I won't pretend I understand the anti-vax stance, so I guess I can't "get my head around" it either.

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

    Blessedwith3boys  (07-06-2012),Guest654  (07-06-2012),Ulysses  (07-06-2012)

  6. #95
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    12,994
    Thanks
    1,125
    Thanked
    1,962
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    There is a lot more credible evidence to support vaccinating. I think this is what Kimberlygal was getting at. To each their own of course, but I won't pretend I understand the anti-vax stance, so I guess I can't "get my head around" it either.
    I guess it all depends on what you credible. And when you look at the bias of some studies it's hard to really take their findings seriously. That goes for either side really. Almost every reason for vaccinating can be argued the other way and vice versa.

    The only thing to "get" about being anti or delay vaccinating is that those mothers have chosen what they believe is best for their family and works for them. And if you truly believe that the vaccines you have administered to your child are 100% effective (or close to) then there's nothing to worry about.

  7. #96
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    To me, if you vax or not is not the issue, I don't really understand why you wouldn't either - unless there were medical issues - but that is irrelevant - it is the information out there that some people choose to base these massive decisions. I remember a poster on here once saying that she "didn't want her baby to catch autism from vaccines"

    AVN seem to me to be very similar to a cult, and Meryl Dorey is the David Koresh. The whole thing seems very strange to me.

    Much like Capricorn's webpage - some freaky deaky stuff on there.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (07-06-2012)

  9. #97
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post
    I guess it all depends on what you credible. And when you look at the bias of some studies it's hard to really take their findings seriously. That goes for either side really. Almost every reason for vaccinating can be argued the other way and vice versa.

    The only thing to "get" about being anti or delay vaccinating is that those mothers have chosen what they believe is best for their family and works for them. And if you truly believe that the vaccines you have administered to your child are 100% effective (or close to) then there's nothing to worry about.
    You know as well as we all do that nothing in life is 100% - and that includes vaccines.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (07-06-2012),Ulysses  (07-06-2012)

  11. #98
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    12,994
    Thanks
    1,125
    Thanked
    1,962
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    To me, if you vax or not is not the issue, I don't really understand why you wouldn't either - unless there were medical issues - but that is irrelevant - it is the information out there that some people choose to base these massive decisions. I remember a poster on here once saying that she "didn't want her baby to catch autism from vaccines"

    AVN seem to me to be very similar to a cult, and Meryl Dorey is the David Koresh. The whole thing seems very strange to me.

    Much like Capricorn's webpage - some freaky deaky stuff on there.
    What's scary is that some parents do no reading at all before deciding to vaccinate, except maybe a panadol pamphlet. That concerns me. Vaccinating is a huge decision.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

    Ffrenchknickers  (08-06-2012)

  13. #99
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    547
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    268
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AM View Post
    I definitely see autism as WAY more serious than a disease, it affects you for your whole life usually, most diseases are of limited duration and severity unlike autism.
    Guess it really depends on the disease doesn't it ... Wouldn't like my child to have to live with the lifetime consequence of meningococcal, measles, chicken pox, polio. The severe reactions to the diseases may be in the minority but so are the reactions to vacc'd.

    Imagine if your child contracted rubella while pregnant and ended up with deaf baby? - that would be fairly life changing right. (I mean no offence to deaf people!)

    I used to work with a man who had polio as a child during 60s ... Due to the physical limitations caused by the disease he never married, had children and it severely effected his career options.

    No offence intended

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Smartiecat For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (07-06-2012)

  15. #100
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post
    I guess it all depends on what you credible. And when you look at the bias of some studies it's hard to really take their findings seriously. That goes for either side really. Almost every reason for vaccinating can be argued the other way and vice versa.

    The only thing to "get" about being anti or delay vaccinating is that those mothers have chosen what they believe is best for their family and works for them. And if you truly believe that the vaccines you have administered to your child are 100% effective (or close to) then there's nothing to worry about.
    I have no doubt many who choose not to vax do so in the belief they are doing the right thing. I don't believe vaccines are 100% effective, we KNOW they aren't, but they are as close as we can get. However, the risk from vax preventible illness is not a major concern for me for our older kids....it's for the one that's due in September and will have a period of zero to low immunity before they can be fully immunised and offered the same protection that my older kids have. This concern also extends to elderly and immune-compromised people in our community who are placed at substantial risk if these illnesses become prevalent.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

    Ulysses  (07-06-2012)


 

Similar Threads

  1. The Vaccine Debate
    By Sarelou in forum Immunisation & Vaccines
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 31-08-2012, 19:39
  2. The name debate
    By MummaWhite in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 17-01-2012, 17:52
  3. Solve this debate for me!
    By Littlemissmetal in forum General Chat
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 08-12-2011, 10:19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Tambo Teddies
Visit our online store and select your individually handmade natural sheepskin teddy bear. Our soft and loveable bears come in a range of styles and colours. Created in Outback Queensland each bear is unique individual. 100% Australian made!
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
Baby Sensory
Baby Sensory is the only baby programme that offers a complete approach to learning & development. Our classes offer an exciting world full of fun sensory experiences for parents and babies to enjoy.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!