+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Vaccine Debate Thread

Well, I've been told in a few threads that people don't want a debate and I should p1ss off and start my own thread. Ok, lets see how this goes then

Please no blogs, AVN/opinion pieces to support the anti vax side - credible sources only please.

Firstly, the autism debate. Well, as far as I can tell, there is no debate. Most people are familiar with Andrew Wakefields study (now discredited and Wakefield was struck off the medical register). However anec-data still proliferates and there is still a widespread belief that there is a connection.
    Whilst many are familiar with Wakefields work, less are familiar with this study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1124634/ It received a lot less press and makes no sensationalist claims but it has real data that unequivocally refutes a vaccine-autism link. How? By analysing the vaccine status of 537303 children. That's right, over half a million children over a 7 year period. What specifically did they find?

The authors found that “There was no increase in the risk of autistic disorder or other autistic-spectrum disorders among vaccinated children as compared with unvaccinated children (adjusted relative risk of autistic disorder, 0.92; 95% confidence interval, 0.68 to 1.24; adjusted relative risk of other autistic-spectrum disorders, 0.83; 95% confidence interval, 0.65 to 1.07).”

It's not opinion, it's not propaganda it's just data. Data which clearly shows there is no link.

I'll post more info as I retrieve it (I haven't looked at a lot of my sources for some time).

Why do this? Honestly because I fear the resurgence of VPD's of vaccination rates decline. I work in public health and in all honesty what I've seen already scares the bejebus out of me.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to samsausage For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (07-06-2012),HazTechDad  (28-11-2011),Ulysses  (26-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I also agree the evidence for vaxxing is irrefutable, including regarding the autism/MMR link.

But I will say currently 90% of the pop vaxx their kids. Most non vaxxing parents do a lot of reading they just read the evidence differently and love their kids.

I guess what I'm getting at is there's nothing wrong with starting this thread, but expect it may not turn out well. I think non vaxxing parents get tired of having to explain their actions,actions they believe are in the best interests of their child...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks for this thread. I am very much pro-vaccination, and it's interesting to see the above data.

I'll be amazed if this thread stays nice, though! Hope it does, but these discussions always seem to get heated - understandably really. I think the title of your thread may be a little misleading, as I think you are disseminating information more than inviting debate. (Which is great - just not what the title of the thread indicates).

Anyway, always interested to read the info. I live in an area where vaccination rates are a little lower than the average, and the resurgence of VPD's is a concern for me too.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

MrJones&Me  (25-11-2011)

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for posting that information. However, most non-vaxxers (like myself) do not even factor the MMR / Autism argument into their decision making.

Some other reasons include frequency, ingredient listing and relevancy.

Hopefully your additional posts will cover more aspects that the first.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BabushkaMumma For This Useful Post:

Berrie  (26-11-2011),missie_mackxxxx  (25-11-2011),northern  (07-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My dd isn't vaccinated... But it didn't have anything to do with autism or even online reading more reading from medical journals and talking to informed qualified gps for us I think it is the right choice though I can see how for others it isn't. It's very much an each to their own thing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all for replying. I really hope it does stay civil. Lots of parents seem to be looking for information re vaccines and what I'm trying to do it provide a counterpoint to what I see as a lot of sensationalist anti-vax info.

If what I post is inaccurate, if the data is flawed, if there are other confounding factors, I am very genuinely happy to be told. I just ask that it is solid data and not pseudo-science from a blog.

BabushkaMumma, thanks for replying. I'm digging through info as we speak - which specific ingredients are you concerned about?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to samsausage For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (25-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Links Missie_Mack...links, I'm busy with my own atm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok - This link:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/516045_5

Talks about some of the ingredients in vaccines - it starts with formaldehyde, if you want to view others you need to join medscape - easy and free to do.

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by samsausage View Post
    Thanks all for replying. I really hope it does stay civil. Lots of parents seem to be looking for information re vaccines and what I'm trying to do it provide a counterpoint to what I see as a lot of sensationalist anti-vax info.

If what I post is inaccurate, if the data is flawed, if there are other confounding factors, I am very genuinely happy to be told. I just ask that it is solid data and not pseudo-science from a blog.

BabushkaMumma, thanks for replying. I'm digging through info as we speak - which specific ingredients are you concerned about?
    Well, really the greater part of all the fillers and the like. When I did my research into each vax, I go to the manufacturers website, print their ingredient listing and then check each ingredient for usage, side effects, etc.

Combine that with the frequency, I wasn't comfortable with immunizing to schedule.

Now my DD is older, I'm looking into each vax, each disease and bonafide stats to make the decision.

So, true and accurate stats are always welcome in my opinion - would like to see what else you provide as to disease rates, vaxx rates etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2697173/ discussed varicella epidemiology across Europe and the varied response of different European nations via their vaccination schedules.

Whilst Brisson et al put forward a rather dire picture of the future regarding the incidence of herpes zoster, their findings were based on mathematical modelling which as yet has not been borne out with post vaccine data. Interesting one to look into.