+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Does anyone know any Ob's with low intervention rates?

Hi all

I am expecting to be an expectant mother (i.e. not pregnant yet, but trying!)

I joined private health cover 3 months ago so that I could be covered for private hospital. I've being doing research though and found that to go private you HAVE to have an ob. Is that right? I only want to go private so that you have the private room, husband can stay with you etc, and just sounds a little bit more calm. However it sounds like the ob may not necessarily be at the birth, and both ob's and private hospitals have high intervention rates...

I really DON'T want a Ceasar unless I REALLY need one, and I don't want any intervention unless absolutely necessary. Just been reading a lot and intervention doesn't sound good! I have a high level of pain threshold (although never had a baby!) so don't want to be taking pain killers etc too much. Very much wanting as natural a birth as possible.

Can people please give some advice? Either on a private ob that has low intervention and allows you to do what you want rather than forcing something on you, or do people think that I should consider going public hospital. Atm I was leaning towards Mercy, but concerned on intervention...

Thanks ladies!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've chosen my ob and hosp based on low intervention rates, but I'm in brisbane, so not really helpful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I went private (I'm in north-west Sydney though) and had a great OB. I'm not sure of his official statistics but he likes birth to be as natural as possible. He believes it's much better for everyone. So not all OBs are evil scalpel-happy doctors like some would have you believe!

My advice is to just sus out some OBs in your area once you're pregnant and choose one who suits what you want for the birth.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

NaturalBirth  (30-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    ES2010 - do you mind me asking where you're going and your ob? I'm new to Brisbane and trying desperately to find any info. I want minimal intervention.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you are looking at the Mercy in Melbourne, why not look at the Mercy Family Birth Centre?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (10-02-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You can always birth in a low risk of intervention setting and transfer after the birth I know a few women who have done it, you would need an ob to admit you though.

Sent from my iPad using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Try Peter Lucas. He attends homebirths, so i think he could speak with you honestly about intervention rates in melbourne.

Also what about hiring a private midwife? That is the gold standard for care. If you are sure that hospital is where you want to be, a midwife can do your ante-natal care in your home, support you to labour at home (best way to avoid intervention in hospital) and go with you and stay with you when you move to hospital.

Belinda Henkel is one midwife who springs to mind. She had decades of experience at the Mercy family birth centre before starting in private practice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Melty, there's a doula in Brisbane who might be able to give you a good steer - her name is Liz Leys. HTH.

One more thing, in terms of intervention rates, it's not so much the obstetrician to look at rather than the hospital itself. Try the MyBirth website - it has stats on every hospital, and on some practitioners as well (obstetricians and midwives).

Also if you want a realists' view of birth intervention in Australia, see the most recent report we have, from 2009, called Australia's Mothers and Babies.

It said:

75% of women in hospitals had analgesia
    68.5% had a vaginal birth (including instrumental, and with episiotomies)
    31.5% had caesareans
    56.1% started labour spontaneously without being medically induced

It also said that 99.5% of women who had a homebirth had a non-instrumental vaginal birth. 25% of these 900 women were first time mothers.

If you choose to give birth in a hospital with a 30% caesarean rate, a 50% induction rate then you need to really ask yourself what you want and what you need to do to make sure you're in the percentage of women who have some kind of normal birth in hospitals (regardless of who their obstetrician was).

Ring the hospital and ask, "Tell me honestly - what percentage of First Time Mothers have normal births without intervention at your hospital?"
    Last edited by fai firinne; 10-02-2012 at 08:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would not go private unless you have good advice on an oB who truly is pro-vb. A lot say they are but then will recommend induction (which often leads to an instrumental delivery or c/s), or a c/s straight out closer to the date.

If homebirth is not an option, I'd go through the birth centre.

Good on you for doing your research!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am in melb and my ob is very pro vb, especially for first time mothers. Doesn't like inducing, and wouldn't even talk to me about it until close to 42w, which I am happy to say I didn't reach. A c/s was never even mentioned once.