+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Refusal to provide access 'supported' by the Family Court

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226205348609

I have to say I agree with this opinion. Disgusting.

Seems all you have to do is say that you'll mess with the child's relationship with yourself and YOU get granted sole custody with a ban on the other parent having any contact until the child becomes an adult.

So messed up it's not funny.
    Last edited by Formerly Mick; 24-11-2011 at 23:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There HAS to be more to it?!
    As it read, I honestly can't see why it's reason enough to ban visitation/shared care?...

Thanks
    Reviews
    You really cannot form an opinion based on a headline, a few comments and a short article.

Read the judgement when it is published and it may (or it may not) make more sense.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsTruth For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (02-12-2011),MilkingMaid  (25-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-24/father-denied-shared-care-of-daughter/3692492/?site=sydney

After a long legal battle, the court ruled it would be pointless to order shared care of the girl because the mother was determined to ignore court orders and destroy the daughter's relationship with her father.

The court said while it was not in the best interests of the child, the only solution was to ban contact between father and daughter until she turned 18.
    So both parents were being negative towards each other, but because the mother made it clear she'd ignore the courts orders and destroy any relationship the father tried to have with his daughter if it didn't go her way, they just give her what she wanted and more with a total contact ban against the father.
    Last edited by Formerly Mick; 25-11-2011 at 00:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I reckon there's a lot more to the story...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MoonGecko For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (25-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is interesting how vastly different media outlets can be - just look at the way each article mentioned above reported this story.

I still stand by my comment that you need to read the whole judgement before you can form an opinion but based on the ABC article alone I can see why the Court made such an order. It is not in a child's best interest to see parents at each other's throats to the point of violence, to have to be dragged to child psych over and over again for applications and responses that will be brought by both parents each time they do not get what they want, and no doubt in this case to be subject to both parents denigrating the other in front of the child.

Family Court orders are fluid and so they can be varied if circumstances change.

No doubt this judgement will be appealed.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MsTruth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    that's so wrong surely there had to be more to it as much as I disagree with many of the shared care rules (mostly those that effect breastfeeding etc) this is a huge step backwards for fathers rights

Thanks
    Reviews
    Based on the ABC article I can see why the court may have felt that way. Although I find a total ban to be slightly ridiculous. There are other options that could've been used. Even with the violence & nastiness between me and exDP he was still given visitation; the judge ordered police station handovers and put a ban on us contacting each other directly and a denegration order on us too.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Got to be WAY more to the story here...

"There are a number of extremely fraught issues between the parents," Ms Ford said.
    "There were allegations of violence between them; there are allegations of abuse in relation to the child; there is evidence of the father's attitude towards the mother, which is negative.
    "And then there is also a lot of evidence as to the mother's attitude towards the father, which is also negative."
    "The courts have been very careful not to in any way be seen to be complementing, congratulating or condoning the actions and attitudes of each of the parents, and this isn't a case where one should see that the mother has been vindicated in her actions.
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 25-11-2011 at 07:26.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (02-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That poor kid.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post: