+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    For me the essentials are:

good quality scissors
    good un-picker
    measuring tape
    lots of pins
    pin cushion (makes life so much easier)
    tailors chalk (don't buy the pencils - they suck)
    Plenty of different thread colours.
    needles - different sizes.
    I also find it really useful having lots of bobbins - i went and bought a whole bunch and made a bobbin with every thread i had and store them in a little bobbin container. So easy being able to see them all clearly and grab the colour you need. Before this i only had about three bobbins and was winding new colours on every time i had a new project - annoying.

I think most other stuff you can get as you go - wait until you need it and grow your collection that way.

Have fun.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sorry if this is hijacking OP but I have a question for those that use lots of bobbins... do you use plastic or metal? the plastic are much cheaper but I don't have a removable bobbin case in my 30yo dinosaur Elna and i'm afraid of a plastic one breaking. I can't afford lots of metal ones tho...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsTiggyWinkle View Post
    Sorry if this is hijacking OP but I have a question for those that use lots of bobbins... do you use plastic or metal? the plastic are much cheaper but I don't have a removable bobbin case in my 30yo dinosaur Elna and i'm afraid of a plastic one breaking. I can't afford lots of metal ones tho...
    I have both, never broken a plastic one.

However you need to be very careful when buying these as they come in different sizes! New machines seem to have a taller bobbin and if you use the wrong size one you can break the bobbin spinning thingy.

The best way is to google your machine make and number and check what size to use.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Autumncurl For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (23-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subscribing. I'm getting one for my birthday in feb!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Bubhub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Essentials:
    - Permanent place for the sewing machine would be idea. I get sick of hauling it in and out of the cupboard
    - Good scissors
    - Small pair of cheap scissors for snips
    - Lots of bobbins
    - Unpicker (my best friend with sewing)
    - Elastic
    - Sewing gauge
    - Velcro

Atlantic puffin - I love that link! And your covers look gorgeous too. Very talented you are

Tiggy - I only use plastic and have never had a problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I use plastic bobbins, never had any issue with them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Bias tape maker!!
    I bought an electric one and I have never looked back.
    It's a great piece of kit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive just started setting up my own little space and luckily ive got my mums sewing machine plus the cabinet it goes in SCORE lol. I was trawling google also for essentials and starting to get some stuff so this thread is just perfect. Bought scissors and some thin elastic specially for nappy covers..... too cute with ruffles once i master that. Ive collected material on ebay every now and then so think my stash is good to go. I really need some more colored thread plus bobbins so might have to go to the craft store for that (but black and white is good for now)

Im starting off with embellishing bibs, hats ect then going to try a ruffle bum and those shoes posted previously are to die for. LOVE having a lil girl to sew for

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the tips and patterns! I'm getting a new sewing machine and overlocker for christmas and I can't wait!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can never have to many bobbins & some where to put them all.

My overlocker is my best friend, i inherited her from Nan's friend but she's AWESOME. Just dont unthread them
    Super sharp scissors & a home for them
    Buttons im button OBSESSED
    Hock & eyes
    Endless cottons
    paper scissors
    tape measure
    elastic
    bias binding
    patterns
    fabric - dah

Having a permanent place for your machines AWAY from LITTLE people. I use the spare room & have a kiddie lock on the door.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsTiggyWinkle View Post
    My machine only takes plastic, havent broken one yet & thats with kids throwing them around.