+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Enjoy!

Listen don't get held up on things like a logo - I had a bodgy one I made in Paint to start with. YOu can improve things like that. You don't need to have everything perfect to start - you just need to start.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (23-11-2011)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Exactly. IN the first few weeks or months, just use an awesome pic of one of your products as your logo.

Many businesses I have done work for started like this, and then had a logo made up later on- they have the potential to be pricey if you don't shop around and find someone who knows what they're doing without charging you the world

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (23-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by m3g4n View Post
    I'm currently in the same position as you BEP in regards to starring an online business. I shopped around a lot looking for someone to do an affordable but effective website with shopping cart facilities etc and I found the most lovely woman who will do the lot as well as hosting for $750 which compared to others I looked at was a fantastic price and she was extremely helpful and really understood what we wanted I have her details here somewhere, if you would like them just PM me. Hope this helps
    Megan
    Yes please!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    Enjoy!

Listen don't get held up on things like a logo - I had a bodgy one I made in Paint to start with. YOu can improve things like that. You don't need to have everything perfect to start - you just need to start.
    I need people like you around I think!! You're right, I need to stop overthinking and sweating the details and just start! I really want to do this and even if I never sell one item, at least I've had a go and taken the risk.... I'll just have to go back to the awful desk job (that's all the motivation I need to keep going!)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Chew the Mintie  (23-11-2011),Mod-Nomsie  (23-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree that getting a someone with a lot of experience is well worth the money.

SEO is complex. For good SEO you need great relevant content and keywords, back links help. SEO is measured using things like Google Analytics, which can tell you how many people visit which pages, and where they found your website from. SEO requires attention as well- things like blogs and having your twitter feed on your page keeps the page fresh and alive.

Google Adwords is NOT SEO- is SEM (Search Engine Marketing) or PPC (Pay Per Clicks). If you're getting someone to do you SEO and SEM ask if they're Google Accredited, which means they've completed a course via the Google Engage program. Generally these people can get you started with a voucher and kind keywords that a relevant to your website but don't cost a lot.

Things like your logo are important things to worry about- they're all part of your branding and represent you and your business. Everything should be consistent.

You can find people who will do websites cheaper- it just take a bit of hunting. When your asking around there are loads of things to ask so you don't get caught out with extra invoices. You also should make sure you have a complete list of thing you both agreed will be completed, in the right time frame for the originally quoted price.

If you want any more info, or a free Google Adwords voucher to try it out, pm me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rabbity - in case that was aimed at me- I am well aware adwords & SEO are different! In the context I didnt bother going into depth (other than saying SEO is very complex, which it is, too complex to go into this thread).

I think all those things are way way ahead.

On another note, be very careful if you (anyone) gets someone to run an adwords campaign. I paid someone my monthly budget and they ran the campaign *far worse* than I did - BURNT.

But OP, dont worry about all that for now. Just get something up and running with a fb shop or a simple cart.

Adwords works by putting a small ad at the top of your google search results. A lot of people ont even notice it - the first few l isting in a google search are actually ads. The business owner doesnt pay for the ad to run unlses someone clicks on it. How much you pay is a complex thing that I wont worry about explaining for now!

For your business - a small toy store - I am not sure how effective it would be as you'd be running up against hte big boys like toys r us and kmart and so on who I would assume have a consistent adwords campaign for toys.

You can select (to some extent) the location where adwords will run, so you could say have your ad run in a 15 min radius or something. You can also do this on facebook and it might be far more effective there as your ad will be visually appealling. Also facebook ads are far, far cheaper.

You are a long way away from worrying about anyone to do your SEO or adwords, and if that ever happens, get recommendations and references becacuse there are some cruddy operators out there.

Sorry if this was too complicated!

Rememeber you DO NOT need to know about all this stuff to start. Just start! YOu can figure it out on the go. As you make money you can invest back in on logos, branding & marketing.

Flyer marketing at markets in your area might be a good way to go. You can get a flyer made up pretty cheaply and then you pay $100 or whatever for it to go into your local markets. If you have a discount coupon or something on it then that's a good way to get good results.

Good luck! Don't be daunted!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (24-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sorry...I was just giving information from my perspective, not really aiming comments at people...

I know people do get burnt, but as I said- find someone accredited, with experience, who is most likely going to maintain communication lines with reports and updates. After all, the longer you can keep someone happy as a client, the more money you can make off them....

I still disagree about branding and marketing. Finding a unique aim, or niche market within your industry may prove invaluable. For instance- small toy store- aim at people who live overseas looking to send Christmas gifts/other gifts to their niece, nephew, ect in Australia. As a PP previously posted, it's would be hard going up against the big ones, so finding your niche market is crucial to making sales.

KWIM?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

Chew the Mintie  (23-11-2011),Ellewood  (24-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, I agree - but what I can see happening is that the OP gets overwhelmed.

Sometimes you don't have all the pieces in front of you to start. That's okay - they will come. Do what you *can* do.

Depending on your investment BEP - I'd go for someone to send you up an attractive online store & then work hard throuhg facebook to promote it. There's a load of pages on facebook designed for wahms to promote their products (look up the mummy tree on facebook, for example). If you have some good images, then you should be able to get a lot of people following your page.

I know several women incl some hubbers who make their living just throuhg their fb page.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (24-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can go a long way by leveraging free services. E.g.:
    • sell stuff through eBay
    • accept payment solely through PayPal
    • set up a Facebook page
    • blog, blog, blog!
    • let all your friends & family know about your FB page and blog so they can spread the word
    Then, as you start earning money, you can spend some of it on incremental improvements, hiring professional designers and programmers as needed. You don't need to spend a cent to get started.

You might also find the learning curve gentler if you use things like eBay and FB to start with, then move to more feature-rich (and complicated) services in the future.

Another tip: beware of designers who build static sites, then charge you each time you want to make a change to the content. Make sure they set you up with a Content Management System (CMS) so you can make content changes yourself without crossing their palms with silver.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to duncan_bayne For This Useful Post:

Chew the Mintie  (23-11-2011),Luna Lovegood  (24-11-2011),Mod-Nomsie  (24-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry this is just a general comment... I think the blog thing is essential. I just had over 100 hits on my website because somebody (I Dont know who!) shared a page from my site on facebook.

Haven't heard back from the dude I asked to quote on integrating a blog to match my site so I might just bodgy one up myself.

This is the big thing about paying people to do things - you have to wait around for them.

I can really see the power of blogs to draw traffic.

This post is actually a thinly veiled plea to bikerdad or anyone else to advise on setting up blog - i tried to customise a theme in WP to match my site but I am not au fait with php so was a fail. I guess I can just do close enough is good enough and try to get something fairly in line with my site.... and start blogging to draw traffic (have already installed WP into a folder on my site).

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (24-11-2011)