+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    oh, and if you do look up LBM designs can you tell Nicole I sent you! (Maire from Sweet Beats) because I can use brownie point!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well this is why I need a professional to do my site as I need to ensure outcomes up in all the relevant searches... There's lots of other websites that sell this type of thing but mine have a point(s) of difference, which is why it's so important thaty site is highly visable.

LBM is booked Out until feb!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah yes she is super popular.

I am really happy to try and help you..

What you are talking about re searches in SEO (search engine optimisation) and is spuer complicated. You can also use google adwords but this is expensive. It costs me about $1 every time someone clicks on my google ad.

I've just gotten a quote today for a blog and the bloke said he could transfer my entire site to wordpress for about the same cost - has quoted $770 thus far but he will just be copying my existing site (not designing one). I'll let you know how I go with him anyway.

If you want to get something up quickly, you have two options to my mind:

1. zencart

2. wordpress _+ ecwid

Both will give you good ecommerce functionality and both are free - however you really do need to get a handle on the tech side of things a *little*.

Anyway you could have a look at something like this:
    http://www.12leaves.com/store/jolly-...plate-set.html

which is a zen cart theme - you'd have to use it pretty much as is as you wouldnt have the skill to customise it (lol)

This is prob a bad idea actually as it takes some knowhow to even install the theme.

Your other option is word press - why dont you go take a look at wordpress.

Youcould get a theme (ie http://thewordpresstheme.com/free-theme/kids-toys.xhtml) and install it pretty easily, or search the themes. Then you add in ecwid for your ecommerce. I think this would doable for hte complete novice.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (23-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm currently in the same position as you BEP in regards to starring an online business. I shopped around a lot looking for someone to do an affordable but effective website with shopping cart facilities etc and I found the most lovely woman who will do the lot as well as hosting for $750 which compared to others I looked at was a fantastic price and she was extremely helpful and really understood what we wanted I have her details here somewhere, if you would like them just PM me. Hope this helps
    Megan

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Missy14 For This Useful Post:

Chew the Mintie  (22-11-2011),Ellewood  (23-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Megan's suggestion sounds perfect, but if you need another option I can recommend:

www.theitangell.com.au

owned by the husband of a lovely hubber from my due group - she said to email them and they can try and work something out (tel them I sent you).

Good luck I hope you come up with something!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (23-11-2011)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    If you're just wanting to start small, then why not follow CTM's suggestion of starting up a FB page? They're free, you can get excellent advertising just through word of mouth (or create your own paid for advertising ON FB) and if you really want your own webpage, just start with a splash-page and link it back to your FB, and then you can grow it all from there.

The benefit to starting on FB is that you are REALLY minimising start up costs. You don't have to pay a single cent for it, and it really tests the water as to the potential of your business. IN a years or so time, if things are going well, then fork out the cash for a webpage. If things are ok, stick with FB for a little longer whilst trying to drum up more business. If things aren't looking so great, you haven't really lost all that capital into your own webpage.

Almost everyone these days has a FB page (or knows at least ONE person who does!) and once you have 25 'likers' you can have your own domain name, eg : www.facebook.com/mybusinessname

And lastly (I should be paid for all this advertising!) I have found through starting my own business that friends and family usually will do everything they can to help you out and grow your business. The easiest way for them to do that is by talking about it on FB. I was looking at my pages' stats today, and just through friends of friends on my business page, I have the potential to reach an audience of about 80,000 people, without it costing me anything.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

Chew the Mintie  (22-11-2011),Ellewood  (23-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you do decide to go this way, I *think* you could get LBM designs to do just a splash page for you. This is just a page that will come up on the net and you can have a link on it to your fb page. I think it's only $99 for a splash page which includes domain & hosting but I coudl be wrong. IN any case, I use digital pacific and you can prob get a domain and hosting for a year for about $70 or something.

There are lots of ways to integrate a shop into a fb page, I'm about to start using ecwid, so if you want to have a look at my one it's here:
    www.facebook.com/sweetbeatsaustralia
    then go to the 'products' tab. You can customise the appearance a bit (I havent done so yet so i hope there's nothing weird looking). You can use ecwid for free.

I actually would really push a blog though just because you can blab on about your products a bit and hopefully get people travelling to your site that way.

Products like you are intending to sell would do great on fb as they are prob visually appealing and you will find that the small business comunnity on fb is supportive of each other and gives shoutouts and whatnot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just liked your fb page Nomsie, looks like you got lots of likes through BH! i am going to add a fb link to my stall!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (22-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is all great info! Thanks so much - ill get back to this thread later today, currently I have a 16 month-old running around my legs...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think what I need first is a logo - I think the biggest problem I am having here is that there is soooo much info on the net as to how to create a website, who to use to do it etc that the more I read the more confused I get!

At this stage I'm waiting to hear back from Fair Trading as to whether my business name can be registered. I'm also doing lots of internet time researching products/supplies for my hampers, as well as reading a lot on websites/web stores and how to set them up.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Chew the Mintie  (23-11-2011)