+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How do you keep momentum being a WAHM?

Personally, I think I am good at lots of crafty things.... Sewing, cooking, arty kinds of things, album making etc etc, but lack motivation in a way....

All of these things need "refining" before I could ever think of turning my skills and passions into a little work from home business and although I really enjoy all of these things, I just don't know how to go from being here x to ----> XX here! (as in, making a good go of it)

How do you keep momentum and moving forward with your new stay at home business? How do you turn a passion into a small business?
    How do you keep focused while working at home with your kiddies around?

For me, I do think I am quiet talented at picking up new tricks with sewing, and feel I have good taste and style putting fabrics together, so could easily start making cute little kids clothes..

I just worry that I will start something, and not finish it, and then feel like I have wasted my time..!

Any thoughts or words of advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Shameless

This message proudly brought to you by Mumma Puffins portable telecommunication device. Beep beep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Hi AP, I've worked from home temporarily in the past and, even though I'm usually a fairly motivated person, I failed miserably with a child. Mine is pretty 'high maintenance' though DP has his own office and works from home and will have DS on pupil free days/some school holidays etc but it's never a full days work as there are always interruptions.

I think if you love the work, that should help motivate you but my only other advice is to not take too much on and try to get it done while bub sleeps if possible. I had a non-sleeper so please don't take my failure as something set in stone, he's a special one lol.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Atlantic Puffin  (22-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Hi AP, I've worked from home temporarily in the past and, even though I'm usually a fairly motivated person, I failed miserably with a child. Mine is pretty 'high maintenance' though DP has his own office and works from home and will have DS on pupil free days/some school holidays etc but it's never a full days work as there are always interruptions.

I think if you love the work, that should help motivate you but my only other advice is to not take too much on and try to get it done while bub sleeps if possible. I had a non-sleeper so please don't take my failure as something set in stone, he's a special one lol.
    Thanks Benji....

May I ask what you did? Do you think you over committed before your bubba was born and then couldn't keep it up once he was and he was a difficult sleeper?

This message proudly brought to you by Mumma Puffins portable telecommunication device. Beep beep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I did some admin for an old workplace. Started well after he was born, he was just a bad sleeper lol. Would find myself up until all hours of the night due to what I couldn't get done in the day (he was also very clingy to mum).

Thanks
    Reviews
    When kids were babies, I was running a software consultancy business - Working from home....I did reduce my work load a bit - Because I was getting too stressed and too grumpy - I only took on less pressure clients...And slowly once they turned two things came back on track...

One thing I often struggle with (especially lately) is keeping the momentum up...Kids are now in big school - So time is not the issue anymore...But since I am in the early stages of a new business, just keeping my momentum up and remaining focussed is sometimes hard - I am working on it...I am listening to a lot of podcasts on the net while working and this is helping...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I've been thinking about this too.... I love doing crafty things for gifts and always get a really great response.... I often think about doing something at craft markets, but never get around to making enough to stock!!!

One thing I've thought about is maybe doing some 'sample' products for display, and then taking custom orders, I think I would be more motivated to do things if I knew I had a paying customer, and a specific order in place.... maybe thats a thought????

Thanks
    Reviews
    I run a florist business from home. Just weddigs and special events so I know the days I'll be working, unless I get a very peculiar mid week registry wedding.

Hubby has to take up the slack on Friday nights. Because I HAVE to get the order done and out. Someones day depends on it. It has been good for him to take on some responsibility.

Most times it's smooth sailing and when I get knackered ad want to go to sleep I just have to think if I miss one order or it's late then more then likely I'll never et business again which normally is enough motivation to push through.

There's been a few times though in the beginning when my husband was useless at helping an my DD was sick and I'd be prepping roses while rocking her around the house.

Working from home with a small business you rely on getting your orders out completed and on time. As long as you have orders coming in often enough you'll keep your momentum. I find the days during the week when my mates are working an I'm taking DD to playgroup, the library, the park an so on is all the motivation I need to push through the crap moments

Thanks
    Reviews
    I run two businesses from home and found it easier when my daughter was under two years old.
    She is now close to 2.5yrs old and it is so much harder. I'm thinking of childcare as I really need to be available everyday to run my businesses.

It's been quite a journey but well worth it.