+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default asking numbers?

Hi there! i have a very unusual question to ask you all... but before i may explain my situation, i have a beautiful 7 months baby boy and very happy in my married life, i moved to australia in 2006 from france and married my australian man that i met back in UK, we decided it was better if we stay in OZ. But i left my family, friends behind and i miss them dearly, i am quite social, love chatting. I have to admit that since i gave birth i realised i don't have any friends with kids (even without kids).Every time i met someone, that person move away! i tried to attend the mothers group but for some reason i felt sooo left out. I have enough of this, i was looking for the mothers group and it didn't work so i want to move on and meet other mum ... but....but how do you do that? I met mums at the shops, or at the swimming lessons or even online! and when it is time to leave no one is asking each other phone number, i feel extremely shy to ask for it! i am wondering if the other person is thinking the same thing, i am serious, should it be weird of me to ask their number and how do you come up with it without being to pushy? hey yes unusual request there! or anyone have a been thinking about this or experience awkward moment like that?
    THANK YOU!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would be more likely to offer my number than ask theirs.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

AliceandJulian  (19-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    I joined an 'old' mothers group when dd1 was 7 or 8 months old. I moved from the country to the city and desperately wanted a new mg. I spoke to the MCHN who gave my number to an existing mothers group with kids the same age as mine. One of the mums from that group called me and I just joined in. Rocked up to one the their houses and met everyone. There are 10 of us, and 4 years on we still regularly meet up. I would try that. I have also met mums through well organised play groups. If I were you, if there is a mum you get along with then just offer your number, or find something you are both interested in (like a website for kinder or something) ... find a reason to swap numbers in order to sms info etc... Sometimes its a matter of just biting the bullet and doing it! Good luck!

You sound like a fun person you'll have no trouble making friends!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    im too shy to talk to most people so i have the same problem as you but maybre ask if they want to organise a playdate for your kids, then you can swap numbers etc???

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find it best to ask if they would like a play date. For example I have met some lovely mums at Swimming. I just said that next week I am going to take DS to x park after swimming if they would like to join us for a play. worked a treat! And much less imposing than just asking for a number. Although I have also swapped numbers with people for website info etc as a PP said.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachie81 View Post
    I joined an 'old' mothers group when dd1 was 7 or 8 months old. I moved from the country to the city and desperately wanted a new mg. I spoke to the MCHN who gave my number to an existing mothers group with kids the same age as mine. One of the mums from that group called me and I just joined in. Rocked up to one the their houses and met everyone. There are 10 of us, and 4 years on we still regularly meet up. I would try that. I have also met mums through well organised play groups. If I were you, if there is a mum you get along with then just offer your number, or find something you are both interested in (like a website for kinder or something) ... find a reason to swap numbers in order to sms info etc... Sometimes its a matter of just biting the bullet and doing it! Good luck!

You sound like a fun person you'll have no trouble making friends!

thank for you advices!
    next time i ll go to see our nurse i'll ask for a playgroup around, i always though that you have to register online to see the groups that are on. Since my first posts i took up swimming lesson for my baby boy, and go to the park more often it helps heaps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hello there, you're question is very honest and I'm sure you are not alone in asking it.
    My first baby is now 3 years old and a lot has changed since she was 7 months. I started to meet mothers when she was 6 months by going to the library rhyme time sessions. But no phone numbers were exchanged and we all would say goodbye and go home.
    It was since going to playgroup that I have met many mothers and have lots of numbers now because we organize play dates.
    It was very easy and I wasn't trying very hard!
    It was just two days ago that I was reflecting how different it is now - I used to be alone as a Mum and now I feel I have a lot of lovely mums in my life also.
    I think you will find the same.