+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Do you water your lawn?

Hi! I live in brown, crunchy Central Qld.

I have never before watered my lawn, I always saw it as wasteful, having grown up in SE Qld where water was sparse an rainfall was at least fairly regular.

Well, my lawn here is so sharp the kids don't want to go outside. It NEVER rains where I live.

So anyway, I want to start giving it a bit of a water to see if I can encourage it to grow again, or at least stop it from piercing us.

Ive heard if u water in the morning the sun then uses the water to actually scorch the grass, so evening is best, is this true? And do I drench it? Or do I just give it a once over?

Can you tell I'm not a greenthumb?

One more... Should I fertilize? Or, you know... Use blood and bone or whatever? Is that safe for kids?
    Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    It might be prickling you because of the kind of grass you have.

Anyway...yes, drenching it for several hours a couple of times a week is far better than doing it for half an hour every day...it encourages the roots to go deeper and find ground water.

Yes, evening is the best....think about the time of day storms normally come over...not yet night, but once the sun has gone down a bit.

Your lawn will definitely benefit from feeding....I use Dynamic Lifter, which is basically chook poo...when I used to have chooks I used actual chook poo...if you know someone with chooks...ask them, they will be glad to get rid of it!

Ps...also, you can "top dress" you lawn, which is where you bring in nutrient rich soil and spread it over the lawn, so just the tops of the grass sticks out.

I'm not sure how remote you are.

Google "top dress lawns" or go to Bunnings Rockhampton.
    Last edited by blackdog; 19-11-2011 at 17:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It might be prickling you because of the kind of grass you have.

Anyway...yes, drenching it for several hours a couple of times a week is far better than doing it for half an hour every day...it encourages the roots to go deeper and find ground water.

Yes, evening is the best....think about the time of day storms normally come over...not yet night, but once the sun has gone down a bit.

Your lawn will definitely benefit from feeding....I use Dynamic Lifter, which is basically chook poo...when I used to have chooks I used actual chook poo...if you know someone with chooks...ask them, they will be glad to get rid of it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much!

I watered it this arv (and let the kids play in the water).

We live in Gladstone.

We moved in during the floods last year and the grass was so lovely and green. In fact, all of Gladstone was. But I think it's rained maybe 5 times since then. The soil looks all sandy and patchy.

I will give your tips a go.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    we don't as the hose doesn't even work haha but our grass is that brown and spiky I say give it a week it will be dead
    then I look across the road to the guy with the sprinkler and his lush green grass and think maybe I should get a hose attachment so it's less brown haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    We just bought a new house with new lawn freshly laid down and have watered it every day and it has done really well at the front especially in comparison to neighbours that never watered theirs (we use tank water mostly so not so bad). I never actually took much notice of the time we water TBH. definitely a lawn feeder is a good idea if the grass is dead, but DH recently used weed & feed on our back lawn prematurely and it is now all dead so we have been attempting to restore it with top soil and grass feeder (little pellets you can get from bunnings) and watering regularly. It's hard work though!

Sent from my iPhone more than likely while I should be doing something else!

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We are not allowed to water lawn here as we don't have a tank. All our grey water from our washing machine goes on it though, and I run a hose out the bathroom window to syphon out the kids bath water. Guess this year it will look really crummy.....we bought a new front loader that uses less than half the water of our old machine.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (29-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by proud-mum View Post
    We just bought a new house with new lawn freshly laid down and have watered it every day and it has done really well at the front especially in comparison to neighbours that never watered theirs (we use tank water mostly so not so bad). I never actually took much notice of the time we water TBH. definitely a lawn feeder is a good idea if the grass is dead, but DH recently used weed & feed on our back lawn prematurely and it is now all dead so we have been attempting to restore it with top soil and grass feeder (little pellets you can get from bunnings) and watering regularly. It's hard work though!

Be carefull with your new turf....ween it slowly off the daily watering...

With the weed and feed....you have to be careful about what kind of grass you have...weed and feed with kill wide leafed grass, like buffalo....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by proud-mum View Post

With the weed and feed....you have to be careful about what kind of grass you have...weed and feed with kill wide leafed grass, like buffalo....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by blackdog View Post

Yeah thanks for that. A bit late now though the grass is dead and we are definitely trying hard to restore it lol it's a mess. I could kill DH. And yes I think it's buffalo so that explains everything lol it has started growing back now but weirdly as some of the new grass looks much thinner than the old. Who knows, at least we are getting something so I can get bub out the back again!