+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How long does your new baby stay awake for?

Just wondering how long your baby (mine is 5.5 weeks) stays awake for before you need to resettle. A few books/websites have said at least an hour but she only manages 1/2 hour before she starts getting cranky.

Thanks
    Reviews
    At 5.5 weeks dd pretty much fed then slept. I never got an hour out of her and that's what I was recommended.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've got a few books that recommend 'up to' an hour at that age.

My DS is 11wks old and it's suggested he only be awake for 1-1.5hrs at a time even at this age too. It's pretty accurate because if he's awake longer than this then he is much harder to settle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Crumbs! That's why I don't read parenting books! My 2nd at 5 weeks had started staying awake for 5-8 hours at a time. All babies are different.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Susan Mac For This Useful Post:

mummaof4  (21-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    my 3 week old can be awake anywhere between 1/2 hour for feeds, to 5 hours. During the 5 hours she will have periods of alertness where she just stares at the ceiling or curtains! Also i will hold her and she will stare at me. Time also spent feeding, changing, burping etc.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    trust your instincts! if bubs is tired, let them sleep, rather than trying to force an overtired bubs to stay awake

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

mummaof4  (21-12-2011),sjay  (28-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Early in the day, DD (10 weeks) doesn't last more than about 1 - 1.5 hours, but as the day progresses she stretches longer. The longest she lasts is about 3 hours but mostly it's about 1.5

Thanks
    Reviews
    For the first 8 weeks DD was only awake for long enough to feed. I wouldn't sweat it - she'll be awake plenty before long

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wrena For This Useful Post:

mummaof4  (21-12-2011),sjay  (28-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    my first daughter rarely slept she spent the first year of her life always awake screaming her head off and couldnt resettle at all!

But my second daughter from the moment she was born slept all through the night woke up for a feed then back to sleep this continued till she was bout 3months old only ever staying awake for most 10-20mins and now she is 5months she'll be awake for at most a hour then back to sleep for 2-3hrs then awake again for more play and food then back to sleep. But my second daughter was a week premmy and all premmy babies are apparently really sleepy like this (so a few doctors have told me). I wouldnt stress about it eventually your bub will start becoming more alert and stay awake longer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tended to carry my little one in a sling for a little bit of the day to help them get to sleep as he wasn't such a good sleeper. Didn't help during the night time though lol. But at least it meant he wasn't too tired by the night. I actually really loved it. I used one like this http://summerchild.com.au/products/baby-sling-native-grey

I
    t just really worked for me. 5 weeks is still little though so try not to worry too much .. if you can