+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Vasectomy reversal twice?

hi,

I'm wondering whether anyone has heard of anyone having a vasectomy reversal redone?

My DH had a successful reversal in 2008, but this has reblocked by scar tissue (or that's the assumption as he now has zero sperm). We've had 3 unsuccessful IVF treatments, and are now wondering whether his reversal might be able to be redone. His urologist seems completely uninterested, but one couple told me they were offered this option by their urologist, so it's got us thinking...

If anyone has any experience in this, I'd love to hear about it!

Xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    A friend of my Dad's had a vasectomy. Had it reversed to have a child with a new partner. Seperated from her and had the vasectomy redone. Decided to have another child and had the vasectomy reversed again. I realise the 2nd reversal was not needed because of adhesions or scarring but he had 2 sucessful reversals.
    I'm sorry to hear one of your care providers is being unsupportive of your wish to explore another vasectomy reversal. I hope you find a more respectful Urologist soon. HTH

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks nats ...I would've thought that a 2nd vas would cause more damage than a scar tissue obstruction, so maybe there's hope for this plan yet!

Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Pilbara
    How did the 2nd reversal go?
    If you don't mind me asking, what is the process for this?
    Is it covered by medicare?
    How much was the cost?
    What was the recovery like for DH the 2nd time around?
    Did you find a urologist who supported you in the end or did you stick with the one you used before?

This something we are considering also and would appreciate any info you could share on this, thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi hoping41more,

...we found a surgeon on the Internet (thank you google) who does 2nd reversals... We are in WA and he flies in monthly to do reversals at Hollywood private hospital in Perth. My DH rang him and had a phone consultation, and was very impressed by his conversation with him. They just g o in, remove the scarred section and rejoin the ends...in some ways simpler than original because they don't have to hunt around and find the ends...

We booked the surgery, and decided to do another IVF cycle in the meantime, and after my DH's surgery we received the phone call to tell us that the IVF had failed again. It is now 6 months since DH's surgery, and his sperm count is on the low end of normal, with good motility. We have him on various supplements, and he is also sperm banking so that if the tubes reblock before we achieve a natural pregnancy we have the option of IVF with mature sperm.

DHs recovery was fine, he was a bit tender for a week or so, but only took a couple of days off work. He says it was far less painful than the TESA (sperm extraction for IVF). It was not covered by Medicare. I'll get back to you on the cost (I can't remember, but DH will know).

Any more Qs, let me know...

Good luck! Xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your story sounds promising Pilbara

My DP had a reversal about 3-4yrs ago which like you, initially worked but over 12mths scar tissue blocked the tubes back up. We then did IVF with the very lucky situation of it working first go.

We are now in the situation where I would love another one but as I am a SAHM, we can't really afford IVF or another reversal. DP seems to think we could fall naturally, I'm not so sure.

Hope you end up with the little bundle you long for

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there and thank you ladies for your replies.
    Hubby had his vasectomy done in 2005 and the reversal done march 2007. When he had reversal done we found out one side had always been blocked from surgery hubby had as a child. So they successfully un blocked both sides. We thought since it was a short time between vasectomy and reversal we would be fine. But over a 2 1/2 yrs of doing everything we could to increase his sperm count. All we saw was it decreasing. We then went back and saw urologist and he just wanted us to do IVF. But through talking it out with him we came to the conclusion that the good side must have closed up due to scar tissue and the side that had always been blocked but was opened when reversal was done is the only side working and that is why we have sperm but just low numbers ( less than 1 million and about 20% motility). In 5 years we have hoped for a miracle and nothing has happened.
    So I am slowly trying to talk hubby into trying a redo. We are in Brisbane so just looking into who is the best surgeon.
    Is it micro surgery your hubby had?
    Thanks for all the feedback it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, DP had micro surgery by Dr Woollcott. He is very popular, people from all over aust travel to see him. He is in Newcastle. We didn't even consider a redo, I wish we did now.

I suppose it is an option if we want to and the PESA didn't damage the tubes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Becwilblue- you were very lucky to have success with our first cycle of IVF, and from what I've seen on this forum, you'd probably be successful quickly again if you did decide to go down that road... Fingers crossed a swimmer gets through and you get the natural pregnancy you are hoping for.

Hoping - my DHs urologist (the one who did the second reversal) seems to think that if scar tissue built up after the first reversal, it will almost certainly build up again after the second, so I doubt that you could consider it a permanent option. We decided to try it because IVF wasn't working and we figured that my DH could sperm bank with mature sperm before it blocked up again. At this point we are looking at possibly starting IVF in January (but this time using mature sperm)...

Xx

Thanks
    Reviews

Default doctor for 2nd reversal

Hi
    Can you tell me the name of the doctor for this 2nd reversal in Perth?
    Thanks
    Jaise