+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy8411 View Post
    GD isnt diagnosed just by one blood sugar, do you mean this was your glucose tolerance test result? Below 6 is a normal result.
    If it was just a finger prick blood sugar level, any reading between 4-7 is normal. So your reading is normal if its 5.5.
    My fasting bgl is meant to be below 5.0mmol/L for GD. Once I give birth it needs to be under 6.0mmol/L. Post prandial bgl needs to be under 7.0 mmol/L. I know they would like to decrease these levels as well to catch more people with GD.
    Perhaps levels vary state by state.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had GD for ds1 and also have it for this pregnancy. I am lucky to be easily controlled through diet.
    I was induced with ds1 a day early due to GD. This time I am even better controlled and am only testing 3 times a week. I have been told by my ob that I can go until my due date due to this, but will be induced soon after if no bub.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD1 - Boarderline GD so they treated me for GD, she was born at 38+1 and was 7lbs. (emergency c/section)

DD2 - GD diet controlled born 40+2 at 9lbs 2oz (emergency c/section)

DS1 - GD with insulin starting at 32 wks, scheduled c/section at 38 wks he was 6lb 9oz.

Im still yet to go for my glucose test with this pregnancy to find out but i would dear say have it again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    GD isnt diagnosed just by one blood sugar, do you mean this was your glucose tolerance test result? Below 6 is a normal result.
    If it was just a finger prick blood sugar level, any reading between 4-7 is normal. So your reading is normal if its 5.5.
    different states and doctors have different requirements for diabetes.
    i am in SA and when i had gd my fasting level had to be under 5.5 and below 7 2hours after eating.

someone mentioned about inducing on insulin, i had insulin but only over night as my morning fasting levels were always above 5.5 without it but other than that i was pretty strict and was able to use diet control to control the diabetes levels.

does weight have anything to do with doctors inducing with diabetes?
    i have never fallen under the overweight or obese category but my sister and cousin are and have diabetes, they havent mentioned it to my cousin yet she is 35weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD2 was 7 pd 15oz and born at 39 weeks by elective caesar. At first they told me it wouldn't be done before my due date, however when I started insulin it was bought forward.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for all your replies. Feeling a little bit more confident now that this baby won't be too large, considering my GD seems to be well controlled by diet!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had GD with DD and was induced at 40+1 although they were happy for me to go over because it was all well controlled, but I insisted they induce meas that's what they told me they were going to do all along if I hadn't delivered by 40. DD was 8lb 7oz. Got a couple of weeks to go until I test for this one I don't get it this time around. My OB seems confident I won't - not sure how she can be that confident tho!

Thanks
    Reviews
    That is great to know! It was a fasting blood test result & doc said mine is classed as GD, but I havent been for the glucose test, so fingers crossed I pass that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heatherm View Post
    different states and doctors have different requirements for diabetes.
    i am in SA and when i had gd my fasting level had to be under 5.5 and below 7 2hours after eating.
    Oh I see, I live in NSW Aust. and ours is if your over 5.1 your classed as having GD. But I really hope I pass the glucose one, cant remember, how many months do you have to be for that test??

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Birth weight & gestational diabetes

I'm in nsw too. My fasting result was 5.6. I was told it needed to be under 5.5 and after eating under 7. I'm only two days in and have gone over once on my fasting result.