+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Birth weight & gestational diabetes

Hi,

Was just wondering, if you had gestational diabetes what was your babies birth weight and when were they born?

I am starting to get slightly worried about the size of this bubs. She is already feeling huge and I'm only 33 weeks.

DD1 was 8pounds but 7 days late, so quite an average size. DD2 was 9pounds 2 days late (I had GDM, but nothing was done about it) I spoke to my Ob yesterday and he wont induce until my due date. So now I am stressing, that given my history I am going to have a 10pound baby!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just found out I have GD, blood sugar level should be 5.1 mine is 5.5, does this mean your baby can be born big?? Oh no!

My first dd was 6pound8 and my second dd was 8pound1, but I never had GD with either of them, I would be happy to have the same weight baby as my last and no bigger!!
    Last edited by SCORPIOGEMINI; 18-11-2011 at 10:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced at 38 weeks (due to other complications, not as a result of the gestational diabetes) and my son was 7lb 10oz. I did have a growth scan at about 36 weeks just to check he wasn't getting too big, which he wasn't. I didn't have gestational diabetes with my other pregnancies and they were all fairly similar in size when born.

Thanks
    Reviews
    PHEW!! Thats a relief.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i had gd with my ds and he was born spontaneously at 37+4 weighing 6lb 5oz. there was never any mention of inducing me due to gd.
    my sister however has had all of her 5 babies over 8 and 9lb and i think she had gd with 4 out of 5 of them(probably 5 out of 5 but missed the first one i think).
    she was induced with all of her babies too but she is now currently pregnant with twins so i am guessing the will induce her with twins and diabetes(she has now got diabetes not gestational, had it before being preggers).

good luck xoxo

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had GD with my DS. He was induced at 38+4 and was 6lb 8oz. They only really like to induce if you use insulin to help control your GD, at least thats what my ob said. My GD was fairly controlled for the most part, probably over target readings for about 30% of the time before insulin and then only an over target reading once a fortnight once I started insulin. No judgement please, but I was a smoker during my pregnancy so I don't know if that contributed to bub not being overly large.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i had gestational diabetes and was on insulin. i was induced at 39+3 due to unstable sugar levels and DD was 7lb 3oz

i was diagnosed at 20 weeks as i have a family history of diabetes and was very strict on what i ate from then on.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Bubhub

Thanks
    Reviews
    GD isnt diagnosed just by one blood sugar, do you mean this was your glucose tolerance test result? Below 6 is a normal result.
    If it was just a finger prick blood sugar level, any reading between 4-7 is normal. So your reading is normal if its 5.5.

Quote Originally Posted by SCORPIOGEMINI View Post
    I just found out I have GD, blood sugar level should be 5.1 mine is 5.5, does this mean your baby can be born big?? Oh no!

My first dd was 6pound8 and my second dd was 8pound1, but I never had GD with either of them, I would be happy to have the same weight baby as my last and no bigger!!

Ky is offline <--- Ruby, the most precious little red gem ever!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD ... GD requiring insulin from 22 weeks. Caesar at 37 weeks after failed induction due to lack of fluid. DD was 8lb 7oz

DS ... GD requiring insulin from 30 weeks. Caesar at 36 weeks due to polyhydramnious and his size. DS was 13lb 2oz

DD2 ... GD requiring insulin from 9 weeks (probably preexisting diabetes). Caesar at 39 weeks due to past caesar history and DD's complex congenital heart disease. DD2 was 9lb 8oz

This bub ... I'm a type 1 diabetic now due to my pancreas shutting down in an autoimmune response to the grief of losing DD2. Am 29w pregnant and my scan on wednesday has shown that bub is already close to 4lb having gone from spot on size for dates 5 weeks ago to almost 3 weeks ahead on wednesday. Bub will be born by caesar some time between 35 - 38 weeks depending on whether her growth continues to accelerate or not.
    Last edited by Ky; 18-11-2011 at 12:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had GD with DD1, she was born on her due date & weighed 8lbs 7oz.

I didn't get it with my next 2 pregnancies.

DD2 weighed 8lbs 6oz and DD3 weighed 10lbs 3oz!!!