+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Forgot to ask - is it same to do ab exercises? I have been doing planks (hold for 10sec x 3 reps) and side planks too. Even before I fell pregnant I was told not to bother with crunches as it only works the one muscle across the belly and was better off working on core muscles & diet to reduce mummy tummy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ooops safe not same lol sorry on iphone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrissyG View Post
    Forgot to ask - is it same to do ab exercises? I have been doing planks (hold for 10sec x 3 reps) and side planks too. Even before I fell pregnant I was told not to bother with crunches as it only works the one muscle across the belly and was better off working on core muscles & diet to reduce mummy tummy
    I am avoiding abs... I have also been doing planks as an alternative!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CrissyG View Post
    It's safe to do ab work, but nothing laying on your back after trimester 1 so plank is a good alternative!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for the great advice!

I knew those ladies who worked at my gym were being overly conservative. I was doing heavy weights six days a week about 4-5 months ago. I obviously don't want to lift heavy now, but I'd love to do some light weights like Bec mentioned.

You've inspired me to get started and at least get walking!

Thanks girls!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveyDovey View Post
    Thanks so much for the great advice!

I knew those ladies who worked at my gym were being overly conservative. I was doing heavy weights six days a week about 4-5 months ago. I obviously don't want to lift heavy now, but I'd love to do some light weights like Bec mentioned.

You've inspired me to get started and at least get walking!

Thanks girls!
    You go girl!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to becandabub For This Useful Post:

LoveyDovey  (18-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi Ladies I'm really glad that I found this thread and have just subscribed to it. I am nearly 24 weeks pregnant with number 2 and are due in the middle of March. I've recently been put on medication because my blood pressure was high and also take anti-depressants which I have taken for the last 9 years. I also have to be careful because I have a small tear in my right calf muscle.

I currently do aqua aerobics two days a week, which is good for my leg. My goal is to also walk two or three days a week but with the stupid weather combination of the heat and the rain that we've had the last couple of weeks plus my sore leg it has made the walking hard.

I am an overweight women and I put on 14kgs with DD. I lost that weight but then last year I put on 5kgs. I went to the Dr and with his help I went on to lose 20kgs before falling pregnant with #2. This pregnancy I have put on 4kgs so far and are still 20kgs under my full term weight with DD. My goal this time is to weigh less full term than I did when I fell pregnant with DD.

As for ab exercises we do them at aqua aerobics and our instructor said its ok to do them in the water for as long as you are comfortable, remembering that the bigger you get the harder it will be do do them.

Looking forward to getting to know you all and learning lots that will help us to have fit and nutritious pregnancies.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to zephani For This Useful Post:

becandabub  (18-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, thanks for posting this thread!
    I have a few questions so please bare with me.
    Ive just returned to the gym although I mainly only do pump classes atm. Is this safe to keep doing when pregnant (am ttc this month) even though I have only just started back (4-6 wks ago)? Im not lifting anything heavy, 12 kg squats, 6 kg lunges, 10kg back, 6 kg tric/bic/chest. Im still unfit so I do get red and out of breath after the big tracks.
    You said no over the head stuff- so no clean and press or shoulder raises? Also I laid on my back throughout my previous pregnancies- if it still feels ok during the next pregnancy can I still do it for ab workouts? Its only ever a few mins max.
    Thanks!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by My Beloved Ones View Post
    Hi, thanks for posting this thread!
    I have a few questions so please bare with me.
    Ive just returned to the gym although I mainly only do pump classes atm. Is this safe to keep doing when pregnant (am ttc this month) even though I have only just started back (4-6 wks ago)? Im not lifting anything heavy, 12 kg squats, 6 kg lunges, 10kg back, 6 kg tric/bic/chest. Im still unfit so I do get red and out of breath after the big tracks.
    You said no over the head stuff- so no clean and press or shoulder raises? Also I laid on my back throughout my previous pregnancies- if it still feels ok during the next pregnancy can I still do it for ab workouts? Its only ever a few mins max.
    Thanks!!
    Hi!! Good on you!! The first thing I'd say is you probably want to add some cardio work - pump is awesome, but you won't be training you cardiovascular system much during a pump class so I'd add some combat or walking/jogging to your weekly routine if you can.
    Exercise is safe to continue with, the way I looked at it when ttc is that people sometimes dont even know theyre pregnant & keep on with their normal routine! Obviously you're able to better protect your growing bub by knowing, but exercise in general wont be harmful. Just watch your heart rate & temp - you might like to take your weights down a notch when you fall pregnant, as your risk of injury will also increase with the loosening of your joints. I halved my pre-pregnancy weights, & added reps till I started to feel comfortable doing it all again & then started to increase the weights again, slowly. Listen to your body!!
    Yep, nothing heavy over your head. You're better to focus on your deep core during pregnancy, these exercises are done mostly on your front with a ball etc. Deep core is really what stabilises your whole body, so its useful to keep everything in check during & post pregnancy. If you want to keep doing ab work on your back then do - for me, I'm only 11.5 weeks & I already feel pressure on my lower back when I lie on it! If you know & are in tune with your body, just listen to it & follow its instructions. For most people to avoid unneccesary injury, ab work shouldn't be done laying on their back after trimester 1.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Great thread. Can I ask about pregnancy and heart rate?

I am currently overweight (87kg, 169cm), but I exercise on average an hour a day. Most of the time it is a les mills class (pump, step, attack, combat). My heart rate sometimes gets up to 180 during the cardio peaks, and for step is at least 150-160 for most of the class.

Same with jogging. I did 10k over 1.5 hours the other day and my hr was at least 150 the whole time.

Is 140 the magic number? I find that frustrating. Does that start from early on. Don't tell me to do boring aqua and pilates.

What about pump weights? Do you just lift the same?

Btw, I'm not currently pregnant, but may be ttc. This could be moot as last time my ms was too bad to exercise btw weeks 6 and 19 anyway.

Thanks in advance, and thanks so much for offering to share your fitness knowledge.