+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default And we're live!!

Hi everyone! KW123 & I are your Pregnancy Fitness & Nutrition Ambassadors. Please feel free to post any questions here and we will do our best to answer! In the meantime, can you let us know what you guys would like to see here from us?

I can't speak for KW123, but I'm a fitness professional who works in nutrition consulting currently. I've got a special interest in pregnancy as I'm currently in the throws of my first pregnancy, but also because I've had many pregnant clients who found it difficult to find comprehensive resources around nutrition during their pregnancy.

I follow a mainly vegan diet myself, but have done basically everything in the past - from Weight Watchers to Body Trim to Intermittent Fasting! I say I'm mainly vegan because I sometimes get the feeling my baby isn't...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi "waves" I am 10weeks tomorrow and up until 4weeks ago (surprise pregnancy) I was running over 25km a week. I lost all the baby weight from 2previous pregnancies (youngest is now 19mths) and was starting more toning exercises, yoga and running. I would love more info and motivation on how to keep fit while pregnant. I have almost put on 1kg (still lighter than when I fell pregnant with first) which my doctor says is fine and I need to have put on 2kg by Christmas?!? I know with both previous I ended up weighing same in the end but only lost 5kg -8kg after having them 6 weeks on - so clearly I didn't need all the excess ;-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hello everyone!!! I'm certainly no fitness or health professional but do have a genuine interest in this area. Over the last year or so I have been on a significant weightloss but also (and more importantly) an overhaul of my general fitness and diet. I didn't have loads to lose (8kg in the end) but I had to work really hard and am now very happy with my 8/10 figure. I also never used to exercise but have done so regularly for over a year now and have never felt or looked better. I certainly look better at 29 than I did at 21!!

I'm really keen to not let my hard work go to waste now I'm pregnant (due in July). I'm still seeing my trainer once a week but am missing my usual Attack classes and finding it hard to adjust to swimming and Pilates! I've also found it hard to watch the scales going up, but know I need to get over that as long as I maintain a healthy weight gain...

I ove to cook and my DH is gluten and dairy free so I'm used to cooking those types of meals. He also avoids sugar, which I did too before my Malteser craving kicked in

Looking forward to sharing ideas as experiences with you all.
    Last edited by kw123; 17-11-2011 at 17:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi guys!

Well...I deserve a big slap on the wrist because I put my gym membership on hold yesterday!

I hadn't been for so long because of morning sickness, and then the women who work at my gym said I shouldn't do any excercise at all because I haven't been used to it and "pregnancy is not the time to start".

Anyway...I don't fully agree with what they said and I'm just wondering if you guys think walking is okay? I'd love to go on evening walks with DP and our neighbourhood has lots of nasty hills to climb. Surely that would be okay so long as I keep my heartrate below a certain point (is it 140?).

I'm envious of you girls who went into your pregnancies with a good excecise routine already in place!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveyDovey View Post
    Hi guys!

Well...I deserve a big slap on the wrist because I put my gym membership on hold yesterday!

I hadn't been for so long because of morning sickness, and then the women who work at my gym said I shouldn't do any excercise at all because I haven't been used to it and "pregnancy is not the time to start".

Anyway...I don't fully agree with what they said and I'm just wondering if you guys think walking is okay? I'd love to go on evening walks with DP and our neighbourhood has lots of nasty hills to climb. Surely that would be okay so long as I keep my heartrate below a certain point (is it 140?).

I'm envious of you girls who went into your pregnancies with a good excecise routine already in place!
    Becandabub will likely have a better idea but I can tell you what I know.... I do think that pregnancy is not really the time to actually start anything new, apart from gentle exercise like walking, swimming and yoga/pilates.

Walking is brilliant for you! Around 140bpm is about right, and you would have to walk pretty hard to get it that high...

Good luck with it - it will make all the difference in the end, to pregnancy, the birth, and everything afterwards (at least that is what I am hoping for!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveyDovey View Post
    Hi guys!

Hmm, I think your gym ladies need the slap on the wrist! You should be fine to exercise, things to watch are your heart rate as you mentioned, and your body temp. Since I started coming back from my m/s, I've been doing light weights once a week - nothing over my head, and a short session of about 20 minutes covering most or all muscle groups, 1-2 lap swims and at least one walk on 6.5 on the treadmill, highest incline I can handle.

My biggest tip is listen to your body! Pain means you've overdone something - it doesn't necessarily mean stop immediately, but it might mean you've moved in the wrong way and need to be more careful. I just try and make sure I'm constantly in tune with my body - if I get a twinge, I'll slow down, if it keeps on then I'll stop and hop on the bike or have a stretch.

The other thing about pregnancy is everything is relaxed - all your joints will be looser than you're used to, so it's best to start slowly and build up some good muscle tone to support your joints before you push things to the next level.

HTH!!

KW, I am also gluten intolerant! AND I lost 22kg through diet and exercise about 4 years ago. Good on you for working hard at your goal - and for keeping up the hard work!! It's easy to let life get in the way of those "negotiable" things like healthy eating and exercise - I know I've been a culprit at times!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Becandabub - please share your weights routine! I need one! And no over the head is perfect as I have an old shoulder issue...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CrissyG View Post
    Hi "waves" I am 10weeks tomorrow and up until 4weeks ago (surprise pregnancy) I was running over 25km a week. I lost all the baby weight from 2previous pregnancies (youngest is now 19mths) and was starting more toning exercises, yoga and running. I would love more info and motivation on how to keep fit while pregnant. I have almost put on 1kg (still lighter than when I fell pregnant with first) which my doctor says is fine and I need to have put on 2kg by Christmas?!? I know with both previous I ended up weighing same in the end but only lost 5kg -8kg after having them 6 weeks on - so clearly I didn't need all the excess ;-)
    Sounds like you've got things pretty down pat!! I'd be wary of introducing anything new too quickly apart from tailored pregnancy yoga/pilates which are excellent for core conditioning and getting that baby out!! If you were running already I'd see no issue with you continuing provided you keep your heart rate at a reasonable level for your age and you don't get too hot. Gone are the days when I'd run till I was beetroot red - at least for 6 months anyway!

That seems strange to me that your doc would be telling you you need to have gained a certain amount of weight by Christmas! Are you underweight now? Everyone will gain at a different rate - I'm 11 weeks today but haven't gained a gram, I'll just increase my calories in trimester 2 so I gain a little each week (which will be hard as I feel like I'm eating all the time at the moment!) - but I'll listen to my body and if I feel like I'm eating too much I'll cut it down to something I'm comfortable with and that meets mine & bubs' nutritional needs. As a guide, 500g a week in trimester 2 is ok as long as you're not over or underweight currently.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Becandabub - please share your weights routine! I need one! And no over the head is perfect as I have an old shoulder issue...
    I like to mix it up. My basic routine will be one of two things:

2 sets x 20 kettlebell swings, superset with 2 sets x 20 deadlift high pulls (kettlebell)
    2 sets x 12 bent row, superset with 2 sets x 20 dips
    If I'm feeling particularly butt-flabby, I'll do 2 sets x 12 squats sometimes with free weights, sometimes on the smith machine, sometimes with a fitball
    Then abs - a range of exercises, probably 6-8 sets of 15-20 reps

OR

2 x 12-15 incline leg press
    2 x 12-15 shoulder press
    2 x 12-15 seated row
    2 x 12-15 bicep curls
    2 x 20 dips
    If I feel energetic I'll do some push ups here but this is rare!!
    Abs - as above.

I have an excellent PT who sometimes can't resist and comes and trains with me. She always has some good tips and helps me keep things fresh. I haven't trained with her as much as I should recently because she used to make me vom pre-pregnancy and the thought of it was just too much!! I love her dearly though, she is excellent at her job.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think I am underweight I am 1mt & 62cm tall and weigh 59kg. If I am hungry - I eat. I am more aware now and have more carbs on days U jog as I need more fuel but other that that I love my fruit & yogurt and fresh vegs & salads esp now our veg garden is thriving and chooks are laying eggs ;-) I am trying to do the exercises I did before just modified slightly and more with the ball and aware of posture at all times. This lil baby is coming out of the womb with runners on ;-) hehe