+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Nightmare Teething....HELP

HELP LADIES,

My nearly 8 month old has been cutting her two bottom teeth for the past two weeks. She has been in constant pain during this time. She starting the teething process at four months with drooling, biting everything and being cranky, I dealt with that using an amber bead necklace, teething rings, massaging the gums, cool washers, bonjela and panadol if it got too bad. The last two weeks she has had panadol at least once per day. I feel terrible giving her panadol every day. I took her to the doc and she does have a sore throat and has been on amoxil for 3 days. I am still having to give her panadol. Her sleeping is terrible. Up every hour or so through the night. I just pat her back to sleep. She use to put her self to sleep and I would sit on a chair in her room however now I have to put her on the breast to get her to sleep because she will scream the house down. At night she is a little bit better and will sometimes still put herself to sleep while other times I need to rock her. I feel like I have taken a giant leap backwards!!!!!!!

So my questions are has anyone else been through teething like this? Is it like this with each tooth coming through? Did your routine come back easily or was it like starting from scratch again?

I am just exhausted being up so much through the night and she will only have 2 30 minute naps through the day. Her day starts at 4.30 unfortunately and she goes to bed at 6.30 - 7pm so it is a very, very long long day! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We found the first two extremely hard to cut. It does get easier though. Some of my tips are: sm33 gel instead of bonjella because sm33 has a numbing agent whereas bonjella doesn't. If you have a mesh feeder make homemade iceblocks from juice or purée and give to bub to suckle on. For bigger bubs I buy the purée poppers and put them in the fridge or freezer to make a slushie - nice and numbing on the teeth.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nicole83 For This Useful Post:

rachel27  (17-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh poor you. I am currently going through the exact same thing. My baby is 6 months old and usually sleeps about 11 hours at night but at the moment is getting a tooth and is waking up every 30 min at night. It eventually gets to a point (usually around 3.30am) where I am so exhausted that we end up sleeping on the couch (which I know is incredibly dangerous). Did your baby's sleeping pattern get back to normal?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi giggleandhoot!

My little girl has finally started sleeping the best she ever has, which to some would still not be ideal. We made her bedtime 7.30 and she wakes between 4-5am (she needs resettling usually at 2 and 3). Her first nap is at 8-9am and then 1.30-3 (I lay down with her so that she stays sleeping for that length of time). She was waking constantly for 4 weeks and then slowly once her 2 bottom teeth came through she started waking less often. It was a terrible month but there is a light at the end of the tunnel!! She is getting better at going to sleep and isn't screaming anymore. We are not at the lay her down and she puts herself to sleep stage yet but we are working on it. I just hope it isn't this bad for all the teeth coming through. We spent a lot of time co-sleeping in our bed. Have you considered the bed rather than the lounge? My husband went to the spare room many nights as he had to work the next day. Would that be an option for you? Or even you and bub on a mattress in bub's room...it's just that you might be doing this for a while sorry to say. I hope it doesn't last as long as it did for our bub. Good luck and let me know how you go

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am going thru the same as you with my 10mth old! I am also interested in other pain relief. Hope the wise people of bubhub can give us help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    So glad to have read this thread, as I was thinking I had done something to ruin my DS's good sleeping habits!....I am going through the same thing with my 11mth old DS for the last 5-6 weeks. He was such a good sleeper before, and then he got 4 teeth all at once, and started waking hourly, catnapping during the day and also unable to self-settle or re-settle. I resorted to BF him to sleep. The last week I have stopped BF him to sleep, and just patting him to sleep on my lap. He is getting better, and the nights are slightly better (still waking frequently, so we are also co-sleeping), but he is far from where he was 6 weeks ago. Huge step back. He refused to take panadol/dymadon, but he likes the taste of Nurofen, and I think it did help him.

I'm absolutely positive that once he gets back on track, then his twin sister will get a bunch of teeth and I'll have to endure that also! Argggh!

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    She is sick with a throat infection as well as teething. If there is no improvement in a day or two I would be taking her back to the dr after 3 days of Antibugs. Sleep when you can, mattress in the room is good.
    Try not to rock, shhh and pat might work. Are you wrapping her? I found my DS improved after going back to wrapping. He was a bad teether too. He never slept through (longer than 6 hours) until he was 18months old and he had stopped hte bottles and was in a big bed. He also got his first tooth at 4months.
    It may be the age too. Have a look at wonderweeks and the SA cyh website. It might have handy tips. If you ahve a parent helpline in your state they can be a big help too.

Good luck