+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS doesn't have a dummy as he was breastfed and had me as a dummy. However he has his "doo doo" which is an old shirt of mine that he chews on vigorously when he goes to bed. He doesn't just suck on it like most kids, there are hundreds of tiny holes in the shirt of where he has put his teeth through.

This is the one behaviour that worries me the most. The licking and chewing of very inappropriate items. Hairbrush isn't that bad. Try the toilet freshener that hangs in the bowl

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    eww. yes i am thankful he hasnt done that yet, but like you the behaviour concerns me a lot.

my eldest chews on his fingers when it gets too much, the first 3-4 months of the new school year leave him with fingers that have all the skin peeling off them from how much he chews/licks/sucks on them, and will chew his collar if need be. he mouths things at the shops that make me cringe...like putting his mouth all over hand rails n worse ..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hate it when DS mouths the pushbar of shopping trolleys. It really makes me sick. Especially the one I was pushing a few days ago. It had chewing gum stuck in the corners. Thank God DS wasn't with me that time. I do have one of those seat covers, but the legholes are too small for him.
    The finger chewing is terrible. He must get a few infections that way. DS only just started chewing his fingers when he's in the car with me. I always have lots of toys in the back to try and distract him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondEyes View Post
    Speechy said ot would have chew tubes n stuff to help maybe? ill def try chew toys, but am worried given his age he might confuse all toys with it.

Good luck with the listening, how much to hire it if u dont mind me asking?
    Definitely try the chew tubes? Here's ONE that looks ok? It's under $10 too, which is a bonus

As for the threapeutic listening... to hire I think it's about $80 per fortnight? To buy it ourselves it's $300 to set up plus $40 a fortnight to hire the CDs. If we continue with it, we'll need to buy our own asap, BUT I'm dubious about how well it's working.
    DD2 loved the first CD, but HATES the second CD and is hard pushed to follow through with it. In fact, it seems to make her behaviours worse

I feel like we're just in this black hole of "dealing with it". Everything makes a mild difference for a week or two and then we're back to step one. Nothing is heading us closer to toilet training (She's 3+ years now), she still struggles in social situation just as badly as she did before we started spending $100's on OTand we're as lost now as we were three months ago.

Tonight I F*&^ing HATE SPD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subscribing be back baby needs to eat

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I hope im not over stepping the mark here, but have u considered or have u had an assessment done for asd?

We just had ds #2 assessed and came back yep asd, and a lot of his issues are sensory as well. So double the appointments for everything now.. Its hardcore, im grieving the loss of the 'normal' child... I thought i was gonna have one that i didnt need to worry about so much.. *sigh*

The therapeutic listening, i was talking to speechy about it (i might have said this before) but, apparently the affects arent long term, apparently it works while they are listening but return to their behaviours when they arent... So furstrating, i guesss it helps if she hadto sit and concentrate on homework or something and it calmed her while that was happening...but really expensive for no garentee.

We just completed the brushing, and joint compression trial, every two hours for two weeks.

It was so brutal, we were all so stresssed, and depressed, my lil boy was so miserable. It did help tho...so we hafto do it, before school, after school and before bed for always now.

TT.. aww hun, its so rough, what does ot suggest? Paed? We are nowhere near TTing with mr almost 3... Just cant see it happening for ages.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondEyes View Post
    I hope im not over stepping the mark here, but have u considered or have u had an assessment done for asd?

We just had ds #2 assessed and came back yep asd, and a lot of his issues are sensory as well. So double the appointments for everything now.. Its hardcore, im grieving the loss of the 'normal' child... I thought i was gonna have one that i didnt need to worry about so much.. *sigh*

The therapeutic listening, i was talking to speechy about it (i might have said this before) but, apparently the affects arent long term, apparently it works while they are listening but return to their behaviours when they arent... So furstrating, i guesss it helps if she hadto sit and concentrate on homework or something and it calmed her while that was happening...but really expensive for no garentee.

We just completed the brushing, and joint compression trial, every two hours for two weeks.

It was so brutal, we were all so stresssed, and depressed, my lil boy was so miserable. It did help tho...so we hafto do it, before school, after school and before bed for always now.

TT.. aww hun, its so rough, what does ot suggest? Paed? We are nowhere near TTing with mr almost 3... Just cant see it happening for ages.
    Definitely not overstepping the mark there. The Paed said in November that if she was ASD he'd eat his hat she apparently doesn't even register on the spectrum to warrant an assessment. And most of the time I agree, it's just that this whole thing just gets me down sometimes and makes me feel so overwhelmed by it all. Our OT thinks we should persist with the therapeutic listening. She said after our appointment on Monday that Piper seems to be more organised in her speech and therefore interpretation of the world around her and she thinks that's a huge leap. So *sigh* we'll find the money somewhere (I wish I could lay golden eggs!) and invest in it and see how it goes.

DiamondEyes, just want to give you some HUGE . It must be a rough realisation that the hope for a "normal child" has been shattered
    What's next for your little boy? A friend of mine was telling me about a one off payment for technology for families who have more than one child in the family with ASD, did you know about that? I know she's looking into some sort of program to help with therapy for her children and it costs about $500.

Huge congrats on surviving the two week intensive brushing! It can be pretty intense, so well done you! I'm really sorry I didn't check in with you to see how it was going, my head has been up my own bum lately.

As for TT....well, I think the idea is that as she improves with the therapy she will naturally be more grounded and open to the actual training. Our OT said a lot of SPD kids really struggle with TT, so we just have to relax do the therapy and try not to think too far ahead.

So, much love and positive vibes to you and yours Diamond

Thanks
    Reviews
    I literally only heard about SPD for the first time just 4 days ago. I read an article in "Adelaide Child" by a mother dealing with it and just burst into tears as it was sooo like my DD! And daughteroftheforest, i was speaking with your friend Mimi on Saturday and she was telling me more about it.

It has only become apparent as she has gotten older that DD's behaviour wasnt normal. Blindingly so, now that we have another child and can really see the difference.

DD is now 4. She is extremely sensitive to noise. We'd just bought some ear muffs for her to wear so that i can vacuum without a total meltdown.
    Bright lights seem to hype her up. I try not to take her shopping as it inevitably turns to whinging and meltdowns.
    She hates tags and seams. When she dresses herself she usually wears leggins without underwear and an old soft tshirt.
    She is constantly snacking - like mamaC said, barely has a nibble. But then complaining "im starving!" just 10mins later. She doesnt drink a lot, but her cousin has similar traits and drinks constantly. I will be speaking to my brother about that once i know more about spd myself.
    She doesnt listen to me. Doesnt seem to hear me shout sometimes. I thought she had hearing issues, or maybe she was selectively ignoring me. She listens to her father.
    She runs in circles. Clockwise. For up to 10mins at a time, several times a day, everyday. This has baffled me for years and has attracted many questions from friends and relos.
    She hates wearing shoes but refuses to walk on certain surfaces such as grass or sand.
    Doesnt like her hair being brushed. Likes it hanging over her face.
    Toilet training was a 2 year long nightmare, but we are finally there. She often refuses to go when we are out though, and will try to hold on till we get home.
    She was very slow with fine motoer skills and still needs help dressing. Still cant do buttons or zips or laces on her own.

Despite all of this, she is extremely bright. Began speaking in sentences at 8 months old, reading by 18 months old. At age 4, she is reading at a grade 2 level, maths at a grade 1 level, can count to 100 and speaks english with the clarity of an adult, and is fluent in french.

I have felt so lost and baffled by her peculiarities and her "short comings" in light of how bright she is in other areas. SPD makes sense. But clearly i need to learn more. How do i get her assessed? Where do i learn more?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaC View Post
    Definitely not overstepping the mark there. The Paed said in November that if she was ASD he'd eat his hat she apparently doesn't even register on the spectrum to warrant an assessment. And most of the time I agree, it's just that this whole thing just gets me down sometimes and makes me feel so overwhelmed by it all. Our OT thinks we should persist with the therapeutic listening. She said after our appointment on Monday that Piper seems to be more organised in her speech and therefore interpretation of the world around her and she thinks that's a huge leap. So *sigh* we'll find the money somewhere (I wish I could lay golden eggs!) and invest in it and see how it goes.

DiamondEyes, just want to give you some HUGE . It must be a rough realisation that the hope for a "normal child" has been shattered
    What's next for your little boy? A friend of mine was telling me about a one off payment for technology for families who have more than one child in the family with ASD, did you know about that? I know she's looking into some sort of program to help with therapy for her children and it costs about $500.

Huge congrats on surviving the two week intensive brushing! It can be pretty intense, so well done you! I'm really sorry I didn't check in with you to see how it was going, my head has been up my own bum lately.

As for TT....well, I think the idea is that as she improves with the therapy she will naturally be more grounded and open to the actual training. Our OT said a lot of SPD kids really struggle with TT, so we just have to relax do the therapy and try not to think too far ahead.

So, much love and positive vibes to you and yours Diamond

MAMAC!! omg i must apologise, my control panel never told me this thread had been replied to, so i missed your very lovely supportive post. im sorry i hope u dont think i was being rude. i very much appreciate your kind words *super hugs*

how is your LO going??

we are trying to access some funding for dS#1 through life without barriers, for sound therapy, a writing slop, a mini trampoline, a seat wedge etc. i'm really excited, i hope we qualify.

*sigh* im really stressed, DS#2 has been having severe outbursts when we leave the house, he is pretty big for his age and the pram is starting to be really heavy to push, but without he it just goes crazy, so we need to have him in it, with a blanket over the top to drown everything out. we get so many stares.

i need to get organised! like mega orgnised, so many things going on, theres so many therapies to do and not enough time to do them as well as home work and home reader and appointments and all the rest, it leaves 0 time for fun, and the boys are miserable. >_<

Just shiny - *hugs* first step is GP, to get a referral to a paed. if u have a paed already, take her to them. they will give u referral for assessments. it usually takes a while. there are long waiting lists everywhere, but stick with it, your LO sounds like they need some help xox

Thanks
    Reviews
    i was afraid you'd say GP. We don't have a GP. Can a MCH nurse do a referral for a paed?