+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BekahRose View Post
    He doesn't just drink the water he constantly plays in it too and soaks the furniture and carpets he's a real water baby.

His speech has never been a problem but the whinging and demanding is really getting me down.

With toilet training he just doesn't feel the need to go and hell stand or sit somewhere and pee without realizing and because we have carpet everywhere except the bathroom it's really problematic I just don't have time to constantly sponge and dry carpet patches

I'm thinking about going to the gp again and getting a referral to a pead because the chn is hopeless and keeps telling me to enroll in triple p and 123 magic like its a problem with my discipline
    Oh Bekah its not about discipline. Definately get a referral to a paed. It was the first step for us too.

My little one drinks a lot of water too and I'd never thought about it much until your post. She also loves to stick her fingers in water. And don't even get me started on toilet training! There is no toilet traaining

Anyway, let us know how you get on with the GP

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi girls, I would love to join this group. My beautiful precious little boy was diagnosed with SPD last year. He was also diagnosed with Auditory Processing Disorder as well. We have been given the all clear for Austism Spectrum. My beautiful little boy is nearly 8 years old and since he started school his life has been quite tough, most days I am an emotional wreck and have had to try to remove myself somewhat and put DH in charge of things like school drop off. Like other posters have metioned DS seeks movement, so he is constantly on the go and we find this is intensified by over tiredness or over stimulation, DS's calm happy place is in the shower (sometimes I wonder if we are the sole reason for the drought in Victoria lol), when he is really hyped up I have learnt it is best to put him in the shower as it will instantlly calm him down. In terms of his need for movement he uses a 'move n sit' cushion at shool which provides movement and senory feedback and really assists with his concerntration, he also constantly likes to eat, he is emotionally fragile - it does not take much to reduce him to tears, he gets angry and frustrated. My heart breaks everyday, my DH just does not understand it like I do and he gets so frustrated with DS. The Xmas break is a major relfief to me as I dont have to deal with him fighting about going to school, coming home every afternoon aggitated and angry. Everything inside of me wants to protect him, sometimes I feel like I want to run away with him and hide from the world and just keep him all to myself (oh shiz I have started crying). I dont want him to feel the way he feels, he has been so down on himself, he thinks he is stupid, he thinks he is dumb and at 8 years old that scares the sh*t out of me Some of the best advice we have been given is to harness his strong points and use them to build his confidence. My baby may not be the smartest child in the classroom but man you should see him ride a BMX track, jump his bike into a foam pit, back flip into our pool - in my eyes he is the ducks guts!!
    Aaahh sorry bout the long post, but gosh it feels wonderful to get it off my chest. My advice to everyone would be to also have your child tested for Auditory Processing Disorder - a developmental audiologist will be able to do this. Very different to a standard hearing screen...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lovelymum View Post
    Hi girls, I would love to join this group. My beautiful precious little boy was diagnosed with SPD last year. He was also diagnosed with Auditory Processing Disorder as well. We have been given the all clear for Austism Spectrum. My beautiful little boy is nearly 8 years old and since he started school his life has been quite tough, most days I am an emotional wreck and have had to try to remove myself somewhat and put DH in charge of things like school drop off. Like other posters have metioned DS seeks movement, so he is constantly on the go and we find this is intensified by over tiredness or over stimulation, DS's calm happy place is in the shower (sometimes I wonder if we are the sole reason for the drought in Victoria lol), when he is really hyped up I have learnt it is best to put him in the shower as it will instantlly calm him down. In terms of his need for movement he uses a 'move n sit' cushion at shool which provides movement and senory feedback and really assists with his concerntration, he also constantly likes to eat, he is emotionally fragile - it does not take much to reduce him to tears, he gets angry and frustrated. My heart breaks everyday, my DH just does not understand it like I do and he gets so frustrated with DS. The Xmas break is a major relfief to me as I dont have to deal with him fighting about going to school, coming home every afternoon aggitated and angry. Everything inside of me wants to protect him, sometimes I feel like I want to run away with him and hide from the world and just keep him all to myself (oh shiz I have started crying). I dont want him to feel the way he feels, he has been so down on himself, he thinks he is stupid, he thinks he is dumb and at 8 years old that scares the sh*t out of me Some of the best advice we have been given is to harness his strong points and use them to build his confidence. My baby may not be the smartest child in the classroom but man you should see him ride a BMX track, jump his bike into a foam pit, back flip into our pool - in my eyes he is the ducks guts!!
    Aaahh sorry bout the long post, but gosh it feels wonderful to get it off my chest. My advice to everyone would be to also have your child tested for Auditory Processing Disorder - a developmental audiologist will be able to do this. Very different to a standard hearing screen...
    Hi Lovelymum and welcome!!
    I got all teary reading your post. I hear you when you say you want to protect him from it all because that's how I feel too I'm so worried about when DD starts school in 2013.

It sounds like you have some really great strategies in place with the move n sit cushion and the BMX riding - sounds like he's a bit of a daredevil!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    School has been the hardest as if the teacher does not understand or see things through his eyes then basically you run the risk of your child being labelled a bad egg! We were very lucky that Jackson's prep teacher picked up there was a problem before school we really had no indication that he had SPD (although since his diagnosis a lot of things from birth all fell into place!). We ended up changing schools 4 months ago and that has really helped, what you really need to be looking for in a school is very small class sizes. Go in armed with as much information as you can for the teacher this will help also maybe get your DD to trial a move n sit cushion during your OT sessions and if you find it helps her purchase one not only for home but to use at school/kinder - there are a few websites around that sell sensory toys and have information on how they can help with certain things etc... Just put sensory toys into your google search engine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmmmmm DS is very very busy, but Im not sure whether to blame that on something more sinister than just toddler boy behaviour. He's always on the go exploring things. However, he sleeps well. He naps 3 hours a day and sleeps 10-12 hours at night and he does crash sometimes in front of the TV when he's been too hyped up and is exhausted.
    The pead reckons he's way too active, but at least he sleeps well to regain that energy....

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've got a new behaviour
    She's now banging her ears with her hands. The older kids who saw it tonight laughed at her when she did it in front of them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Off to the OT today to have a chat about this new behaviour. Fingers crossed she can help and give us a strategy.

She did say that when we challenge her to come out of that little sensory world she's in, she would probably develop new sensory behaviours.

I've had such little sleep worrying about her. I mean, is this what other kids will be like? At school, for instance? Will she be teased because of her quirkiness?
    I feel sick with worry.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    super hugs mamaC.

my lil boy will start yr 2 next yr, unfortunately he does get picked on. BUT not all of it is autism or sensory related..because kids try to find any excuse in the book to pick on others.

the best thing you can do is develop a close relationship with your childs school/teacher/aide if she requires one/ etc. the first yr of school was a living nightmare for us, but i blame his teacher partly for it, she was off with the fairies. this year we had a wonderful teacher and it made all the difference.

so my toddler almost killed himself today. he is 2 yrs 6 months, and still heavily reliant on his dummy. the meltdowns that occur if he doesnt have it, are very traumatic for all involved. i was in the process of trying to wean him off it the last 2 days, and in those 2 days, he has licked the most inappropriate things... dirty balls from outside, his blanket, a hair brush, and today... he pulled the plug that was plugged into an extension cord, and was about to lick the socket of the extension cord that was plugged in and turned on. oh my gosh i screamed "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" while running towards him and it frightened him enough to look up at me but then went to do it still. luckily i got to him in time... i had a near heart attack which brought on an asthma attack... so i guess he almost killed me too!

we just got told waitlist for OT is april... >_< we cant wait that long. i guess id rather him have the dummy for now than be trying to mouth a million disgusting and dangerous things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    :O Diamond that's awful!!! Bl00dy hell!
    I agree with you, let him have the dummy would he take a chew toy? I don't allow the dummy unless DD is in bed so I bought her a couple of baby chews to chew on when she feels she needs/wants the dummy. It worked really well for my daughter, maybe worth a try?

We are giving the therapeutic listening a go. We've hired it for 2 weeks to see if she responds to it and then we will have to buy it. So we are aiming to get 1 hour per day of Listening Time. Fingers crossed!

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Speechy said ot would have chew tubes n stuff to help maybe? ill def try chew toys, but am worried given his age he might confuse all toys with it.

Good luck with the listening, how much to hire it if u dont mind me asking?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast