+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well we just got back from our first appt with the new OT and she was great
    We now have a great plan --> back to the brushing every 2 hours (hourly first thing in the morning) plus something from the sensory diet --> stomping, running, trampoline, swinging, etc.
    And we will eventually transition to therapeutic listening. Has anyone tried the therapeutic listening? Did you see any results?

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    awesome news mamaC, thats what we do too!

theraputic listening..is that with the headphones that plays different frequencies? we couldnt afford to do that unfortunately, we dont get funding and its just out of our price range, but he uses it while he is there. i dont notice a huge difference with him with it.

speechy told me that a few people in her field bought the set to use to help calm the kids they see. and said from what they have found with it. is that it works while they are listening to it, and does nothing long term. when the head phones come off there is no significant change.

unlike the brushing which does have a long term affect.

so with that information, that is something we are not prepared to do at this time.

so glad things went well, and that your feeling more positive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have been on the waitinglist to see an OT for well over 6 months and still haven't heard anything. Yet in March DS will start with Early Intervention.
    He loves to screech and I have had quite a few angry people at the shops telling me Im a louzy parent who cant control her kid
    DS is orally obsessed with everything. He licks and chews literately anything and everything within reach. Even licks the pushbar on a shopping trolley if I turn my back for 1 second. No wonder he keeps getting sick
    Im not sure if its an obsession or if it has become a habit or if its a sensory problem. Again, we're still waiting to see an OT to tell us why he licks and chews everything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondEyes View Post
    awesome news mamaC, thats what we do too!

theraputic listening..is that with the headphones that plays different frequencies? we couldnt afford to do that unfortunately, we dont get funding and its just out of our price range, but he uses it while he is there. i dont notice a huge difference with him with it.

speechy told me that a few people in her field bought the set to use to help calm the kids they see. and said from what they have found with it. is that it works while they are listening to it, and does nothing long term. when the head phones come off there is no significant change.

unlike the brushing which does have a long term affect.

so with that information, that is something we are not prepared to do at this time.

so glad things went well, and that your feeling more positive.
    Hi DE! Well its a week on from restarting the brushing and I feel like we are seeing good results. She's rocking less, which means she less sensory defensive and she's also enjoying all of the different 'heavy' activities we are encouraging her to do. In particular, my DH has been playing really loud music in the morning before daycare and both girls jump, dance and stomp around like crazy, which must be giving her a nice dose of endorphins before she gets overly stimulated outside the home

I found it so interesting when the OT said that her nervous system probably isn't 'resetting' itself over night, so she's probably been starting a lot of her days already feeling overstimulated/sensory defensive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    We have been on the waitinglist to see an OT for well over 6 months and still haven't heard anything. Yet in March DS will start with Early Intervention.
    He loves to screech and I have had quite a few angry people at the shops telling me Im a louzy parent who cant control her kid
    DS is orally obsessed with everything. He licks and chews literately anything and everything within reach. Even licks the pushbar on a shopping trolley if I turn my back for 1 second. No wonder he keeps getting sick
    Im not sure if its an obsession or if it has become a habit or if its a sensory problem. Again, we're still waiting to see an OT to tell us why he licks and chews everything.
    Hi misschief!
    my daughter did the same thing. She once licked the bottom of her sisters shoe after that shoe had just been walking on the toilet floor in maccas!!

Other ppls judgements can be so hard to deal with

We are also on the waiting list for some OT through the public system, but the behaviours were getting too many and too intense to wait almost a year! We have chosen to pay for it privately so far and OT has been ~$95ish a go. We are also signing up for PHI to help cover some if the cost.

Is there any way you can see a private one? It might be worthwhile to have a few sessions and get something into place before march? You can also take your son to his GP and ask him/her to set up a mental health plan and put it under Anxiety. OT can be covered for 10sessions if you can find one with a provider number.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaC View Post

Is there any way you can see a private one? It might be worthwhile to have a few sessions and get something into place before march? You can also take your son to his GP and ask him/her to set up a mental health plan and put it under Anxiety. OT can be covered for 10sessions if you can find one with a provider number.
    PHI wont work as they wont cover a lot of pre-existing conditions, if you find one that does, please let me know. Im keen to join up in that case. I've been thinking about it for a while anyway. Its just me and DS and to prevent a high loading, I'd better join up soon as Im already 32.

I will talk to his GP about it next time I see him. As a sole parent, I only have a tiny income and cant afford private sessions, but that mental health plan might be an idea. However, there will still be a waiting list.
    I know a lady who has a son same age as mine who lives in Melbourne. She has to wait at least a year before she can even get an assessment done with Early Intervention. In that case I've been lucky as we have been going there since DS was 10 months old and we didn't have to wait at all.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    yeah my ds#2 is on a waiting list for the private OT my ds#1 sees...we cant get in till the end of march IF we are lucky.. annoying as i need the assessment for the official diagnosis so we can get funding!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondEyes View Post
    annoying as i need the assessment for the official diagnosis so we can get funding!
    Ditto!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, waiting lists are hard. We have had to wait a while to get in to see the OT's we've seen.
    Fingers crossed you both get in sooner than march! Surely there must be cancellations!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MamaC For This Useful Post:

Misschief  (09-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaC View Post
    Surely there must be cancellations!
    I hope so, but sincerely doubt it after talking to the Early Intervention Center yesterday. The only way a spot comes available is if someone moves away from this town....