+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    we just let him rock. and jump and bounce, we let him do what he needs (except for putting his mouth on things that are gross) to calm himself, i kind of feel ok about his rocking to make himself feel better, than him just freaking the heck out and not knowing how to calm himself.

our OT said that this stuff will never go away, we just have to find a way to make it manageable for him. so before we go out shopping (and before school)

he bounces on a fit ball for around 10/15 mins before we go. we also have crunchy/chewy snacks we bring with us, the chewing helps strengthen his jaw muscle (he cant chew meat) and also helps calm him. so like apple pieces.. or desperate times, like a curly whirl as its got chewy caramel in it. if it gets too much, ill take him to the bathroom in a stall and he will jump, then we do deep muscle massage, or very very tight hugs, then he goes on the tramp or the fit ball again when he gets home, we also do wheel barrow walking, and wrestling with his dad really helps too, because his body craves tight pressure

he will wear sunglasses inside, but he is at an age now where he knows not everyone does that, so he gets upset about little things like that.

we are about to undergo an intense deep muscle therapy in the school holidays..i'm feeling nervous and anxious about it but its gonna help.

for 2 weeks solid, every 2 hours, i need to do deep massage with what looks like a surgical brush over his entire body. its going to be insane!! every two hours! but the benefits will outweigh this time in our life. it really helps the nervous system readjust itself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Diamond, I feel a bit the same now about the rocking. I used to try to stop it but that just made it worse. The only thing I say now is to stop rocking too hard - she hits her head SO hard if we let her go for it.

We use the brushing too. Every two hrs when we first started annd now whenever we remember to or if she needs it. Don't worry Diamond you'll fly through it

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 5 year old was diagnosed with sensory disorder when she was 2 my son also has it but he is also on the Autism spectrum

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    My 5 year old was diagnosed with sensory disorder when she was 2 my son also has it but he is also on the Autism spectrum
    Hi lovmyfam!
    Welcome to the chat thread!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MamaC For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (28-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi MamaC

We are getting closer to an appointment, at the moment i am jumping through the Department of Child and Adolescent Health Service hoops, i'm just about to send in the third pre assessment questionnaire, they are all the same i just love writing the same thing over and over again its starting to really annoy me.

DS is no better maybe even worse so i hope his appointment is soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BekahRose View Post
    Hi MamaC

We are getting closer to an appointment, at the moment i am jumping through the Department of Child and Adolescent Health Service hoops, i'm just about to send in the third pre assessment questionnaire, they are all the same i just love writing the same thing over and over again its starting to really annoy me.

DS is no better maybe even worse so i hope his appointment is soon
    Hi Bekah the never ending waiting for appointments is so frustrating! We had our paed appt at the beginning of this month (we waited 3 months for it!) and have had to wait another month to get into OT
    And the paed said the behaviours often get worse before they start to improve when you first start to challenge them.
    you will get there in the end!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MamaC For This Useful Post:

BekahRose  (27-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    we are still n the pre assesment phase so not even assessed yet after i submit this last form they will send me a list of services and waiting times. i'm just thinking he has SPD its like a gut instict or something, but the last few days have been hell he just will not listen and even if he looks like he's listening hes not cos he still goes back and does the same thing.

Basic Events:

ds come away from the fountain
    no response
    ds please come away from the water fountain (louder)
    no response
    ds please take your hands out of the fountain (while removing him from the area calmly)
    Hysterical screaming and thrashing causing major damage and disruption he cryes and throws himself around for about 5 mintues.

he is a very smart little boy with excellent speech and imagination i just dont know why he is soo inattentive and disruptive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BekahRose View Post
    we are still n the pre assesment phase so not even assessed yet after i submit this last form they will send me a list of services and waiting times. i'm just thinking he has SPD its like a gut instict or something, but the last few days have been hell he just will not listen and even if he looks like he's listening hes not cos he still goes back and does the same thing.

Basic Events:

ds come away from the fountain
    no response
    ds please come away from the water fountain (louder)
    no response
    ds please take your hands out of the fountain (while removing him from the area calmly)
    Hysterical screaming and thrashing causing major damage and disruption he cryes and throws himself around for about 5 mintues.

he is a very smart little boy with excellent speech and imagination i just dont know why he is soo inattentive and disruptive.
    the total lack of listening can be SO frustrating!! My DD just doesn't hear me sometimes, and while I know she physically can't hear me, its still incredibly frustrating.

We have our first appt with the new OT on Monday and i feel so dubious about what they are going to be able to do for her. What I've seen of OT so far seems quite airy fairy and while I want to be super positive its hard to really understand how their therapy works, iykwim?

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Do u do OT activities at home mamaC?

My therapist showed me a pic of a brain with sensory issues and one without, the one with, the parts that process it all were enlarged, way more blood vessels and quite over active... So when we started OT, i kept thinking, how is jumping on a fit ball going to help a physical difference in the brain! but things like gravitational pressure from jumping n stuff, does affect the brain, and the way the blood flows.

Then i read that to become an OT, to get into uni to do it, u need almost just as high UAI scores as u do to become a gp! So i hafto trust these people know what they are on about.

Just give it time, and try to impliment as much as u can into your daily life. Xox

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks DiamondEyes I think I just need to keep,hearing the positivity from others in a similar situation
    We were sent home with brushing and that's about it, I'm hoping that the Monday appt will be more informative. Oh, the OT also recommended bouncing/jumping for DD and I bought a trampoline, but she's not interested in that particular movement. She wants to rock, so we allow that.
    Fingers crossed for Monday!