+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Smile Sensory Processing Disorder - Hello :)

Hi there

We have had a recent diagnosis of Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) with our youngest girl - 3 years old and I was wondering, is there anyone else out there?
    It is my understanding, from our Paed. that Autism and SPD can be separate diagnosis, but Autism is often characterised by SPD.

I am personally wanting to find others with children who have the singular diagnosis of SPD and I am hoping to start a support thread

So, hi! I'm MamaC and my youngest child has SPD Let's chat!
    Last edited by MamaC; 15-11-2011 at 00:17. Reason: Spelling!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi MamaC
    I'm Bek and i suspect my almost 3 year old son has SPD.

i have just finished reading the out of sync child and we are waiting for an appointment with a pead, if you dont mind a have a heap of questions but i'll save them for later, i'll just say hi for now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi bek! How long is the wait for your appt? We waited 3 months. As for questions ask away that's why I thought I'd start this thread. And what was the book you mentioned? Sounds interesting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bumpity bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    i have a long list of books that i have found.
    the first one i have read so far is
    The Out-of-Sync Child - Carol Stock Kranowitz
    and i have just picked 5 up from the library:
    Quirky Kids - Perri Klass and Eileen Costello
    The Explosive Child - Ross W. Greene
    Children Behaving Badly - Alan Train
    Problem Child or Quirky Kid? - Rita Sommers-Flanagan & John Sommers-Flanagan
    Kids! Indigo Children & Cheeky Monkeys - Scott Alexander King & Dr. Ralph Ballard

all these books are available from the wa public library system however i dont know how many copies are in circulation and these ones i have arent due back until early december.

our appointment still hasn't ever been advised by the Community Health Centre that we go to for other issues and the MCHN just sent and extra referral for the SPD to the pead on duty and occupational therapist. our other appointment (feet) will be in january or february so when i phone for that i plan on asking about the referral and try to get the appointments on the same day.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BekahRose For This Useful Post:

MamaC  (26-11-2011)

bambino is offline Autistic Today, My Genius Tomorrow
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My 5 year old DS has Autism and SPD along with other things.

His SPD can influence things like getting dressed (hates the feeling of clothes going on and off his body), noisy and over crowded shopping centres, bright lights, touching different things, he also has oral SPD (he seeks things to chew on like a teething baby).

His OT is helping with him on this and she's doing such a great job.

Hopefully you're wait won't be too much longer

DaughteroftheForest is offline Sometimes you have to forget what you want in order to remember what you deserve
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My 6 year old DS has a singular diagnosis of SPD

He's mostly a sensory seeker, he constantly moves and makes sounds, always on the go. He snacks constantly because he enjoys the feel of food in his mouth (awesome for his teeth ). oud noises and bright lights are triggers for him, supermarkets are the worst, plus having a toddler who likes to screech has been fun!
    Last edited by DaughteroftheForest; 16-11-2011 at 09:22.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    hi my ds#1 aged 7 has SPD (also has autism, were u specifically looking for just SPD?)

otherwise i am happy to chat.

my ds does 2 session of occupational therapy a week at school and then we see a private OT once a fortnight.

Xand has an Aversion to loud noises, bright lights, and food. also has sensory seeking for movement (he bounces and jumps and rocks) and chews on his fingers, clothes..tries to put his mouth on things when we are out shopping as the lights are too bright and the noise is too much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I haven't got time to chat today, it princess day (dd1 prom) but I will be back tomorrow to chat about my lot.

Off to do hair, makeup and photo's etc.........

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so sorry all! I've just found your replies! I've been Hubbing on my phone lately and none of these replies showed up? Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by BekahRose View Post
    i have a long list of books that i have found.
    the first one i have read so far is
    The Out-of-Sync Child - Carol Stock Kranowitz
    and i have just picked 5 up from the library:
    Quirky Kids - Perri Klass and Eileen Costello
    The Explosive Child - Ross W. Greene
    Children Behaving Badly - Alan Train
    Problem Child or Quirky Kid? - Rita Sommers-Flanagan & John Sommers-Flanagan
    Kids! Indigo Children & Cheeky Monkeys - Scott Alexander King & Dr. Ralph Ballard

all these books are available from the wa public library system however i dont know how many copies are in circulation and these ones i have arent due back until early december.

our appointment still hasn't ever been advised by the Community Health Centre that we go to for other issues and the MCHN just sent and extra referral for the SPD to the pead on duty and occupational therapist. our other appointment (feet) will be in january or february so when i phone for that i plan on asking about the referral and try to get the appointments on the same day.
    Wow, thanks for the info on those books! I'll see if my mum can order them for me
    How have you gone with getting the appt Bekah?

Quote Originally Posted by bambino View Post
    My 5 year old DS has Autism and SPD along with other things.

His SPD can influence things like getting dressed (hates the feeling of clothes going on and off his body), noisy and over crowded shopping centres, bright lights, touching different things, he also has oral SPD (he seeks things to chew on like a teething baby).

His OT is helping with him on this and she's doing such a great job.

Hopefully you're wait won't be too much longer
    Hi Bambino!
    My daughter is also sensitive to noise and light. Our paed described the noise sensitivity as something that would maybe annoy us (eg: a lawnmower) is like her standing next to a jet engine. She also has clothes issues, but they're minor at this point. But she has major shoes&socks issues. I usually have to allow her to choose what shoes are going to feel less painful today and what shoes were comfy yesterday are painful today.
    The oral sensory seeking has settled down a little bit of late, which is great. I bought her a couple of "chew" toys, which seemed to help
    Bambino, what sorts of things is the OT doing with your little one?

Quote Originally Posted by DaughteroftheForest View Post
    My 6 year old DS has a singular diagnosis of SPD

He's mostly a sensory seeker, he constantly moves and makes sounds, always on the go. He snacks constantly because he enjoys the feel of food in his mouth (awesome for his teeth ). oud noises and bright lights are triggers for him, supermarkets are the worst, plus having a toddler who likes to screech has been fun!
    Hi DaughteroftheForest!
    My daughter tends to graze as well. She can get into a "I'm hungry" loop where she'll constantly say it, but then will only have a nibble on whatever is presented. Is your son in OT? How's his speech? I think my DD needs some speech therapy, but OT and daycare has really helped with her speech lately. She's talking A LOT more, but most of it remains fairly unclear.

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondEyes View Post
    hi my ds#1 aged 7 has SPD (also has autism, were u specifically looking for just SPD?)

otherwise i am happy to chat.

my ds does 2 session of occupational therapy a week at school and then we see a private OT once a fortnight.

Xand has an Aversion to loud noises, bright lights, and food. also has sensory seeking for movement (he bounces and jumps and rocks) and chews on his fingers, clothes..tries to put his mouth on things when we are out shopping as the lights are too bright and the noise is too much.
    Hi DiamondEyes!
    How do you deal with the rocking? My DD rocks, especially when stressed or anxious and the Paed has told us to allow the rocking right now until we can decrease her stress. What do you do?
    I bought a trampoline for the girls in the hope it would help DD's need to rock, but it's a completely different sensory feeling if that makes sense?
    As for bright lights, DD is happy to wear sunglasses inside at the shops would that make a difference to your son?

Quote Originally Posted by loving6 View Post
    I haven't got time to chat today, it princess day (dd1 prom) but I will be back tomorrow to chat about my lot.

Off to do hair, makeup and photo's etc.........
    Hi Loving6!
    How did the prom go? Has everything settled down now? I hope your daughter had fun!

Anyway, thank you everyone for responding
    We're currently waiting for our first appt with a new OT, 5th December. I really hope they can help us.