+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Distance education Nursing/Midwifery

Hi all,
    Im a SAHM of 3 under 4 years of age. Im from regional VIC and have been accepted into CDU external bachelor of Nursing for 2012 and am being considered for the bachelor of Midwifery.
    Anyone else joining me or have also applied to CDU?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I completed one semester of a bachelor of midewiffery back in 09. I have a 7month old bub atm but when he's older I'm sure I'll go back! It wasn't distance education though, I went to uni 4 days a week.

It's tough but soooo interesting and I bet it will all be worth it at the end of 3 years. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ohh I have 3 children 4 and under and I would like to study midwifery distance education too. I would love to hear how you go.

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have done that degree. Join the CDU nursing students group on facebook.

There is many more opportunities for nurses than for those with a midwifery degree. If your passion is midwifery, do it post grad. Many employers want midwifes who are nurses too. Not all, but lots. I assume the mid degree you are looking at is Uni SA? My girlfriend is studying that so I can answer some questions for you if you like.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ohh thanks for getting back to me. I am starting from complete scratch as I haven't studied at all. I am from QLD and I have no idea where to start. I have 3 young children and I would like to study either part time or distance Ed as i live an hour from the closest uni. I just want to do the midwifery degree and not the nurse aswell.

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumma2threecherubs View Post
    Ohh thanks for getting back to me. I am starting from complete scratch as I haven't studied at all. I am from QLD and I have no idea where to start. I have 3 young children and I would like to study either part time or distance Ed as i live an hour from the closest uni. I just want to do the midwifery degree and not the nurse aswell.
    Just know that positions for grad midwifes are very limited, even more so outside of city areas. The two hospitals with midwifery departments near my home do not hire midwifes that are not also RN's. It is something to consider. I have a family member who just graduated Bmid, and of her group of 8 close friends at uni, she was the only one offered a graduate position....and already working at the hospital was a big reason for that offer. I am not trying to put you off Bmid, just pointing out that it can be extremely limiting for jobs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Its also good to get RN first as if you find mid hours too challenging around kiddies, you can always get a cushy job in a gp office giving vax or as a community nurse. And it only takes an extra yr of study to have both degrees. Something to consider.

Im studing RN but the goal is to be a middie eventually

Middies have a very autonomous role and are responsible for 2 lives, nooooo way would i attempt middie without having at least a few years of clinical experience!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for the advice. I am also interested in working in the emergency section as a nurse. Is that all in with becoming a RN or extra study? also interested in becoming a Neonatal nurse. Does this all start from studying to become a nurse and then doing extra years for the specific nurse you want to become? Sorry if I sound all over the place, I'm still deciding. And I have no idea how it all works!