Poll: Have you, or someone you know ever experienced:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    inkognito is offline Moving on is simple, its what you leave behind which makes it hard
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I suffered both AND and PND with both of my pregnancies, and I have also suffered with depression and anxiety my entire adult life and more recently been diagnosed with Seasonal Affective Disorder.

It saddens me how many people I talk to say they "thought" they might have had AND/PND but never spoke up because of the stigma attached to mental illness.

I believe the best thing that someone who thinks they might be struggling is to speak up, because you are not alone and there is nothing wrong with admitting you need help

Thankyou BubHub for recognising Postnatal depression awareness week, I hope that one day the stigma can be removed forever and all suffers feel they can ask for help

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to inkognito For This Useful Post:

BH-community  (28-11-2011),CallaLilly  (28-11-2011),MuminMind  (30-11-2011)

MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by boomits4 View Post
    I had PND after the birth of #1. I talked to a phycologist when he was 6 weeks old and suspected it... she told me I wasnt depressed - i was just over tired. It took me 18 months and holding him over a balcony to go to another doctor - thank goodness something 'clicked' in my when i was holding him over the balcony and I went to the doctor and got put on medication. Hes now 6 and the most amazing child <3 I have had 2 children since him, and no PND - pregnant with #4 now, and hoping to not get it again!
    I am so sorry to hear that your psychologist did not recognise your depression and despair, and that it took something so drastic as the balcony incident for you to really be taken seriously! It must have been a terrifying and lonely place. Wonderful to hear that you have since have had two more children without suffering from pnd. All the best with your fourth child!

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkzy View Post
    Antenatal Depression and Severe PND in 2002 when I had my daughter. Was hospitalised for months and died twice in the ICU as a result of my suicide attempt. Everyone was surprised I survived. My ex took my then 5 month old baby and DOCS agreed this was for the best. It was Hell on earth.

No Depression whatsoever before or after the birth of my son last year - obviously, the circumstances are very different.

This is a subject I feel very strongly about. If you feel you're suffering Antenatal Depression or PND, please talk to someone you trust and see your doctor without delay.
    Wow. Wow. Thank you so, so much for sharing. It takes someone amazing to put forward such a sensitive story for everyone else to see! I really hope that your story brings hope to women out there who are on the verge of self harm, It is possible to overcome this condition. I have followed your posts since becoming a member, and you are such a sensitive, compassionate, strong and independent person. What an inspiration.you are. Again, thanks for sharing.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MuminMind For This Useful Post:

CallaLilly  (28-11-2011),Danic88  (26-11-2011),Pinkzy  (21-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Reading these posts make me feel so much better about my illness. At the age of 11 years my mum committed suicide after a long and horrendous road of depression and alcoholism. As a child I experienced a lot of things a child should never have to experience but now I look back and think how it has made me the strong and sensitive person I am- and I am thankful.
    After being brought to Australia by my dad (with my siblings) to start a new life, I will never forget one day crying for no reason and asking my dad to help me find some professional help. His reply was that I didn't need help and I was being stupid. From this day on, I truely believed this. So I never sought help and everytime I cried, I thought to myself "I am being stupid".
    It wasn't until 7 years on when I had my son, I experienced severe baby blues and PND that I realised I had been depressed all along. After self medicating with alcohol (much like my mum did), getting plastered every night, crying myself to sleep, locking myself the the toilet and trying to figure out how I could kill myself without the guilt of leaving my child behind and putting my partner through psychological hell- that I realised I needed help and quick.
    I saw a doctor, was medicated and attended a 6 week PND counselling group and then was left on my own to sort it out. I remember after finishing this PND group feeling so lonely and lost again. 6 weeks just didn't cut it but I felt stupid asking for help again.
    A further 2/3 years of struggle and confusion, drinking, sleeping around (seeking love and acceptance) and suicidal thoughts made me realise enough is enough and medication alone is not going to cure this illness. So I finally met a great psychologist and had felt better than I ever felt before. My partner and I got back together, are doing better than ever and we are now expecting our second child.
    I like to have reasonable expectations and therefore, do not believe I will ever be fully cured of this illness. I still have tough times and suicidal thought to which I know I could never follow through with because of my child. However, I do believe it is managable and I am stronger now than I have ever been in kicking its butt!
    It is so good to know I am far from the only one and that there is other types of help out there. Thankyou for much for this forum!

P.s. Sorry for my novel!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Danic88 For This Useful Post:

BH-community  (28-11-2011),CallaLilly  (28-11-2011),MuminMind  (30-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou to everyone who shared their stories here. If you haven't already done so, we have a private password-protected discussion area on the forum for people who have had/currently have PND and AND. If you message our wonderful Ambassador MuminMind she will let you know the password. There is a great deal of love and support waiting there for you

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BH-community For This Useful Post:

inkognito  (29-11-2011),MuminMind  (28-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootabelle View Post
    Thank you for posting about your depression! I have battled it most of my life and am medicated.
    From what you wrote it made me feel like I wasn't alone. Thank you xx

I still have my off days but there are more good days now than bad.
    It's great to have such an awesome support network on here

I am genuinely happy for you; with you appreciating the good than the bad and appreciating your every progress. I was depressed myself, but now finally living a happy life. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is a private discussion are on the forum for people who have suffered from or currently are suffering from PND (Including postnatal Psychosis) and AND. I encourage you to join our growing family.