Poll: Have you, or someone you know ever experienced:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Postnatal Depression Awareness Week 2011 Poll

This week is Postnatal Depression Awareness Week, and we working to raise awareness of the types of depression that can affect mums and dads. Every day this week in the General Depression and Blues forum as well as on my blog we are posting information about a different type of depression as well as further resources and support information. We will be covering:

Monday - The Baby Blues
    Tuesday - Postnatal Depression Part 1 and Postnatal Depression Part 2
    Wednesday - Antenatal Depression
    Thursday - Postpartum Psychosis
    Friday - Depression in Dads

Have you, or someone you know been affected by depression during pregnancy or as a parent?
    Last edited by BH-community; 16-11-2011 at 12:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've had PND, and the more people I talk to about it the more I realise how common it is. Unfortunately most of us initially are quite embarrassed about it so fail to seek help or talk about it.

Please feel free to PM me if you want to chat about anything or ask any questions about PND and my journey. It was a wonderful hubber who PMed me when I was feeling really low, and helped me see that I needed help.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RastaMouse For This Useful Post:

BH-community  (14-11-2011),CallaLilly  (15-11-2011),inkognito  (21-11-2011),MuminMind  (14-11-2011),Pearl Barley  (15-11-2011)

MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I bet people are really tired of me banging on about this, but I will stop at nothing! If talking about this confronting topic inspire more women and men to seek help; then it has all been worth it.

I can tick almost all the above options, but I am well on my road to recovery. It is possible, and it doesn't have to be a lonely experience.

Quote Originally Posted by SalsaMama View Post
    I've had PND, and the more people I talk to about it the more I realise how common it is. Unfortunately most of us initially are quite embarrassed about it so fail to seek help or talk about it.

Come join us in talking about it!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MuminMind For This Useful Post:

CallaLilly  (15-11-2011)

CallaLilly is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011 - Funniest Member Award
    Donnybrook, WA (aka the middle of nowhere)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    (My first ever post!) I did tick all of the above, for myself. I've battled major depression since I was 10 and thought I was prepared for the probability of PND- but what I wasn't prepared for was the onslaught of suicidal thoughts that I thought I'd conquered in my teens. This is an area that is often only alluded to as "extreme cases" but it's not- it's just not talked about for fear of rejection. Thoughts of harm or worse to self need to be exposed as a real part of some women's struggle and not treated as a (false) negative reflection of the person's attitude toward their child or children.

For me this is ongoing and it's the attitude of others like yourself that helps the most;

"I'm not alone, I'm not a freak, I'm not a bad mother, I can and will survive this."
    Anyone got a megaphone?

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CallaLilly For This Useful Post:

BH-community  (16-11-2011),Danic88  (26-11-2011),Gothel  (16-11-2011),inkognito  (21-11-2011),RastaMouse  (16-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for posting about your depression! I have battled it most of my life and am medicated.
    From what you wrote it made me feel like I wasn't alone. Thank you xx

I still have my off days but there are more good days now than bad.
    It's great to have such an awesome support network on here

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kriista For This Useful Post:

BH-community  (16-11-2011),MuminMind  (30-11-2011)

MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CallaLilly View Post
    (My first ever post!) I did tick all of the above, for myself. I've battled major depression since I was 10 and thought I was prepared for the probability of PND- but what I wasn't prepared for was the onslaught of suicidal thoughts that I thought I'd conquered in my teens. This is an area that is often only alluded to as "extreme cases" but it's not- it's just not talked about for fear of rejection. Thoughts of harm or worse to self need to be exposed as a real part of some women's struggle and not treated as a (false) negative reflection of the person's attitude toward their child or children.

For me this is ongoing and it's the attitude of others like yourself that helps the most;

"I'm not alone, I'm not a freak, I'm not a bad mother, I can and will survive this."
    Anyone got a megaphone?
    Welcome to the forum, CallaLilly, and thank you so much for your wise input.

There is a private discussion are on the forum for people who have suffered from or currently are suffering from PND (Including postnatal Psychosis) and AND. I encourage you to join our growing family.

Check out this thread!
    http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...-Support-Group

If you are interested I'll PM you the password for access!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MuminMind For This Useful Post:

BH-community  (16-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That would be great, thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey CallaLilly

I totally agree with you that a lot of people wiht PND have suicidal thoughts but don't really talk about it for fear of judgement. It sounds like you've had a tough journey but are a fighter of a woman.

As MuminMind said, you're welcome to come into the AND/PND discussion area.

Btw... the bakery at Donnybrook does great sausage rolls

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RastaMouse For This Useful Post:

BH-community  (16-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    LOL! How random! But yeah they do. And donuts. Too many donuts...
    Both our boys had colic and it would get to the point where the only thing that would settle them would be to put them in the pram and walk and walk into the wee hours. And the bakery opens at 1am..

Hmm for some reason I can't seem to log into the site- I have the password and my husband deactivated the cookies, so I don't know what's happening. I've said it before and I'll say it again; technology hates me.

BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CallaLilly View Post
    Hmm for some reason I can't seem to log into the site- I have the password and my husband deactivated the cookies, so I don't know what's happening. I've said it before and I'll say it again; technology hates me.
    I contacted a mod last night, but have not heard anything.So you received the password in a pm from a moderator? You are sure that you are in the right area, and that your CAPS LOCK is not on?