+ Reply to Thread

Question Baby cant breathe when crying !!!

My DS is now 6 months old but since he was 4 weeks old he has had instances where he has cried to the point of not being able to breathe. It usually occurs when he is tired. It is not a BHS as he doesnt hold his breath, he literally cannot get a breathe from being so worked up. It gets to the point where he starts to go blue from the feet up through his legs and the rest of his body. Its very frightening for the family and also him. We hold him close and pat his back and comfort him to try and calm him down but it takes quite a while to bring his breathing back to normal. Afterwards he goes limp and is very tired and tends to go to sleep for a little while.

I am going to take him to the Dr about it as he did this in his car seat about a month ago and then again today when he was put into his cot for a sleep. I thought he was growing out of it but it doesn't seem so.

Has anyone else experienced this?? and if so, what did you do to try and restore calm as quickly as possible to prevent baby going blue? As I said before, he is not holding his breathe, he physically cannot get his breathe due to being so worked up.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated as I am quite concerned.

I remember reading somewhere if baby turns blue when crying to take them to emergency department even if they have calmed down and breathing is back to normal. I would call your hospital and speak to a triage nurse for advice.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to relle For This Useful Post:

dadad  (10-05-2012)

I would think that that sort of crying would be something he would grow out of. You are doing the right thing by seeing a doctor or even a paed. Good luck.