+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Advice on Primary Schools in Brisbane

Can anyone recommend some good primary schools in Brisbane? It looks like my husband will be taking a job up there and I'm trying to get an idea of where to start looking for a home so that we are near good schools, young families and great parks. We currently have a great house in the south of Adelaide, but the schools around us are very average and so we chose to enrol the kids further away (and for more money) than we really wanted. I don't want to find ourselves in the same position this time.

Ideally we would like to send our children (2 boys, one currently almost 4 years and the other only 7 days old) to a reputable public school or a mid-tier private school (not catholic or Anglican). Somewhere in a suburb near train or ferry and no more than 15km from the CBD. Our budget is probably $700k to $900k.

We have spent some time in Brisbane before so are familiar with some of the suburbs(particularly in the south and west) but know very little about the north.

Any advice would be appreciated (even if you could just tell me where to avoid like the plague).

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    wow Brisbane is a very broad area haha can't really help unless I know more specific areas

on train line towards th city on north side is Bowen hills, Albion, Windsor, wilston, enoggera, Newmarket

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EmPowering View Post
    wow Brisbane is a very broad area haha can't really help unless I know more specific areas

on train line towards th city on north side is Bowen hills, Albion, Windsor, wilston, enoggera, Newmarket
    Yeah, then you go south side of the river... Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Apparently Ironside state school is the "best ever" at st lucia. It's super hard to get into and u have to live in the catchment.

The only non-denominational private schools I know are crazy expensive like John Paul college. But someone might have more idea on that for you.

If u want info on the south side I can probably help but not really if its the north side.
    Last edited by Eleven Eleven; 09-11-2011 at 20:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I can help a bit
    more for north side but yeah most private schools are catholic or Anglican

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bulimba State School is very good - but also incredibly popular. Gotta be in the catchment. Bulimba/balmoral's also close to 3 city cat terminals as well. It's also got the Stephenie Alexander Kitchen Garden program running. It's very cool. Very easy to get to the city from there. Also close to the airport

Sheldon College and Ormiston College are the private non denominational schools on on the South East Side - BUT they're about 30-40mins drive away from the city. There's train station nearby to Ormiston. Sheldon's more out of the way.

Interesting moving from Adelaide to Brissie... we may be just about to move the other way.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Ormiston college or Sheldon college

Hello, I really need some truthful opinions on Ormiston college or Sheldon College. Would you place your child in either or? If your answer is 'no', why not? Thanks in advance.