+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    daughter is 3, and I have been studying via OUA since she was a baby. We all know the pp ends at 8 years of age - and honestly, as a single parent we all have a responsibility to be both mother and breadwinner... don't we know that too? The government see those 8 years as ample time to get a degree, or find a job with hours a mother can handle. Commonwealth supported places mean you don't actually pay for the degree until you are earning over a certain amount - even then the amount you pay each year is nothing to stress about.

I am 26 and plan on always being a good mother to my daughter, even if I do have to spend her naps and late nights studying and starting full time work once she goes to school. Single mothers shouldn't expect to be 'looked after' by the government until their children turn 18. That is just my opinion though I know many other single mums would disagree! I personally don't like living on the pension and can't stand the thought of doing it for 8 years, I think I would feel the same if the government were exchanged for a man and I was a happily married woman, I'm an independent person with my own goals. Again I understand some women DO want to dedicate themselves entirely to their children, but when we are single there are sacrifices that come with it whether we like it or not. There is no one to fall back on, not even the government.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to anikasmummy For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (19-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    here here!!!! well said! that's exactly how I feel.

I know everybodies situation is different and everybody is in a different head space depending on what has happened to them etc etc.. but at the end of the day it's not just about getting government to support you while you wait for your child to turn 8 and then attempt to look for work (by which time you will be near unemployable or only for low-end-low-paying jobs), working/studying gives you some pride in yourself and your children something to look up to. I know personally - my mother was a single mum having got divorced when I was 13 - and I watched her study (and my father as well).. all of them came late to study when they were older - both parents now have their masters and my mother went from having next to nothing when she split from my father to buying her first home (literally a shack) doing it up, studying, working and selling for a huge profit eventually.. buying a new home with in a great area, becoming a director of open learning and now is comfortably retired. She is my role-model. If I saw her just sit on her bum and rely on the system tbh I would probably be doing the same now. You need to work very hard to get anywhere in life, nobody is going to offer it to you on a platter. Yep it's hard, near impossible sometimes but you have to keep at it, for your kids sake, skill yourself up, aim for the top job and the best possible life for your kids. Hats off to all the single mum's studying and working - we do it tough but we know it's worth it in the long run

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm so confused as to how they decided 8 was when everything got cheaper?! As far as I can see, everything is getting more expensive, harder & more out of reach for most people - partnered or otherwise. I take my hat off to you guys doing it solo - my DP & I struggle & there's two of us, plus we don't even have a kid yet! If I didn't have him, I'd be living with my folks - they even feed us a few nights a week as he's not working at the moment.

Sorry this is so hard for you guys.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What decides if you get it until what age? Many of the policies don't make sense here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Nova I dont know you, Im not single, this thread caught my eye as I have had some exerience with "the system", but all I have to say is OMG you made me so proud. You didnt have to explain yourself one bit but unless you live on the bottom line or have done so in the past some people just dont get it.

The system has its own way of thinking, thought up by those who dont need to worry about money and it/they dont understand the consequence of not having any to spare or make ends meet.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

share a book  (19-12-2011)

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm so pis$ed off for you Ana that they are making life so difficult for you,especially as you are showing huge committment to finishing your studies. I sincerely hope you manage to get there, and get a kick **** job out of it, despite the unfair financial stress being placed on you.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

Benji  (19-12-2011)