+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I am NOT a SP, but I feel the system is cruel and punishes those it puports to support

*IF* a SP wants to better themselves, they have little choice but to begger themselves

I have watched the pain my sis went through to try to finish her degree, and the hoops CL made her jump through, so in the end she chucked it in. She had to take some dead end jobs until she finally lucked to get a reasonable job - but she knows she'll never work in the field she wants to work in as she can't afford to work and study and raise two kids

Effectively a SP must take what ever job they can, hope to hell it allows them to juggle their kids, hope they can get holidays during the EOY when there is NO holiday program OR they begger themselves to study so they can get a good paying job in a field they'd actually like to work in

All SP's have my utmost respect and support - it's a unenviable hard gig - and I really don't know how I'd manage if I became a SP

The sad truth is that about 1/3 of married/partners will end up being SP's

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

brydz  (18-11-2011),Gandalf  (10-11-2011),heeeeerekittykitty  (10-11-2011),nelle7250  (18-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is the age 8? I always thought it will cut out at 6? I cannot figure for the life of me how to even get work before DD goes to school. Everything I have thought of all comes back to "who looks after DD when she is sick?"....I cant imagine being that unreliable for any employer. Even when she gets to school, I'm imagining a part time maybe 3 days a week job if I can even find one so she isnt shoved into before and after school everyday. Ive been labelled by a sibling as a blight on society for being on benefits.......I couldnt believe it, all Im trying to do is be here for my DD until she gets to school and Id be working if I could work out how to. Funny thing is the judgemental one stayed home for 7 or 8 years with kids before back to work but because there was a husband supporting it was ok......my DD apparently is not entitled to the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i always thought it was 5 or 6 also, not 8. i thought it was when the child reaches school age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostdancer View Post
    i always thought it was 5 or 6 also, not 8. i thought it was when the child reaches school age.
    It d epends on when you went on the p ayment whether it's 6 or 7 or 8 or 16 but it becomes activity tested at 6 which means you have to work or stu dy to be entitled to it at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Great minds Ana! I was asking about this on Friday.

I am in a similar boat. I live quite comfortably. Not quite sure how I got so lucky, but I do work full time. The thing is, despite me working 30hrs a week- I still qualify for part pension. Sad, but true. Now, when my son turns 8- that'll be cut, no matter how many hours I work, how hard I try.

I know there are the costs outweigh the benefits to have grey areas on the eligiblity of these such things but it's unfortunate that it's usually the people that are sincerely trying and giving it a go that miss out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I may not be a single mum any more, but I totally agree with the OP. When I was a single mum, my XH managed to get in first and claim PPS before I could, even tho he still lived in our home and only had to pay $120 a week mortgage and I was renting. I had to claim Austudy at the single with kids rate. Just taking into account centrelink payments, my XH was over $100 a fortnight better off than me. It made it so hard because I was paying over twice as much rent as his mortgage. I lived with my mum's help. Humiliating but necessary.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Bubhub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree that the system is stupid. It's almost as though it's designed to penalise you for trying to do the right thing.

Single principal carer parent job seekers who are granted an automatic exemption (of up to 12 months) under SSAct section 602C(3) and (3A) or section 542FA(3) and (3A) will be paid a higher rate of NSA/YA for the duration of the exemption. This means that single principal carer parents who are granted an exemption due to foster caring, home schooling, facilitating distance education, caring for a large family or caring under a family law order for a child to whom they are related but are not the parent, will be paid an NSA/YA rate that matches the rate paid under PPS.
    I don't get why they can't add full-time study of the parent (with time limits like course length + 1 year) to the list of situations which allows you to continue to get the higher base rate.

As for PES, if you were getting it while on PPS, you continue to receive it while on NSA as long as it's the same course of study.

brydz is offline blessed with everyone amazing in my life
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkzy View Post
    [text deleted by moderator]
    Her partner died earlier this year and because she's my age, she's not even eligible for the widow allowance.
    You can be TOO YOUNG? that is ridiculous. A widow is a widow.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    As for the power usage that is $200 per month ... Not sure where you live that you are paying less than that but lucky you if you do !
    sweetie I don't know where YOU live, but that is ridiculously expensive. Have you looked at other providers? if you are with TRU or ORIGIN you should change your company straight up there are much cheaper alternatives. have had terrible experiences with both of those..

Quote Originally Posted by naebie View Post
    you'd think the government would want us to be furthering our educations, it's silly not to support people to study.
    ha yeah you would think! its like duh= money to educate us, means that we can get better jobs and PAY taxes rather than being paid by other peoples taxes.. effectively saving the govt money. They really are silly aren't they!!

Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    All SP's have my utmost respect and support - it's a unenviable hard gig - and I really don't know how I'd manage if I became a SP
    Thank you not that I feel like just because I'm a single mum means I deserve any more credit than other mums, its a hard gig for all of us in different ways. But it is nice to be complimented rather than belittled.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Jumping on this thread late - but everybody situation is different (unlike us all being single parents which we all have in common).

For myself I can say that I have 3 small children (currently 2, 4 and 7).

The minute I left my exhusband I started study and managed (I know it's not always easy to get it but I was lucky) to get JET funding for childcare. This means I can study part time online while my two youngest (my kids were 8 months, 2 and 5 when I started) for the few hours from 8.40-2.30 while my oldest was at school. It's not a lot of time to study but I managed.

I'm studying Primary teaching and will finish in 6 months time. I'm aiming for a job which as good hours for working around my children but I will still have to pay for before and after school care (which I'm wondering how I will manage).

I also am desperate to buy my own home as crave that security - I have managed to save a little but I couldn't afford house repayments on one income.

I didn't have to study, I could have stayed at home and waited till my youngest was at school but frankly all that time waiting is just wasted money... if you can possibly find the strength (and omg it requires some dedication) to study part time or online while your kids are young do it... if you can possibly even find a part time job at any time in anyway you will be better off as you are allowed to earn a little money.

After 8 years I guess the goverment doesn't take personal situations into account and figures it's been paying for your to take care of them for 8 years full time and expects you to go to work.

I don't know if or how much I'll manage but god damn it I'm not going to let that exhusband of mine reck my personal dreams of owning a home and providing for my children... I will work/study or do whatever it takes to bring the money in... btw I'm 39 and have never owned a home.. I know it could take till I'm 50 (I could be the oldest first home owner in the world) but I'm gonna do it if it kills me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    These ridiculous policy changes are made by pompous politicians who, for the most part recieved free educations. How nice it must be to look at your degrees pinned up on the wall of your fancy office and have no idea how much the degree actually cost, or how unreachable that bit of paper has become for some many marginalized people. Being so out of touch with reality would be lovely, unfortunately most single parents do not have the luxury of being ignorant of the costs of education.I hate the entire shift to newstart and despite it not effecting me (if I became single again I will recieve the same rate until my youngest is 16 as I have 5 kids so qualify as a "large family") I have taken this issue on board and have written letters, sent emails and thus far have gotten nowhere. I am sorry that you are affected by this so harshly. Here you were actually expecting to be allowed to live with dignity and raise your daughter with everything she needs while studying to better your life and improve your work prospects, silly you. Marginalized people are not allowed to buy steak with their payments, enjoy a glass of wine, have sex or get an education. After all the slaps already given to single parents, is this one any surprise?