+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Question Alternative to Commercial Wipes..?

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for what to use as an alternative to commercial baby wipes?
    I've got super sensitive skin and my hands were always red raw the whole time DD was in nappies, so I want to avoid the chemical laden wipes when DS arrives.
    We used the hyperallergenic huggies wipes, and can't remember what they're called but they're in a white packet with green on it, meant to be eco-friendly or skin-friendly or something.. anyway I've tried the sensitive skin ones.

I'm thinking maybe just some little soft (wet) washcloths.. but will this be enough? I want to avoid chemicals as much as possible as it's taken me 29 years to get my skin kind of under control and don't want to stuff it up!

Anyone have any suggestions ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep I just used wet washers. Got them for like 4 for $1 from spotlight. Just kept a water bottle with a pop top next to the change mat to damped washers as needed. They actually work better than commercial wipes I think, unfortunately I could never get DH on board with them and eventually stopped using them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've just made the switch to cloth wipes and I can't believe I waited so long. I just got a 10 pack of baby facewashers from Big W and they're the perfect size and weight for wipes. I just wet the clean wipe at the laundry trough or at the sink before the nappy change, use, rinse and then chuck in the wash. It means that DD always gets a warm wipe and I think they make her much cleaner. I even use them when we're out because most change areas have a sink. Better for baby, better for the environment, saves me money and just as easy as disposables. My parents said they used to use a 50:50 olive oil and rosewater mix in a spray bottle as a wipes solution

Thanks
    Reviews
    My friend uses the big chux cloths. Just has a popper of water on the change table and also a spray bottle. She rinses the chux out and puts them in a nappy bucket and washes them when needed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    chux clothes cut into 4 squares and we put lanolin on them, my dd has excema and i have super sensitive skin.it works well

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm well I won't go with the lanolin suggestion - it's my skin's mortal enemy!

I found a pack of 10 little soft mini washers at kmart today which looked perfect to use as wipes, so will give it a go. Can't believe I didn't think of this when DD was in nappies!

Thanks for the replies, good to hear this method works

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I buy disposable dry wipes from Baby Bunting (delivered!) or the chemist and keep a little bowl of water next to the change table. The wipes are by a brand called Reynard ("patient soft wipes") and don't have chemicals.

No irritated skin here

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used my love of cloth as an excuse to pull out my sewing machine. I made heeeeaps of cloth wipes with flannelette one side and terry cloth the other. I dont have an overlocker so I just used a zig zag stitch and let it fray naturally. The terry side gets off all the chunky bits, and the flannel side is nice and soft for sore bums.
    I just use water on them. I think my boys love it when they are nice and warm on their little tooshes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was given, maybe 20? baby face washers. I put about 10 in an old huggies wipes container in the morning, wet them and use them as wipes. The next morning I throw in the other 10 etc that way they're always at hand and ready to go!

Thanks
    Reviews
    i have a heap of cloth wipes, most are flanne on one side and fleece on the other so super soft and i just (well when i had a bub in nappies) use water or if i felt like splashing out i would get a foamy wipes wash. alot of places sell cloth wipes, try bubble bubs i know they do wipe and wipes wash pack.