+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Nippers at beaches with shark sightings

I have just signed my DS (7) and DD1 (6) up for surf life saving....Little Nippers. However, it is one of the clubs next to Cottesloe beach, where a man was recently killed by a shark, which is the closest perth beach to Rottnest island, where another man was mauled by a shark not long after. since these two attacks, there's been more shark sightings. they reckon there's more sightings now because sharks are a protected species, and they're on the rise in numbers.

I can't help thinking am i stupid to send my kids to surf club? when there is yet to be an action plan establishing how they're going to deal these increased shark sightings (ie would be happier if they re-installed shark nets). I know the chances of being mauled by a shark are smaller than many other types of accidents, and plenty of families have enrolled their children at the three very very busy clubs at cottesloe.

At this point, my children will only be in waist deep water, and there will be plenty of action further out with all the advanced children doing their drills, but maybe I should just enrol them in tennis instead.

I wouldn't want to swim out on those beaches, personally, but i'm on hyper alert everytime i see water.

what does everyone think? am i doing the wrong thing. i'm really having second thoughts about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm...maybe i'll bump this for the perth people....might relate to it a bit better!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm its a hard one!
    I would be worried becaise the risk is there but i think i'd still let them do it.
    I am of the belief that we notice so many sharks after someone is taken because everyone is on high alert, but in reality they are always there.
    Sorry that probly hasnt helped much

Thanks
    Reviews
    spoke to DH and he said we should try it this year, and see how it goes, because they are not super strong swimmers, they won't be going out far at all. maybe next year, i'll gain some confidence with the whole notion.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Im terrified of the beach now as an adult, but as a teen I was at Cottesloe every weekend and every day during the summer holidays. I think the surf life saving clubs would be uber safe, especially since they would know about the shark sightings etc. Its not like its a random swimming club, going into the ocean for a 'change'. Those life savers knows the beach, know those waters and assess the risks accordingly. I doubt they'd send a bunch of 7yr olds into water that they deem unsafe or too risky.
    I think its completely natural to fret and be slightly worried, but I would trust that the club knows what they are doing Let me know how it goes...waqs considering putting my 7yr old DS into it but not sure if its worth the drive out there all the time haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    i reckon sunday mornings down at the beaches are so busy, especially with Nippers and SLS clubs, that maybe there would be helicopter patrols.

the reason i'm putting them in is because i wanted them to know how to handle the ocean. but i meant waves, and rips, etc.
    when i grew up (trigg beach), sharks didn't even occur to us, and we used to swim out deep and be fearless with waves. i wish i was still that carefree.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you look at the statistics of shark attacks, you'll see that you should be far more worried about the safety implications of driving to the beach:

http://www.taronga.org.au/animals-co...latest-figures

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I can't see it as a sa fety concern for all the reasons above but as parents we worry. It's natural. It's ok to worry but try not to let the worry rule you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdad View Post
    If you look at the statistics of shark attacks, you'll see that you should be far more worried about the safety implications of driving to the beach:

http://www.taronga.org.au/animals-co...latest-figures
    thank you, that was a great read. and i know there is a lot of hype at the moment, but unfortunately the hype is linked to the exact area my kids will be swimming. like i said, i just wish i was as carefree as my younger years. I wonder if , in my younger years, swimming out in the deep, did a shark ever see me, but wasn't interested. its possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    ral. It's ok to worry but try not to let the worry rule you.
    that's exactly what my FIL would say! so true!