+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have you been to TT Plaza on a Thursday night hahaha! Kidding.

I'm not going to be overprotective but 10yo *for me* is still too young. 16 sounds like a good age!

I believe in letting kids have freedom and like you said waiting outside the library is a great start!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Same thing happens all the time with the creche at the gym i go to. Parents pop the child in for the hour-hour and half and then sneak out and go somewhere else.The gym creche conditions state that you must stay on the gym premises. I always hear parents being paged and then see creche staff walking around the gym looking for parents as their child is sick or distressed. I just dont know how people can do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post
    but I see nothing wrong with allowing a couple of 10yo's to walk to the local shopping centre to buy a present for another friend's birthday party.
    Never ever would I allow my 10 year old to do this...I know a lot of parents do, I know at that age I did but I just don't feel comfortable with it....I tend to worry too much when it comes to stuff like that....It's not for me not at that age in a couple more years I may feel differently but for now I will take them to the local shops and let them choose the presents I don't need to be right beside them but I need to be able to see or at least hear them...

That's just for me not saying it's wrong to do or judging anyone who does
    Last edited by kmetius; 07-11-2011 at 17:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Wow that's really horrible.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    sweetseven, i'm all for kids being allowed freedom and independence- i don't have any problem with kids in the library after school for a few hours. They walk up the road, grab a slurpee and come and hang until their parents pick them up/they walk home. I also have no problems with quite young primary kids staying for activities and the like. but we (and shopkeepers) are NOT a babysitting service. I agree there is a fine line, but i think preschooler on his own for an hour= not ok, or any aged kid sent to the library all day also = not ok. For starters it's not that much fun Why not just let them stay home? It's not a great solution for really little kids, but i seriously don't understand why some parents think they'd be better off in a public place than in their own home

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (07-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, speaking for myself - at 10 I was allowed to cycle to the local shops, visit the library and borrow books, etc. I got properly lost a few times, but nothing serious.

Occasionally I'd cycle down to the airport & wander around the ramp looking at the light aircraft (those were the days). My father had told me how to be safe around aircraft, & the airport in question was not busy. Still, the rules were clear: hang around the light / GA aircraft, stay the hell away from the terminals & apron, don't walk backwards, don't run, look twice both ways before crossing taxiways, listen for people calling before startup, KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN, etc.

Mind you, I grew up in a small town (pop. ~ 40k at the time).

Crime was low, and it was the sort of place where if you did get lost, you could pop into the corner store and ask to use the phone to call your parents. People knew each other, and there were usually kids everywhere.

Perhaps it comes down to where you live? I'd be A-OK with my 10 year old child going down to the shops to pick up something in Belgrave or Tecoma, but I'd be bloody worried about it if I lived in Footscray.

(No offense meant to anyone who lives in Footscray - I work there, and we recently had staff members threatened by a junkie with a used syringe. If I lived there, I'd be looking to move before raising children. Great food, multicultural environment, but a little bit rough. Definitely a good place to visit or work.).

Oh yeah, and sometimes I would spend all day in the local library. But I was a geek, & that was my own choice :-) My idea of a good time was a pocket computer, a stack of programming books, pencils, and line-flow paper. Cheaper than arcade games :-)
    Last edited by duncan_bayne; 08-11-2011 at 07:34.

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdad View Post
    Perhaps it comes down to where you live?
    completly agree! I allowed my 13 year old DD to catch the school bus to school for the first time last year, reason being we moved out of Brisbane to a regional area.

There is no way I would have let her catch the public bus in Brisbane ... where as here I was more confident.

I know she has alot more freedom here than she ever would have in Brisbane.

As for leaving my little ones alone in shops, never ... 90% of my wage goes in daycare fees, but I'd rather pay that and know they are safe.

------------
    Sent from my mobile device ... please excuse the typing missed cakes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We're not talking about kid s being allowed to walk on their own to certain places for a visit. More about when they are d umped there to be babysat by staff who work in retail NOT childcare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    We're not talking about kid s being allowed to walk on their own to certain places for a visit. More about when they are d umped there to be babysat by staff who work in retail NOT childcare.
    Yeah, that sucks. I've worked in retail before - if that happened to me I'd be calling the cops quick-smart.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Omg that poor child