+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    We allow alcohol at kids birthday celebrations FOR adults only to consume - how else can a child learn the responsible consumption of alcohol?
    Are you serious?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DH is very anti-alcohol at kids parties and I've always been a bit of a fence sitter with this issue until my eldest daughters birthday party (5th bday) this year. I cracked a bottle of champagne, to celebrate my getting a job and shared it between 4 people, so 1-ish glass each, but then everyone else cracked out the full strength beer, bourbon, scotch etc and I was SO angry There is a huge difference between a glass of champers and several cans/mugs of hard liquor and whilst no one got completely sh!tfaced, the focus certainly was no longer on the kids

NEVER again will I allow alcohol at a kids party.

I agree with a PP LemonHead, put "No alcohol please" on the invitation. If it upsets ppl then they don't have to come.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd write on the invites please understand as children are around we would prefer no drinking thanks or something similar I too don't like drinking at kids parties

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyLittleTootsies View Post
    I also have never agreed on the "I have one or two drinks to show my kids responsible drinking". Well I never drink in front of my kids, and my parents didn't either, I can have one glass of wine at an event, I didn't need my parents drinking at my kids parties to show me how to drink 15 years later when I tured 18 . Suprised that some of the people advocating it on here are so high on facts and stats that they don't know the one that says normalising drinking at every event is what leads to a child modelling the thinking that you need drinks for every social event. It doesn't model moderation.

I just don't see the need? Why do people need to have drinks? What is wrong with other fun drinks.
    I believe that a good glass of wine is for enjoying with dinner and that is what I want to teach DS. I believe that not drinking at all is also teaching your kids responsible drinking.

As for other fun drinks.... well I can't think of any fun drinks apart from a good wine lol.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

TinyLittleTootsies  (07-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Areca View Post
    Are you serious?
    Let me expand - alcohol (as much as I despise the stuff personally) is served TO adults BY adults in social and family settings at gatherings in MY house including a childs birthday partyuu as I see it as important for kids to SEE alcohol being consumed sensibly in moderation. Just as my kids see me drive carefully etc etc

The second part of my post - which you didn't quote -
    But certainly not when it's kids only or a party designed just for kids

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

Jurty  (07-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't think it's very fair for people to deem alcohol at children's parties 'inappropriate' (as a few have said).

Some people enjoy a glass of wine or beer. I think it all depends on context. At DD's birthday party the balance was heavily in favour of adults, and the party continued after she had gone to bed. No one was drunk, and everyone enjoyed themselves in a civilised way.

If it was a 10am party at an adventure park, then maybe a cup of tea would be more suitable...

Depends on context, and up to the individual, but I don't think there is anything intrinsically inappropriate about it.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Bubhub

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Jurty  (07-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    I don't think it's very fair for people to deem alcohol at children's parties 'inappropriate' (as a few have said).

Some people enjoy a glass of wine or beer. I think it all depends on context. At DD's birthday party the balance was heavily in favour of adults, and the party continued after she had gone to bed. No one was drunk, and everyone enjoyed themselves in a civilised way.

If it was a 10am party at an adventure park, then maybe a cup of tea would be more suitable...

Depends on context, and up to the individual, but I don't think there is anything intrinsically inappropriate about it.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Bubhub
    Personally I do think it's inappropriate at a children's party, most should be able to abstain while at a party for a 5yo it's about celebrating that little person why should anyone need a drink?..

I also have heavily adult dominated parties and request no drinking and I've been very peeved when people have ignored this and they haven't received invites the next year tbh. If it's requested you abstain for a day why is that so bad?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    Let me expand - alcohol (as much as I despise the stuff personally) is served TO adults BY adults in social and family settings at gatherings in MY house including a childs birthday partyuu as I see it as important for kids to SEE alcohol being consumed sensibly in moderation. Just as my kids see me drive carefully etc etc

The second part of my post - which you didn't quote -
    I didn't quote the second part of your post because it wasn't relevant to what I was asking. I was just very surprised by the first part of your post....probably more so because it was you saying it. I disagree with the first part of your post but need to go so I can elaborate further later if need be (plus I've had 2 hours sleep and not sure I can construct what I want to say properly...but I can at least try).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just looking for clarity- why is it inappropriate? Im talking someone having a single glass of wine or a beer?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mummykitty View Post
    Personally I do think it's inappropriate at a children's party, most should be able to abstain while at a party for a 5yo it's about celebrating that little person why should anyone need a drink?..

I also have heavily adult dominated parties and request no drinking and I've been very peeved when people have ignored this and they haven't received invites the next year tbh. If it's requested you abstain for a day why is that so bad?
    Are you saying its inappropriate for me at my sons party to consume alcohol, or saying you feel it's inappropriate in your family?

Because the latter I'll agree with an support you 100%

But I'd take offense if you mean you think my choices with my family have been inappropriate.