+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    can you make a note in the invite that it is BYO soft beverages only make it a bit of a joke & hopefully noone will be offended. Unfortunately alcohol & kids parties dont mix (even though it sure does make them more bearable). Your party your rules.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think if you don't want alcohol served at future parties i'd pop 'please no alcohol' on the invite or something to that effect.

I'm personally quite happy for people to bring and drink alcohol if we have a BBQ for Jasper's birthdays in the afternoon/evening which we have so far, but I am thinking once he's old enough that his parties are 'his' friends, and not our friends, that will certainly change.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

earthfairy  (07-11-2011),FloatingFairy  (08-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LucyB View Post
    I think at a dedicated party for kids - like kindy or school friends etc then it would be inappropriate. However, if it's a gathering of family and friends them I don't have a problem with some bubbles being served with the cake.
    yes I agree with this. To me alcohol is a social thing to enjoy in the company of other adults so it would be quite unnecessary and inappropriate at an all children's party.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    Sorry but I think the original post-

was implying that if you do serve/drink alcohol at a kids party you can't enjoy the party without it, and therefore have a problem- which isn't the case for most people. For most people it is simply another drink option, not being served for its alcoholic properties, as no-one is getting intoxicated from it.

I wouldn't usually weigh in a debate like this but I think what ICanDream is saying is being misrepresented.
    That is NOT what I was implying at all, it says NOTHING​ of the sort.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (07-11-2011),Lemmings  (07-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    LH, because it is your party I would just say on the invite "alcohol free kids party" at the bottom of the invites to close family who will bring drinks. I wouldn't supply it either if your preference is to not have drinks there, as I would imagine that would set the tone for them in what to expect every year.

I don't think that you are alcoholic if you have a drink or two at a kids party, but I personally don't understand the culture of having drinks at every single event/gathering. I also have never agreed on the "I have one or two drinks to show my kids responsible drinking". Well I never drink in front of my kids, and my parents didn't either, I can have one glass of wine at an event, I didn't need my parents drinking at my kids parties to show me how to drink 15 years later when I tured 18 . Suprised that some of the people advocating it on here are so high on facts and stats that they don't know the one that says normalising drinking at every event is what leads to a child modelling the thinking that you need drinks for every social event. It doesn't model moderation.

I just don't see the need? Why do people need to have drinks? What is wrong with other fun drinks.

I would be upset to leave my children at a kids party with adults there drinking, so I would say it is a definite no alcohol for school aged kids parties at least.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TinyLittleTootsies For This Useful Post:

Areca  (07-11-2011),delirium  (07-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    That is NOT what I was implying at all, it says NOTHING​ of the sort.
    Something along the lines of...

If you HAVE to have alcohol there then there is a drinking issue?

We can have parties with or without alcohol... But just because we have alcohol doesn't mean there is an issue...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chocolate All Gone Now For This Useful Post:

FloatingFairy  (08-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate All Gone Now View Post

We can have parties with or without alcohol... But just because we have alcohol doesn't mean there is an issue...
    Having alcohol there isn't an issue for most people. *Having* to have alcohol there is an iss ue yeah?

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate All Gone Now View Post

That's what she *did* say though
    If you *can't* enjoy a party without = if you *have* to have alcohol present. They have the same meaning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    Sorry but I think the original post-

was implying that if you do serve/drink alcohol at a kids party you can't enjoy the party without it, and therefore have a problem- which isn't the case for most people. For most people it is simply another drink option, not being served for its alcoholic properties, as no-one is getting intoxicated from it.

I wouldn't usually weigh in a debate like this but I think what ICanDream is saying is being misrepresented.
    It wasn't what was said at all and Im not even sure where you're getting that interpretation from! it was mentioned that people wouldnt turn up or get annoyed about not being able to drink. Hence the comment was totally relevant to what was said. It says if you CANT enjoy a kids party without alcohol you have a problem. Not if you CAN enjoy the party without alcohol but chose not to.

far out welcome to bubhub where simple comments get turned into something that was never said.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by dancinginthestorm View Post
    I think it would be a minority of people that would "booze it up" at a children's birthday party.
    I would hope so to, but was talking from personal experience. Half the IL's have a problem with booze. It's not unusual for the SMIL to drink 2 bottles of wine on her own at dinner and the BIL drinks like its water. That's not what I want at my kids parties and have made that clear by having morning events.

If they were able to drink in moderation, I'd probably be ok with it if we had parties in the arvo. But they can't, so ..........

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Jurty  (07-11-2011)