+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Your kids, their party. You don't want alcohol don't have it. If people can't respect that then I would be seriously considering if I want them in my life. Like others have said if you can't enjoy yourself without alcohol you have an issue.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (07-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BerylsMum View Post
    I guess thats the point Big Red..
    if you have people like that then you would probably be way more calm about it.

I have family that have addiction issues and cannot have just one..so for me just one beer = drunken idiots!
    Yeh, like I said, the only 2 people in our family with alcohol issues have been sober for years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Homestar View Post
    Then whats the issue? she said for those than CANT enjoy the party without alcohol they have a problem, and shes right. If you cant go 2 hours at a kids party without drinking you have a problem.
    Exactly! If you *can't* then it's a problem. If you *can* but choose not to then it's not a problem. How hard is that to work out

5. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Lemmings  (07-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    No way in hell is alcohol allowed at my kids parties.

My dd went to a birthday sleepover party once where she had to ring me, to come get her because there was a alcohol fueled brawl. The police arrived at the same time we did. We wouldn't have allowed her to go if we had known that alcohol was going to be there. We have never made that mistake again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    I'm going against the grain too.

We serve alcohol at our kid's parties, and most parties we go to they do the same. We might buy a couple of bottles of wine and a carton of beer for everyone to share. Usually theres a fair bit left over. No-one ever brings their own as its not a p!ss up, just having a glass of wine at a bbq rather than a soft drink type thing.

We have only started doing this since have become civilised and moved to Melbourne , before that in our home town we NEVER served alcohol, because if we did, one carton would never be enough, and it would inevitably end up as a big drinking session for the adults (as it does back home) which isn't my idea of a good kid's party.

I think that it is completely fair not to serve alcohol and to request that its alcohol free (I'd just say it straight out or put it on the invites). But I also think its fine to have alcohol if you want, its not indicitive of an alcohol problem.

In fact, I'd probably go so far as to say people who DON'T have problems with alcohol can enjoy a beer at a kids party without it being an issue. When there are problem drinkers or binge drinkers around one beer will never be just one, and thats when it causes issues and best not to have it there at all. Thats how it is my experience anyway.
    I agree

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

earthfairy is offline Winner 2009 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    In Antarctica for 12 months.... I mean Tassie!!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    I'm going to go against the grain, we have always had alcohol at our kids parties, whether or not they have been at home or in the park. We have never had any one get drunk or close too (it's only our closest family and friends) and it has never caused a problem.

I think it is very much each to your own and what you and your family are comfortable with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    Same here. I always serve alcohol at parties at our home. Drinking doesn't equal getting drunk for me or my family / friends.

I don't object to children's parties where alcohol isn't served though. Each to their own.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Bubhub
    I tend to agree with both of these posts.

My father was an alcoholic & yet I personally dont have an issue with RESPONSIBLE drinking by adults. Our friends & family are all great people who love to have a drink - socially & celebratory too - including at a child's birthday party. Providing it is in an appropriate place ie: home & everyone is being responsible I dont see an issue.

Guests at DD1 1st Birthday party brought eskies & enjoyed a few drinks which doesnt bother me at all. And her 2nd birthday dinner was in a pub! Drinking doesn't necessarily mean getting blind rotten drunk.

But LH - you have to do what YOU feel comfortable with - it is YOUR child & you set the boundaries & rules for the day

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to earthfairy For This Useful Post:

FloatingFairy  (08-11-2011),me+he=3  (07-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not a big drinker, so I haven't had a drink at DS's or any other childrens party. DF however, not a big drinker either. Although, he does have a couple after lunch at DS's birthdays. FIL, his brother, and a mate usually have one with him. It's never a problem. But I would be quite irked if people showed up expecting alcohol!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Exactly! If you *can't* then it's a problem. If you *can* but choose not to then it's not a problem. How hard is that to work out
    I assume this was at me. It's not hard to "work out" at all, I just don't agree that if you serve alcohol it means you "can't" enjoy a party without it. That's all I was trying to say, it seems like the line is drawn that if you have alcohol at a party then it is clear you can't enjoy said party without it and therefore you have an issue. The two are separate and quite clear but it didn't seem that people were making that distinction. Sorry if I'm the only one that was reading it that way, perhaps I am a little waterlogged from swimming!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

FloatingFairy  (08-11-2011)

earthfairy is offline Winner 2009 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    In Antarctica for 12 months.... I mean Tassie!!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Just a reminder to keep it friendly please!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    I assume this was at me. It's not hard to "work out" at all, I just don't agree that if you serve alcohol it means you "can't" enjoy a party without it. That's all I was trying to say, it seems like the line is drawn that if you have alcohol at a party then it is clear you can't enjoy said party without it and therefore you have an issue. The two are separate and quite clear but it didn't seem that people were making that distinction. Sorry if I'm the only one that was reading it that way, perhaps I am a little waterlogged from swimming!
    But no one said that if you serve it you cant go without it! you're putting words in her mouth (or fingers?) she was referring to the people who would kick up a stink or not even come to the party if they couldn't drink