+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't mind adults having a few, without getting drunk. But DH's family pretty much always end up sh!tfaced, and that's when I have a problem with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Well the 2 people in my or my partner's family who have drinking problems are sober and in AA. I don't have a problem with people having 1 or 2 drinks at a kid's party. Two of my daughter's 3 birthdays have been at a playcentre or a park, and one at home. People only drank at the one at home as there was no alcohol at the others. Nobody I know would drink themselves stupid at a child's birthday anyway and cause a scene. The parties are over and done with within 3 hours maximum. I have always supplied alcohol at the birthday parties at home. I bought 6 bottles of wine and a carton of beer for my son's first birthday that we had here and ended up giving all the wine away to people as we don't drink it, and there's still loads of corona in our fridge left over from my son's party that was in July. I hardly think we have a drinking problem
    Last edited by BigRedV; 07-11-2011 at 10:51.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

FloatingFairy  (08-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    I don't drink ever and no one in my family has a drinking problem, that's a pretty big net to cast. Just because some families enjoying celebrating birthdays of any age without banning alcohol doesn't imply their is a drinking problem.
    I never said 'if you do drink at childrens birthdays...', I said 'if you can't enjoy it without'.

Please don't misrepresent what I said.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (07-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm okay with it but if anyone was to get absolutely rancid then I would have a problem. I don't drink myself (maybe once or twice a year) and if I do it's purely for complimenting my meal or toasting for special occasions. I don't really understand the whole drinking to get drunk thing. Maybe in my childless early 20's but now I'm a bit over it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I agree BlissedOut, if you honestly struggle to do 2 hours without alcohol there is bigger issues there.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lemonhead For This Useful Post:

share a book  (07-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    I never said 'if you do drink at childrens birthdays...', I said 'if you can't enjoy it without'.

Please don't misrepresent what I said.
    I didn't misrepresent anything, I quoted you word for word and put my opinion underneath. I still think it is a fairly wide net to cast to say if you can't enjoy a childrens party without alcohol then there must be a drinking problem. I can assure you no one in my family has issues and it's pretty rough of people to say there is just because we have a different take on parties than others.

I would have an issue if anyone got drunk at a kid's party but having alcohol present doesn't offend me. Each to their own.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

FloatingFairy  (08-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    At my nephew's party this year in January (he turned 1), there was a range of wine and beers available, provided by my sister and BIL. Funny thing is not many people drank much and they had heaps left, the guests just aren't the p!ss head types! It was a beautiful day at a park and everyone was very civilised, I guess my family is just like that, we know how to enjoy a drink or two without overdoing it. Plus, half the people there were the designated drivers so they didn't want to drink and drive.

But OP if you don't want alcohol at future parties, maybe state on the invites "No Alcohol please"...? How would they respond to that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm going to go against the grain, we have always had alcohol at our kids parties, whether or not they have been at home or in the park. We have never had any one get drunk or close too (it's only our closest family and friends) and it has never caused a problem.

I think it is very much each to your own and what you and your family are comfortable with.
    Same here. I always serve alcohol at parties at our home. Drinking doesn't equal getting drunk for me or my family / friends.

I don't object to children's parties where alcohol isn't served though. Each to their own.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Bubhub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't misrepresent anything, I quoted you word for word and put my opinion underneath. I still think it is a fairly wide net to cast to say if you can't enjoy a childrens party without alcohol then there must be a drinking problem. I can assure you no one in my family has issues and it's pretty rough of people to say there is just because we have a different take on parties than others.

I would have an issue if anyone got drunk at a kid's party but having alcohol present doesn't offend me. Each to their own.
    Just to be totally clear. You're saying you (and your family) can't enjoy a kids birthday if you aren't drinking?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I loathe it, but for the same reasons as you LH. Just don't think alcohol is required at kids parties, but then I've pretty funny about the whole subject of alcohol full stop. There are people I know that get loaded at their kids bday parties and I think, surely you could have drank the other 22 hours in that day?? I don't so much have an issue with parents consuming sensible amounts for a family BBQ, but for a party for a child, no No judgments intended there though, just how I feel