+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I have been burnt badly before (6 yr old party ended up with dd calling while hidding due to a drunken brawl, police involved and a whole lot more).

I have 5 kids with another one the way ranging from 3 to 17. I seen alot at parties in that time and it is something I am in no way comfortable with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Fair enough I'd be pretty upset if my child was in that situation.

So even one drink is one drink too many in your opinion?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    So just to clarify, and I ask this with complete sincerity and no judgement at all... would you not allow your child to attend a party as I've explained it above? Would you feel the same way if your child slept over at a friend's house and their mother had a glass of wine with dinner, or at your parent's house and your Dad had a beer after he mowed the lawn or something?
    There's a difference between managing a group of kids in a high excitement situation with a stranger and visiting my parents for me.

I also know my parents drinking habits and feel comfortable with them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    Fair enough I'd be pretty upset if my child was in that situation.

So even one drink is one drink too many in your opinion?
    Yes, if they are supervising my kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    For people who think it's ok to d rink at child ren's parties what's the protocol with that? Will it be said to any other parents in the invitation? Before the party? On arrival? Will they have to find out later on collection? Would you as s ume it's ok to drink at a party where other people's children are or would you talk to other parents first?
    I trust my friends and family judgement well enough to make their own decisions - they are old enough to make their own decisions and I don't know anybody silly enough who would drink and drive nor get violently drunk around kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I ask about alcohol when dropping off my kids.
    I ask if anyone will be getting drunk.

I also ask about drugs.

I will not leave my kids in that enviroment. I have taken DD home from a party because the mum had a wine in her hand, i will do i again.

I have watched my old next door neighbour get drunk and take herself and the kids out..including playdate kids!!! People are not to be trusted!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Meh Each to their own.

OP, if you don't want alcohol, then simply say so and its up to you whether or not you chose to follow through with that and police it or let it slide (as in if people just rock up with their esky of VB's do you tell them to not drink it/leave or just say nothing.

As for wanting to get some alcohol for this upcoming bday (its been hours since I read the OP lol) I agree with the PP who said probably best not to if you havent already commited it as it will probably set a precedent but again, your party, your rules.
    Next party just simply state no alcohol please.

Me, I probably am a "borderline alcholic" according to all the statistics and studies you could ever find lol but I'm ok with that.
    I grew up not seeing my parents drink and not being around it but lo and behold....I drink almost every day sometimes...othertimes, I go weeks without a drink. I don't need to, I just enjoy it.
    As we've gotten older, we have become more exposed to alcohol with our parents, but we (siblings and myelf) had all already started underage binge drinking as teens anyway so it had nothing to do with what we saw from our parents behaviour.
    Nowadays, there is always alcohol present for every social gathering that we host/attend. it's the norm for our family.

There was alcohol at DD's 1st birthday. As soon as my mum turn up she poured me a glass of wine.
    Not everyone drank but I think most people did. No one got drunk, it was just a couple of glasses to enjoy and refresh us because it was 1000 degree's.
    Aside from BIL (who never attends family functions anyway) and FIL, no one in either of our families (that we invite to family gatherings) go over board or are inapprorpriate when alcohol is present. Even FIL who IS an alcoholic doesnt do anything he shouldn't - his alcoholism only comes out in private when no ones around. My parents dont even know that he's an alcoholic.

Each to their own

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Im with the OP on this one. My DP says "the first couple of birthday parties a kid has are really for the adults anyways" and that makes me so frustrated. And it makes me wonder why it is so necessary for some people to drink to have a good time? I really don't want any children I have growing up thinking that alcohol is needed to have fun and this is the message that is often sent by my DP and his family. Had a long hard day? Crack a beer. Something good going on? Crack a beer. Going to a party? Crack a beer. Enjoying yourself with family and friends? Crack a beer. Expecting someone over? Make sure you can offer them a cold beer. It all just hovers around alcohol and I would love it if my DP and his family can put this culture aside when it comes to children's birthday parties. I don't eat junk food for every single one of these reasons. To me it suggests that drinking in moderation is a necessity for having a good time and relaxing in any way.

Not to mention, had a long hot dehydrating day? Drinking alcohol will just dehydrate you more, you are better off with juice or water.

I have no problem with people who drink at kids birthdays (providing they are not responsible for the kids) but I just dont like it and dont believe its nescessary.