+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    lol it starts in kinder and yes it does freak you out I'm lucky DD goes to a small school but there are 2 classes in her year level, and most of the girls she was buddies with in kinder are now in the other class, so it's like a new class again. Honestly, I hate it and I worry when I don't know the parents. But DD is so desperate to go and wanting some independence (she's 7 ). I feel weird asking to stay when I don't know them. So I usually turn up 10 mins early lol

Last year she got invited by a *ahem* very rough family, and I don't just mean poor. I wouldn't let her go.
    Last edited by delirium; 07-11-2011 at 17:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    Yeah I can agree with that.

I can't imagine just dropping jasper & leaving, but he's still little. When do those type parties start? I really don't want to host parties where parents drop off & leave either until he's like umm 18 or so. Lol.

(I guess like 10 or so?)
    In my experince, birthday parties start in Kinder, so about 4ish, but a lot of parents stay at that age. By about 6ish many parents drop and run. I was a bit weirded out at that at first, and I collect the parents mobile phone numbers BEFORE they leave, generally when they RSVP LOL.

I have been dropping and running for a few years now with DS after shoving a card in one pocket with mine and MOTHs phn numbers and a prepaid locked mobile in the other, the birthday present under one wing and the birthday card under the other.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yeah that would be hard. Gosh that's only a year away!

Umm I think I'll be putting on invites to his next party 'parents required' lol. Cos I'm not gonnna try to supervise a bunch of preschoolers!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The last party my child had where parents stayed was her 6th birthday but that was in the open at a park with no fence. Her 5th party was at our house and all of the parents from daycare dropped them off then came back 2 hours later so I had about 10 children with only myself and my mum here to watch them. How would people feel if they came back to find their 4 or 5 year old child being s upervised by 2 people who had a beer in their hand? It was a rather warm afternoon too. A beer would have been nice. Her 7th+8th party have been parent-free apart from a couple.
    Last edited by share a book; 07-11-2011 at 17:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I totally agree in cases where other kids are being dropped off that alcohol shouldn't be there at all.
    At present my kids only have b'days at home with family/close friends so it isn't really an issue (for me) if a couple of drinks are had - we all know each very well and nobody is getting drunk.
    If other kids were there i would make it a no alcohol zone because i know that if it was my child being dropped off i would not want alcohol there - because i don't know how much is going to be drunk. I hadn't really been thinking of school parties (because that is years away for me) but yes i agree that alcohol should not appear in those type of kid's parties.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son had his first birthday a couple of months ago. We only had close family at the party and were fine with them drinking. Most of them are smokers so they went outside a lot of the time anyway. I think I'd be fine with alcohol for the first few years, or if it was ONLY family. But in any case when he starts school and makes friends there/wants them over for birthdays THEN I will make it a no-alcohol party.

The only reason I allowed alcohol at his birthday was cuz there were a dozen adults and he was the only kid. I know what the adults are like when drinking. If we had a birthday that was mostly family, but had a few kids as well, I'd probably refrain from allowing alcohol too, especially out of respect for the parents, they have a right to know their child is in good hands. (I'd probably invite the parents along anyway)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Next time mine is invited to a home party I will have to remember to ask if alcohol will be involved. If so s he won't be allowed to attend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If I go to a kids party ..I prefer to have a couple of drinks!!!
    At my girls parties..we have alcohol..and on her 2nd bday..I had a few to many!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Next time mine is invited to a home party I will have to remember to ask if alcohol will be involved. If so s he won't be allowed to attend.
    I always do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by loving6 View Post
    I always do.
    I never realised people actually thought it was ok to drink alcohol at a child's party until this thread. What an eye-opener!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (07-11-2011)